First contact today!

We have data on this.

A huge majority weren't carrying a UP, but a large majority were carrying a UA.

You have nothing.
You would need to know the total amount of players looking while carrying a UA or UP, and the total amount of players looking and not carrying anything...and i don't mean just the forum crowd.
Of each set of those players you would then have to establish the hyperdiction percentage for comparison.
For that you would also need to take the total amount of attempts (jumps) of each player into consideration.
You simply don't have that data, you got absolutely zip, nada.
And even if you had, the result would still only be circumstancial.
Because OF COURSE people with UA/UP had more hyperdictions.
Why ? Simply because so many were carrying them.
If they all had carried fruit and vegetables or domestic appliances, would you then take that as proof that those items increased the hyperdiction probability ?
And if FD came out today and state that UAs/UPs indeed DID increase the chance, you would still not have proven it.
All you would have done is having a lucky guess at a 50/50 bet.
In that case, grats.

Last edited:
You have nothing.
You would need to know the total amount of players looking while carrying a UA or UP, and the total amount of players looking and not carrying anything...and i don't mean just the forum crowd.
Of each set of those players you would then have to establish the hyperdiction percentage for comparison.
For that you would also need to take the total amount of attempts (jumps) of each player into consideration.
If they all had carried fruit and vegetables or domestic appliances, would you then take that as proof that those items increased the hyperdiction probability ?
And if FD came out today and state that UAs/UPs indeed DID increase the chance, you would still not have proven it.
In that case, grats.

I can see what your overall message was but if you're actually right, there's NO NEED to use capital letters. If people are on their home pc, they can use ctrl+ or ctrl and their mouse wheel. Let's get along and enjoy Elite shall we

Cheers, fly safe

Last edited:
You have nothing.
In that case, grats.

I will simply add that there is a huge difference between "having data" and "interpreting data". The possibilities you mention are actually considered.

And please be more respectful in your future messages. Or go play your way and let us play ours.

Wow that was rude to CMDR Fenrar and you obviously fail the see the logic within your rants. Let me give you some much needed clarification in your patronising flaws:

By statistical chance, it's better to have the entire total obviously but you're right, people outside frontier don't have access to that information. However, let's say for instance you had 100 people, then I find it difficult to see how you struggle with the maths, based on ratio?

To help you out, try looking at Google for the word 'ratio' to gain a better understanding before insulting people. Otherwise you also risk offending other people.

I can see what your overall message was but if you're actually right, there's NO NEED to use capital letters. If people are on their home pc, they can use ctrl+ or ctrl and their mouse wheel. If you intentionally antagonise people, you just risk ending up making yourself look stupid. Let's get along and enjoy Elite shall we?

Cheers, fly safe

I used capital letters because i was on my phone and couldn't highlight the passages in bold (as i usually do), nothing more to it.
This i did on 3 words, which i'd hardly consider "shouting" given the overall length of my reply.
I am not going to reiterate my point, i think i made it quite clear the first time around.
You, and i don't mean you personally but "that side of the argument", do not have the required survey parameters to support the claim you make.
Understand, i'm have nothing against the theory, it would actually make perfect sense if it were true. But that in itself doesn't make it true....no matter how hard you try.
Let me assure you i am aware of terms like ratio and sample sizes btw.
That my post came across antagonizing/condescending wasn't an intention, it was however a possible side effect i willingly accepted on this occasion.
Very few things can get me "worked up". Things which, to me, look like obvious "nonsense" are one of them...and this is such a case, i'm afraid.

Cheers, and fly safe to you too ofc.

Last edited:
Wow that was rude to CMDR Fenrar and you obviously fail the see the logic within your rants. Let me give you some much needed clarification in your patronising flaws:

By statistical chance, it's better to have the entire total obviously but you're right, people outside frontier don't have access to that information. However, let's say for instance you had 100 people, then I find it difficult to see how you struggle with the maths, based on ratio?

To help you out, try looking at Google for the word 'ratio' to gain a better understanding before insulting people. Otherwise you also risk offending other people.

I can see what your overall message was but if you're actually right, there's NO NEED to use capital letters. If people are on their home pc, they can use ctrl+ or ctrl and their mouse wheel. If you intentionally antagonise people, you just risk ending up making yourself look stupid. Let's get along and enjoy Elite shall we?

Cheers, fly safe

While Keyweg is putting it in a somewhat aggressive way, he does have a point.

The percentages of interdicted Commanders carrying UAs and UPs can only tell you something about their possible effect on interdiction if you know the equivalent percentages for all commanders (interdicted and not interdicted).

To see a way in which this might work, consider a scenario where 1000 commanders fly around trying to get interdicted, 10 (1%) of them have UPs and 990 don't, 990 (99%) of them have UAs and 10 of them don't.
If they fly around for a week and 100 get interdicted, 3 of them carrying UPs and 66 carrying UAs.

In this case, commanders carrying UPs would be 3 times as likely than average to have been interdicted, and those carrying UAs would have been a third less likely to be stopped.

This could actually be done as an experiment, if enough people sign up at the start (and maybe log their initial jump counter and hyperspace distance from the stats panel), and randomly take UAs, UPs, enable/disable shields, etc. then jump around for a set period (or set number of jumps, or set number of lys travelled) and then report how many interdictions they've had.

I used capital letters because i was on my phone and couldn't highlight the passages in bold (as i usually do), nothing more to it.

You type a [ then a B then a ] before the text you want in bold, and then almost the same afterwards, but this time there is a / before the B. no need to highlight anything.

It is great to see that contact was made! I am looking forward to seeing how this all plays out and what becomes of these aliens. Has it basically been decided that they are the aliens from the previous iterations of the game?

