First Impression on the new update

So I only played it for it little bit because I had other stuff to do and I got to say I am impressed. I will list down what I thought about it based on what I saw was added.

Hunting: Now before, all of the carnivore will go nuts and kill everything even when its hunger meter is up. Now I have noticed that all carnivores (minus the hybrids) will only hunt if their hunger meter is low. I did a test on almost all of the carnivores ( didn't test the raptors and the dilo's but will test it later) So far I noticed that they will hunt if they are hungry. Though I suspected that they will hunt if their meter is on the red rather than 70 to 60 % of their hunger meter. What I also noticed is that when they are near a group of herbivores, the herbivores will run away but will run towards the carnivore rather than away from it.
Camera: Camera view looks amazing. It is working well for me and allows me to get a good look at the dino's in my paddock. I like the idea of having the monorail and the hotel having viewing cameras as well
Spino roar: The new spino roar sounds amazing. I can hear a hint of the classic roar the spino made from JP3. Though when I heard the end of the roar, it sounded off a bit. [video=youtube;PnF0my-D0gc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnF0my-D0gc[/video] Skip to 7:41
Territorial: The territorial display looks great. But one problem I kinda see is that when I have two large carnivore, they kind of walk either beside each other or they are completely oblivious that their is a carnivore 5 feet away from them. I was expecting this (If a carnivore see's another carnivore, it will make a territorial display such as making a low growl and scuffing their feet like a bull. Then if the other carnivore ignores it, then they walk to each other then proceed with the fight). I like the idea of when their meter is low, they call off the fight then go their separate ways. I have not tested this yet on the herbivores (pachy, trike, anky, stego, etc.)
Size: The size of the three big carnivores looks amazing! the giga is no longer this mini carnivore (even though I did not had any problem with haha) but I still love this massive improvement. Really gives the dino its name. The T-rex looks kind of the same to me haha. The spino looks great and it really shows the size of this creature. Looks great when battling the T-rex. The cerato looks great. I did not had a problem with the size (I would have much perfered the sucho to be sized up the same height and length as the allo in my opinion). Overall, the new size of the carnivores looks amazing!
Few thoughts: So far the update looks pretty good. Didn't try out the challenge mode yet and will probably tonight. The AI of the dino improved a bit, but needs more improving (herding, sleeping, pack hunting, etc.) I hope these will be in the next update so that we can all see some group dynamics and bring some more realism to these creatures. If there is other stuff I missed, let me know and tell me what you think of it. Keep up the update frontier.

Last edited:
You beat me to it :)

My first impressions:

Territorial "fights" among herbivores work just fine and the way I had imagine it for the original release. Very well done. When the social meter is full (but not in the red), my Triceratops will begin to interact with one another in those dominance displays. The loser panics and runs away. This establishes another layer of (inter)action in the paddocks and adds some life to the game. The frequency appears to be okay at the first glance. The "fights" happen often enough to notice them, but are still rare enough when compared to the old "fight-to-the-death"-system from before the update. I've tested the same with my population of Ceratosaurus and come to the same positive conclusion.

My first impression of the Challenge mode is very positive. I initially started on "hard" and have the feeling, that this is the difficulty the game should have had on release in June. Especially in the beginning I now have to think about where to invest my money. While I would have wished for a less "gamey" and more immersive money sink, the Hammond Foundation fulfills it's role just fine. I'm not swimming in money after mere minutes, but have to constantly keep an eye out for the money. Rare materials provided by dig sites are now very important to keep your park up and running.

I also like that in challenge mode you have to begin from scratch with not a single Dino researched. Therefor you have to consider carefully from the beginning which Dinos are affordable and/or bring the best revenue. In my personal opinion it's still a bit too easy to rush for a 100% genome, but that's just my personal taste.

I did have a few crashes in my first three hours of gameplay, though. But that's to be expected on patch day. Due to autosave, I'm not losing much progress. I'm not sure if it's a bug or a feature, but the 1993 JP Jeep is locked, although it is actually a simple cosmetic that is unlocked via a steam achievement and not via technology/missions. So far I haven't tried to unlock the jeep again and/or if you need to fulfill the achievement requirements for the jeep each time you start a new park in challenge mode
It is a bit unfortunate that the challenge mode comes with the old Nublar map again, but let's be honest here: A new map would indeed have been too much to ask for a simple update.

So much for my first impressions. It's a solid update and adds some of the required meat to the bones of JWE. It's a good first step in the right direction. Very well done.

Challenge Mode: awesome

Size changes: beautiful, everything is as it should be

Theropod AI: well, they're not nonstop killing everything anymore, but they're still killing when they're not hungry and they ignore feeders and goats, making creating mixed enclosures still impossible

I can't complain too much its a step towards the positive in several ways, but I don't like the carnivore killing, they changed things ever so slightly.

Food meter is still 3/4 full before they go into "kill the nearest thing" mode. Even though I was hoping this would be geared more towards happening when hunger is very high (red food bar), they will still kill before even needing to eat yet. I was thinking it would not be as large a change as I would have wanted, but more than this.

i never had a problem with carnivores going on a killing spree cause i never place them together with herbivores.... do you see lions and giraffes in the same enclosure at the zoo? carnivores are not suppose to be in the same place with herbivores that's a no brainer

anyway .. this update is great..the requirements info in the creation lab is a life saver... the new sizes are great Spinosaurus is now massive just like in the movie

everything is great except for the issue with the rangers and helicopter not responding to commands

My First impresstions,

I jumped right into Challenge Mode Jurassic, was having some fun till I ran into a bug that clearly would prevent me from playing it till its fixed. The bug was the jeep not working, didnt have enough for the Helicopter but im sure I have that bug too. After realizing I couldnt continue forward with Challenge Mode I jumped back into one of my "Dinosaur reserves" That before the update was filled with only herbivores, I instantly made a carnivore and released it, switching on the unlimited Energy and auto fill for the Herbivore feeders. I am having some fun. All things considered its an ok update.

