Newcomer / Intro First Meeting with a Griefer

Think I met my first Griefer/Ganker... pulled out of supercruise and shot to pieces by a player called <NO NAMING AND SHAMING>. No scan, no message, just shot to bits in a system called Minmar. About 200 Lyr into a 240 Lyr round trip to find Emergency Power Cells.

Can you track specific players in this game?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you fly open? There is no incentive, no advantage to fly open. If you meet other CMDRs, either they ignore you doing their own thing, or they attack you.

If you play alone, play Solo. If you want to play with a friend, play in a private group. There is no reason to play Open at all. But a lot of reasons not to play Open...
I even considered joining a PvE group like Mobius. But why? No advantage, no friendly chat, no helping each other, and no other CMDRs most of the time. This is not a typical MMO, it is best played Solo, or in a small group with friends.

Why do you fly open? There is no incentive, no advantage to fly open. If you meet other CMDRs, either they ignore you doing their own thing, or they attack you.

If you play alone, play Solo. If you want to play with a friend, play in a private group. There is no reason to play Open at all. But a lot of reasons not to play Open...
I even considered joining a PvE group like Mobius. But why? No advantage, no friendly chat, no helping each other, and no other CMDRs most of the time. This is not a typical MMO, it is best played Solo, or in a small group with friends.

Well I certainly have no game friends... So I do play alone. I actually thought open play was the point of the game.

Well I certainly have no game friends... So I do play alone. I actually thought open play was the point of the game.

It could be, if done correctly. As it is, gankers have to fear no consequences. If you doubt this, there are a lot of threads here discussing the crime and punishment system. And how many CMDRs did you meet in an enjoyable way in your travels? Did they help, or at least answer or talk to you? Also there is a thread here about Solo or Open mode:
Flying open or Solo?

Reading over the replies in this thread shows, that much more CMDRs seem to fly Solo, or they use a PvE group like Mobius.

According to FD, Open is by far the dominant mode. There are however those who have... strong feelings about it and go around encouraging people not to play in Open.

Think I met my first Griefer/Ganker... pulled out of supercruise and shot to pieces by a player called <NO NAMING AND SHAMING>. No scan, no message, just shot to bits in a system called Minmar. About 200 Lyr into a 240 Lyr round trip to find Emergency Power Cells.

Can you track specific players in this game?

Not unless they are on your friend list. Griefers provide a learning curve as they tend to be more skilled and cunning than your average NPC. Fortunately, the game is heavily balanced against griefing, so after a while you'll learn the skills and you'll be safe no matter what you fly as long as you pay attention. To start with: hollow icons on the radar are human cmdrs, and you can only interdict someone from behind. So when you see hollow icons, scan them and see what ship they are flying. If they are flying combat ships be on your guard. If they are wanted be very much on your guard. If they are scanning you and/or flying towards you: they are griefers. If you aren't outfitted and engineered for PvP combat, simply hi-wake. Select a system, start your FSD while keeping your ship pointed at the griefer. Do not turn towards the target star until your FSD is fully charged for the jump and wait with turning until you can make the turn without him being behind you while turning!

Initially griefers are a pita. After a while they become a fun diversion. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
According to FD, Open is by far the dominant mode. There are however those who have... strong feelings about it and go around encouraging people not to play in Open.
I must admit, that I have a quite negative view of this. But I read these forums since I purchased the game, and I read much more than I post myself. And reading over the lengthy discussions about PvP/Ganking/Griefing and reading what some people think about this did influence my decision never to play Open. I see no advantage at all.

Also - even if FD states that most player play open - I do not believe it. They do a lot to bring people to play in Open. Would they do this, if so many CMDRs played open?

But this is all IMHO. YMMV.

Open is ok just getting killed is sometimes just part of the game i- try joining a group if want some people to fly with, best part of this game is interaction with other players.

Not unless they are on your friend list. Griefers provide a learning curve as they tend to be more skilled and cunning than your average NPC. Fortunately, the game is heavily balanced against griefing, so after a while you'll learn the skills and you'll be safe no matter what you fly as long as you pay attention. To start with: hollow icons on the radar are human cmdrs, and you can only interdict someone from behind. So when you see hollow icons, scan them and see what ship they are flying. If they are flying combat ships be on your guard. If they are wanted be very much on your guard. If they are scanning you and/or flying towards you: they are griefers. If you aren't outfitted and engineered for PvP combat, simply hi-wake. Select a system, start your FSD while keeping your ship pointed at the griefer. Do not turn towards the target star until your FSD is fully charged for the jump and wait with turning until you can make the turn without him being behind you while turning!