You have nothing.
In that case, grats.
We can make some assumptions, which aren't nothing. All investigation begins with no knowledge, but a question that must be tested. Funny how you didn't even propose a solution, though, unlike Alun T, and he's the one that will get my response.

While Keyweg is putting it in a somewhat aggressive way, he does have a point.

The percentages of interdicted Commanders carrying UAs and UPs can only tell you something about their possible effect on interdiction if you know the equivalent percentages for all commanders (interdicted and not interdicted).

To see a way in which this might work, consider a scenario where 1000 commanders fly around trying to get interdicted, 10 (1%) of them have UPs and 990 don't, 990 (99%) of them have UAs and 10 of them don't.
If they fly around for a week and 100 get interdicted, 3 of them carrying UPs and 66 carrying UAs.

In this case, commanders carrying UPs would be 3 times as likely than average to have been interdicted, and those carrying UAs would have been a third less likely to be stopped.

This could actually be done as an experiment, if enough people sign up at the start (and maybe log their initial jump counter and hyperspace distance from the stats panel), and randomly take UAs, UPs, enable/disable shields, etc. then jump around for a set period (or set number of jumps, or set number of lys travelled) and then report how many interdictions they've had.

I'm aware of such sampling bias, but there's a sort of underlying assumption. That poll in particular showed 77.5% of interdicted commanders were carrying UA's. If you assume that most commanders are just trading, smuggling, pirating, bounty hunting, mining, or just passing through, then it's unlikely that 77.5% actually reflects the base population (non-interdicted + interdicted) carrying UA's. With the base assumption that on average, commanders are only carrying around a UA maybe 5% of the time, then 77.5% would seem almost to be proof that a UA has a strong influence.

However, since this became a big story, that number is definitely higher - but how much higher is anyone's guess. Most guesses would probably place it lower than 78%, though, but if we could get some real data instead of guesswork that'd be golden.

It'd be great if a big group of Canonn members got together to study this. Have a control group with no cargo, the test group with UA's, a test group with UP's, and a test group with both, and have them count their jumps and interdictions. That'd be the real way to do it well.

I'm not pretending that the numbers we already have are anything more than, well, guesswork, working off that weak assumption of a < 78% of players carrying a UA for any given jump.

The FE 1 Sector could be worth a look guys im out here poking around at the moment but perhaps it stands for first encounters 1 :) or it could be nothing

Ok...just got hyperdicted...

Pleiades Sector FC-U B3-1

67.6 LY from Maia - prob 3 or 4 36+LY jumps

No UA or UA...empty cargo

Now I did try the other day with a different ship and had a UA and did not get hyperdicted...so not sure if you have had to have a UA at some point or not...

Anyways...very cool in person!

Now I did try the other day with a different ship and had a UA and did not get hyperdicted...so not sure if you have had to have a UA at some point or not...

You have never needed a UA. The very first interdiction was without a UA as per the CMDRs post when he described the situation. Just the player base here jumped to an incorrect assumption.

So is their a known area now for being hyperdicted? Is this 'the shell' I've seen mentioned?
How big is it?

From the front page of this thread -
WHERE TO FIND A UA
Since 1.4 was released UAs can be found in systems that are between 135 and 150 Ly from Merope, with Merope being the center of what we now call "The Shell". There is a list of confirmed systems in the Canonn Scientific Data Archive: 1.4 UA Spawn Systems. In these systems a single UA will appear as salvage in most Strong Signal Sources. Usually a SSS will appear within a few minutes of arrival in the system but it has been known to take up to about 30 minutes. Our recommendation is that if you don’t find a UA (in a system that is the correct distance from Merope) within 10 minutes then try another system.

This thread has become ridiculously cyclical lately - people really should try checking the front page posts with a simple search - it will save you all a vast number of frustrated hours re-treading old ground

Last edited:
Thanks, actually I do read The Cannon 1st post from time to time, last time was 1-2 weeks ago & it has been significantly updated since then ;).
The 1st post in this thread talks about 1st contact & says nothing about later analysis of various encounters.

Thanks, actually I do read The Cannon 1st post from time to time, last time was 1-2 weeks ago & it has been significantly updated since then ;).
The 1st post in this thread talks about 1st contact & says nothing about later analysis of various encounters.

Hah I do apologise, I thought this was that thread :D please - slap me with a kipper, I deserve it.

UA's have been around ad doing that since 1.4 though.

Lol, kipper slapped ;)....... I won't have that 1 smoked for breakfast though! :p
Re UAs, yea long been aware of them, I didn't realise the 'shell' being mentioned is the UA shell, thought it was only referring to the hyperdiction area. Seeing as they're closely related though, it makes sense :).

Nice!

Do you have any unknown fragments in your materials list?

Last edited:
Hello guys.

I was checking the data from the spreadsheet, and found that there are an unusual number of hyperdictions in the system Aries Dark Region XU-O b6-3.

I find this quite unusual, as this system in not colonized, so there is not any apparent reason for a higher alien activity. It may be worth to have a detailed look to it.

On the same note: The farthest hyperdiction occurred has been in Synuefai FZ-S b23-2. It is exactly at the opposite end of the UA shell, at 688.82LY from sol and 374.37LY from Merope. I wonder if this may mean something.

Hello guys.

I was checking the data from the spreadsheet, and found that there are an unusual number of hyperdictions in the system Aries Dark Region XU-O b6-3.

I find this quite unusual, as this system in not colonized, so there is not any apparent reason for a higher alien activity. It may be worth to have a detailed look to it.

On the same note: The farthest hyperdiction occurred has been in Synuefai FZ-S b23-2. It is exactly at the opposite end of the UA shell, at 688.82LY from sol and 374.37LY from Merope. I wonder if this may mean something.

SYnuefai FZ-S b23-2 should be checked over if possible both jumping in and out, siggnal sources and perhaps some planetary surveying

Top Bottom