Newcomer / Intro First exploration trip

Touchdown. Part 1 of my first trip. To say the gal map was borked for the most of my week long trip, I think I faired reasonably well, as in both I and my Dbx arrived back safely at Station X ( right on the edge of the Crab Nebula. ) I sold my data for just over25m credits and made 260 first discoveries. ( I don't just honk and go as I don't have a destination in mind. ) .

Loving every minute , it's so peaceful, i found lots of lovely fully ringed systems , paradise for miners. Earth like worlds, water worlds, Amonia Worlds, Gas Giants . Loads of terraformable . I've probably been kept safe by the bork on the star class filters, most in fact all planets were scoopable bar 2 Tauri class stars.

The Dbx has been a delight, my thanks go to Fdev for that. It's ideal for the novice explorer, yes it could benefit from another class 4 slot, but couldn't they all . It's never hiccuped once, never overheated, zero damage to any of the modules in 12k ly

My two constant companions EDDI and Astra were really worth their weight in gold ( had they actually weighed anything)

My other invaluable aid was the 3rd party Ebb.io , it's currently offline until Monday , dramatic I know but I wanted to acknowledge the creators, we often just take these things for granted until we really need them.

So, my conclusion to this week, what has it done for " my " Ed, simple, it's relaxed me, it's quite satisfying knowing there are over 250 planets out there with my name on them. I don't know how long the process takes, but I've bookmarked every one of my notable discoveries, just for the opportunity of going back . The shackles of grinding is forgotten for now anyway. The constant feeling of expecting an interdiction is easing, but I still automatically check the radar on every jump. I logged into solo on my last jump into the system where Station X is, ( old habits die hard ) .I've been playing in open all week, and never saw another human or npc .

When I get back to Cubeo I've decided to either refit and re engineer my AspE or simply buy another and engineer the hell out of it , this little foray into the unknown has certainly opened up another aspect of the game I didn't realise it's true worth.

Thanks guys fly safe

Last edited:
Once you turn in your Cart data, don't panic. The congrats notice comes in after the sell page, the amounts for each is listed..:cool:

Last edited:
Greetings cmdrs, I thought I would pop back and see how many of you die hards are still in game, and let you know what's been happening in my world since those early days.

In the 4 years since I blogged my first trip, ( wow who would have thought it ) my second trip took me on 47k ly trip down the perseus arm. I then went on a group tour and mapping project of the skaudia Segion. Next I visited Colonia, and loved the region so much I made several trips from the bubble back to colonia with my main fleet. My original fleet now live in that region. I then started a second account, and built it to a similar size in terms of fleets and credits, then came the painite and ltd diamond rush and amassed a fortune, so when they arrived I bought a carrier in the bubble and deposited enough credits in the account to last me another 4 years !!. Those days are long gone. Sad for some, but Im happy it took that credit frenzy out of the game. From memory I hit treble elite towards the end of year 2. Its been about 4-5 months since I logged into horizons now.

Then Odessey dropped, and focus changed once again. On Foot missions. Turns out FPS shooting or combat isn't my thing, that was mainly down to the grind and the glitches, making things extremely difficult to play game loops without either having to constantly relog or reset the instance, but I have enjoyed making a few first foot discoveries, and visually I feel Odessey definitely . We struggled in the region by not having access to engineers, so most upgrades were purchased. I havent checked yet, but engineers for colonia were rumoured to be in this update 7. Whilst I think Fdev have done an incredible job on making Odessey pretty much seamless with Horizons, and graphically are almost there. There are still annoying glitches here and there, but on the face of it, it all runs fine on my potato pc.I really feel Odessey is the future, we just need to give fdev more time to realise the dream.

My thanks and appreciation got to my fellow elite buddies. Cmdrs Snow43 and Cmdr Cinderelli. I mentored them both to elite status and have become life long virtual buddies. I should also mention my original mentor Cmdr Vasco Sapien. He showed me the true way in Elite. It might be old school by todays standards, but it certainly stood me in good stead, and thus also to my mentoree's ,his way has ben passed on, which I view as the ultimate compliment and achievement.

Why did I come back to this thread ? Well Im 65 now, and things are starting to fall apart, Im ok for now, but have developed an essential tremor that is starting to making things difficult to control, and dont know how much longer I will be able to play. There are other things too, but I wont bore you with the details. This update has been long enough now, so stay safe cmdrs, to those who are still around, I hope its been as enjoyable to you as it has been for me....its been epic.

o7 to everyone of you.

How refreshing to have a necro that didn't evoke a desire to post dancing skeletons.

65? I won't see that again (nor will many of us) - good luck with everything. (y)

Top Bottom