Initially griefers are a pita. After a while they become a fun diversion. :)

I was wondering if you could track them as I have been playing for about 2 weeks and was working on the principal of getting skilled up and tooled up over time then hunting this player down and returning the compliment... Terrorise the Terrorist as it were ;)

It is a learning curve and replacing my meager ship was a princely 72k cr so it didn't break the bank. I guess over time I will find some people to play with in open until then I shall sneak my way around the Galaxy. I did find my first White Dwarf on that road trip as well, so it wasn't all bad

I must admit, that I have a quite negative view of this. But I read these forums since I purchased the game, and I read much more than I post myself. And reading over the lengthy discussions about PvP/Ganking/Griefing and reading what some people think about this did influence my decision never to play Open. I see no advantage at all.

Also - even if FD states that most player play open - I do not believe it. They do a lot to bring people to play in Open. Would they do this, if so many CMDRs played open?

But this is all IMHO. YMMV.

Feel welcome to play any mode you prefer, that is what they are for. :) Reading the forums tells you little though. I have about 4000 hours in Open, mostly in small ships, and haven't been griefed in years despite going to all the hotspots. There are elements in the community who want to paint Open as an anarchistic wastelands of mass murderers but that really ain't true. The forums are vastly more dramatic than Open itself.

As for calling FD liars because you don't agree with the factual statistics they present: you may want to reconsider that. Fwiw: the FD forums are disproportionally favouring relatively older players, who tend to have different experiences and expectations of multiplayer gaming. The average gamer very much is in Open, and isn't that fazed by griefers.

Again, any mode is fine and play what you prefer. But let's not have our opinion cloud the facts. :)

Open is ok just getting killed is sometimes just part of the game i- try joining a group if want some people to fly with, best part of this game is interaction with other players.

I guess I'll have to google groups and see how joining them works. I've just found these Ed Databases EDDB and INARA so consuming the info will keep me busy for a while!

I was wondering if you could track them as I have been playing for about 2 weeks and was working on the principal of getting skilled up and tooled up over time then hunting this player down and returning the compliment... Terrorise the Terrorist as it were ;)
You can track them by sending them a friend request and hoping they accept. (Often a griefer will send you a friend request anyway, as they like a source of repeat kills)

Hence why I play Solo...

I have noticed something as of the last few days though...When I log into the game I get the Continue button, and after that it should give you the screen to pick the game type (open, group, solo, etc). A couple of times I have clicked on the Continue button and the game started loading. Not paying attention the first time, I launch my ship, and as I am going out the mail slot, I almost get run over by an incoming ship. Thinking this odd (As the NPC's usually queue up to enter/exit), I checked and on the radar saw several Hollow Squares. I immediately go out of the port, request landing, and go back in and land. For some reason, the game had started me in Open. It has done it twice now (once last night) and now I am being extra cautious of how I click the Continue Button. I have noticed if I click it in the upper right corner or right side, it then goes to the Game type options, but if I click on the left side, it automatically selects Open and loads.

Playing on PC, so maybe it is just me...just seems odd.

Take Care and Check Six Commanders! o7

Hence why I play Solo...

I have noticed something as of the last few days though...When I log into the game I get the Continue button, and after that it should give you the screen to pick the game type (open, group, solo, etc). A couple of times I have clicked on the Continue button and the game started loading. Not paying attention the first time, I launch my ship, and as I am going out the mail slot, I almost get run over by an incoming ship. Thinking this odd (As the NPC's usually queue up to enter/exit), I checked and on the radar saw several Hollow Squares. I immediately go out of the port, request landing, and go back in and land. For some reason, the game had started me in Open. It has done it twice now (once last night) and now I am being extra cautious of how I click the Continue Button. I have noticed if I click it in the upper right corner or right side, it then goes to the Game type options, but if I click on the left side, it automatically selects Open and loads.

I did read reports like this since the April Update. Yet I have never experienced this myself. Some people said, that if you click too fast (or to slow/long) on the button, it happens. Never happened to me, but I am careful and if I get no select mode screen, I would double check.

Is it chance, a small UI bug - or intentional? Also new players (and experienced players who reset their accounts) reported it and for a while it was thought that you must play open in the newbie region - but this seems to be wrong. Is this 'nudging to open' or just an UI bug?

;)

Not EVERYONE who interdicts intends to kill.