I hope to see further updates that fix the Dinosaur AI primarily.

I personally don't think this update adds enough content to get me through the crippling monotony. Therefore I will not be playing it.

Spinosaurus is still too small.... What part of "Largest Theropod" don't they understand.

Indominus is also too small. :(

And the new Spino roar isn't quite what I had hoped...

I want to believe...

[video=youtube;GB3DPX85Kg4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB3DPX85Kg4[/video]

Last edited:
Spino and Rexy are now the best of friends in their shared enclosure and refuse to fight.

"Imagine me and you, I do
I think about you day and night, it's only right
To think about the girl you love and hold her tight
So happy together
If I should call you up, invest a dime
And you say you belong to me and ease my mind
Imagine how the world could be, so very fine
So happy together
I can't see me lovin' nobody but you
For all my life
When you're with me, baby the skies'll be blue
For all my life"

Spinosaurus is still too small.... What part of "Largest Theropod" don't they understand.

Indominus is also too small. :(

And the new Spino roar isn't quite what I had hoped...

I want to believe...

The current size does not bother me much now. They seem fine to me. The spino is a bit bigger and the giga is big to. Honestly, all they have to do is decrease rex size by one or half a meter. As for the roar, I think it sounds good for the most part until the end. Sounded kinda off and would have prefer for frontier not to mix the roar up with other sounds and just stick with the spino's classic roar just like what they did with the rex and raptor.

Spinosaurus is still too small.... What part of "Largest Theropod" don't they understand.[/I]

*Longest* Theropod. Not largest.

The new Spinosaurus is near 50ft long, which is around the same length that it was in real life and actually considerably bigger than the JP3 version of Spino which was described at around 44ft long in the promotional materials. By this point, it does not need to be bigger, as it's already bigger than it was canonically. I get the impression that some Spino fans has just have this inherent need to make the Spinosaurus dwarf the T-rex.

Just as a curiosity, what do you think will make this game better?

I think it would be great if the update had not completely broken the game for many of us.
Being able to play teh game would certainly make it better.

A number of people are unable to do anything because Rangers and ACU do't work any more, not to mention all the shiny new things.
And since Steam will not let us roll back - yeah there are some out here who are not impressed with this wonderful update at all.

I think it would be great if the update had not completely broken the game for many of us.
Being able to play teh game would certainly make it better.

A number of people are unable to do anything because Rangers and ACU do't work any more, not to mention all the shiny new things.
And since Steam will not let us roll back - yeah there are some out here who are not impressed with this wonderful update at all.

That's strange. Everything is working fine for me ( Of course I'm going to jinx myself haha)

Really really like that update. The contracts make a little more sense, dinos live longer for sure, and the new ciews are absolutely perfect!! Very happy.
The overcrowding fights are awesome and what I expected from release. I made 6 Pachycephalos to see what would happen, they formed 3 teams of 2, started fighting until 3 fell and died at the same time! I thought it was a bit radical but my Styracos ran when at low health.
I tried a Dilo in my herbivore enclosure and she started picking at my Struthios, killing one every 4 or 5 minutes.
The Camaras and Brachios behave much better and can be seen out in the open without transforming into panicking wrecks. And I can finally hear my Camaras!!!
Thank you.

Are not you finding it much harder for battles to happen?

I dropped a Ceratosaurus in my Tyrannosaurus' paddock and ... the two live together. I find it kind of weird, why the hell do not they dispute the territory?

Take a good look. I'm expecting a fight between them and it does not happen.

I dropped a Pentaceratops with Tyrannosaurus and he did not attack either. Is it going to be this way now? I do not have the joy of seeing fights happen anymore because carnivores no longer feel hungry ??

I think this hunger issue has yet to be settled. It is not very correct.

Are not you finding it much harder for battles to happen?

I dropped a Ceratosaurus in my Tyrannosaurus' paddock and ... the two live together. I find it kind of weird, why the hell do not they dispute the territory?

Take a good look. I'm expecting a fight between them and it does not happen.

I dropped a Pentaceratops with Tyrannosaurus and he did not attack either. Is it going to be this way now? I do not have the joy of seeing fights happen anymore because carnivores no longer feel hungry ??

I think this hunger issue has yet to be settled. It is not very correct.

Now I see it and that is one of the things I did not like in this update. After the carnivore does their battle sequence, they end up calling off the battle and live together. I had a carno, allo, t-rex, and spino all living in perfect harmony. I don't like that. Carnivores are aggressive and do not like being together with other carnivores. They attack each other if they see each other. That is not the case here. Carnivores see each other, but they really don't do threat displays to intimidate the opponent. They look at each and say "hi, how are you?"
As for the herbivores, I have not ran into this issue when they battle a carnivore. But based on what I see, that should be changed to. Armored herbivores should make threat displays or intimidation against the carnivore. Then if the carnivore ignores, then they fight to the death. This should happen either if the carnivores hunger level is at a critical low or if the either of them crosses territories. Might I also suggest in the next update if a ceratopsian group encounters a group or lone carnivore, then they form a wall shield, roar at the carnivore while shaking their head to intimidate, and they keep doing it until the carnivore backs down.
This update is in a step in a right direction, but more improvement are still needed to make this game even better

Top Bottom