First ever Hydra solo kill in a Sidewinder

Do watch the video … I narrate and explain many aspects of the fight. I believe you’ll find it interesting!
(i will watch it in full later in the evening - i really appreciate all the insights from the comments)

i was assuming the 2a pd with weapon focus could give it enough juice to power a medium gauss instead of small... probably not.
in which case you could put a flak on it to deal with the swarm and compensate for having a single heatsink

(i will watch it in full later in the evening - i really appreciate all the insights from the comments)

i was assuming the 2a pd with weapon focus could give it enough juice to power a medium gauss instead of small... probably not.
in which case you could put a flak on it to deal with the swarm and compensate for having a single heatsink
Unfortunately with flak you end up with 2s gauss only, which puts you in the "practically impossible" DPS category (unless you use hammergauss with premiums like this fight ... but then it's just an easier version of this fight.)

A 2A CE5/SC PD puts out a max of 3.318 MW of WEP power, to which you'd add 2 MW of an active heatsink, for a total of 5.318 MW of WEP power available to iEagle/Eagle.

1m2s would draw 14.8 MJ per volley, so every 2.05s, or ~7.22 MW.

You're overdrawn almost a full 2MW ... your tiny distro is going to start spiking in seconds.

We have AX ship design down to a science ;).

PS
Also, fun fact, Weapon-Focused power distributor has LOWER WEP regen (though higher buffer) than Charge-Enhanced power distributor. Go figure.

Last edited:
As long as that bug is available to everyone to also attempt this, it doesn’t reduce the legitimacy at all. If anyone thinks this makes it easy and they can do it too using that bug, go ahead and try.
Thats a very "everyone can use drugs why cant they keep the gold medal" style of thinking :)
Are you Russian ?

Thats a very "everyone can use drugs why cant they keep the gold medal" style of thinking :)
Are you Russian ?
It's more like "there's favorable wind so everyone runs a bit faster, we won't record the record but we will still have the race"

There's no "special" thing done here ... it's just equip hammergauss, synth premiums, and off you go

The ammo bug has literally always been in the game and it affects eveyone; it's not a choice, and there's no change or novelty of any kind

It's more like "there's favorable wind so everyone runs a bit faster, we won't record the record but we will still have the race"

There's no "special" thing done here ... it's just equip hammergauss, synth premiums, and off you go

The ammo bug has literally always been in the game and it affects eveyone; it's not a choice, and there's no change or novelty of any kind

I thought the "special" thing is that a bug is making premium ammo 120% instead of the 30% its listed as being in the game.
If I am mistaken and that isn't the case, sorry about that.
:)

I thought the "special" thing is that a bug is making premium ammo 120% instead of the 30% its listed as being in the game.
If I am mistaken and that isn't the case, sorry about that.
:)
Premium ammo gives a +30% bonus, but that bonus is calculated on the pre-engineering weapon stats. It has always been this way, and it is this way for everyone.

As the hammergauss have -75% damage vs their non-engineered variant, they get a pretty massive boost from premium ammo.

Is it a bug? I think so. But is it an exploit? I don't think so ... it doesn't require doing anything abnormal. Also, is this something a single CMDR has as a benefit? No - it's something that affects everyone equally.

Last but not least - does it make the fight easy? Hell no :). But it makes it possible for the very first time.

Premium ammo gives a +30% bonus, but that bonus is calculated on the pre-engineering weapon stats. It has always been this way, and it is this way for everyone.

As the hammergauss have -75% damage vs their non-engineered variant, they get a pretty massive boost from premium ammo.

Is it a bug? I think so. But is it an exploit? I don't think so ... it doesn't require doing anything abnormal. Also, is this something a single CMDR has as a benefit? No - it's something that affects everyone equally.

Last but not least - does it make the fight easy? Hell no :). But it makes it possible for the very first time.
Congrats on the hydra fight.

Are you Russian ?

No I’m not, and in real life obviously that’s not a good idea because there are real life health concerns to encouraging something like that. In a video game though, that would be perfectly fine and balanced, yes. The concerns are not the same at all.

No exploits here ... just the game we all have! (With hammergauss benefiting a lot from the fact that +30% damage is calculated off of the base damage of the weapon, not the engineered damage of the weapon)
If its intended its not an exploit. If that isn't the intention by the devs then its an exploit.
That's the definition of an exploit.
"In video games, an exploit is the use of a bug or glitches, game system, rates, hit boxes, speed or level design etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers"

What you did was cool. Though if its an unintended side effect of a bug, then by definition it is an exploit.

If its intended its not an exploit. If that isn't the intention by the devs then its an exploit.
That's the definition of an exploit.
"In video games, an exploit is the use of a bug or glitches, game system, rates, hit boxes, speed or level design etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers"

What you did was cool. Though if its an unintended side effect of a bug, then by definition it is an exploit.
This one is tricky because who knows what the game designer intended … and whatever they intended, they for sure haven’t touched it since synthesis was introduced in the year many years ago.

If the developer intended for ammo bonuses to stick with the original damage of a weapon, then this is a perfectly legit kill. If they didn’t, then it makes use of a bug.

Fact is, we may never know. Linking damage bonuses to post-engineering weapons damage has other issues (oversized/TC weapons become immensely powerful for instance) so the developer may well have intended it to be this way.

I may well think it’s a bug … but it isn’t one in such an obvious way as say they the PA damage under flow … that was obviously a glitch and an exploit as it trivialized the game.

Here … eh … who knows?

As long as that bug is available to everyone to also attempt this, it doesn’t reduce the legitimacy at all. If anyone thinks this makes it easy and they can do it too using that bug, go ahead and try.
It is ... definitely not easy. It's harder than SideyDusa (with regular gauss) and by quite a bit.

Top Bottom