Pirates will interdict in order to pirate....which usually involves some role-play and more often than not results in zero kill...IF the CMDR complies.

So, if you do get interdicted, check your comms panel for messages from the CMDR interdicting you.
Submit to the interdiction (as your cool down is much shorter), target a system in order to Hi-Wake.
If no messages appear in the Comms panel, or if the other CMDR starts shooting, Hi-Wake to your targetted system ASAP.

Most pirates usually only ask for a small-modest amount of cargo then let you go.
Most will also not repeat interdict you during their play session (or give you a 12 hour “pass”).
So, if you are grind-trading between a couple of stations, and if you want to play open, then submitting and paying a couple of tons adds to the immersion and can be more fun....after all it is “Elite: Dangerous” and not “Elite: Day Care”

Clicker

p.s. most Pirate groups love nothing better than ganking the gankers.

Hence why I play Solo...

Some have had this happen since beta in 2013. If you have this happen, use the keyboard rather than mouse in the main menu; you're experiencing a retrigger. I think it is enter to select, and arrows to move.

I've met some amazing people and have had some pretty fun, spontaneous encounters in open too. Just because the game isn't bribing you with credit bonuses or the like doesn't mean that there's "no advantage" to open.

Trust me: after the three-hundredth hour or so in this game, flying with people you know well is what makes Elite worth playing.

Last edited:
I've met some amazing people and have had some pretty fun, spontaneous encounters in open too. Just because the game isn't bribing you with credit bonuses or the like doesn't mean that there's "no advantage" to open.

Trust me: after the three-hundredth hour or so in this game, flying with people you know well is what makes Elite worth playing.

Did I ever mention credits as rewards for playing open? I don't think so. When I say, that there are no advantages in playing open, I mean fun. This is the point of playing, isn't it?

And to have to regard every other player I meet somewhere as an potential enemy, without any reason, who could attack me, without any reason, destroy my progress, without any reason to do so - is just not my idea of fun. Sure, there are players who will never do this, who will want to do their own thing or will have a friendly chat. Maybe this is even the majority. But this does not help, if I have to regard everyone as an enemy. The gankers behave like dumb monsters in a game, only you cannot differentiate them from the rest until it is too late. Trust in fellow players is completely destroyed by this, even if you have a friendly chat, and answer friend requests it could be a ganker, who after winning your trust destroys you, and this has happened too. Why would I have fun meeting other players, if literally every one - even a 'friend' - could attack me without reason or warning? NPCs may be aggressive and outright nasty, but you know why, there are reasons they attack you.

Combine this with engineering, so either you crossed the huge grind walls to engineer your ships totally and completely, or you cannot compete. And even if I manage to flee every time this is no fun for me. It is not an accomplishment to fight off a silly, damaging and badly implemented game mechanic. Better to avoid it completely. It is just not entertaining. Ganker ships are engineered in a way they are unbeatable even by a good ship, not an explorer 'paper flyer'. They will destroy a good A rated ship in seconds, there are a lot of YT videos and reports here. So either you fly around with a pure combat ship engineered to the gills, or you are meat. And permanently fleeing from idiots is not my idea of gaming fun.

And this is what I meant with advantages. Credits are thrown at you in astonishing rates by the game. So much credits, that they are unusable to 'regulate' things like engineering, so that they were forced to implement a secondary 'currency', namely the materials. But even if it were much easier and faster to find materials this would not be enough to bring me to open.

But as I said - this is IMHO. YMMV...

Last edited:
Your point that you cannot differentiate gankers until it is too late is factually wrong, as people who actually do play in Open can tell you. I suggest we give newcomers here concrete advice about gameplay we have sufficient experience with. We have a massive topic elsewhere for those who want to defend/attack this or that mode for some reason. I would also like you to not call other people here 'dumb animals'. You don't find it fun to overcome a certain challenge? Fine, that is why we have modes. But there is no reason to be offensive towards people and misrepresent how the game works just to 'strengthen' your argument.

Just say you don't like it if you really insist on sharing that info.Some people dont't like Open. That is fine. Others do. Also fine. Can we move on?

Last edited:

It is a learning curve and replacing my meager ship was a princely 72k cr so it didn't break the bank. I guess over time I will find some people to play with in open until then I shall sneak my way around the Galaxy. I did find my first White Dwarf on that road trip as well, so it wasn't all bad

Ha, true. If you keep your insurance, you'll always be fine anyway. There is a subforum with player groups, and you can also check the 'squadrons' tab in the right hand panel for additional info. Have fun! :)

Top Bottom