First things first

With Elite: Dangerous having so many different gameplay aspects available to Commanders, what is everyone going to be doing in their first few hours, days, weeks?

I am going to start down the Sidewinder --> Anaconda upgrade path
www.reddit.com/r/EliteTraders/comments/5e0v3n/masarks_guide_to_trade_sidewinder_to_anaconda_v20/
(but will probably get side tracked at some point so who knows...)

Also, once my ship is good enough, I will look to join the Fuel Rats as I think their goals and aspirations are admirable.
https://www.fuelrats.com

First thing I'll be doing is trading and bounty hunting to get me out of the Startwinder and into an Adder as quickly as possible, then I might start with the trade loop. I want something with a good jump range if I'm going to do a rare run.

Before I do the rare loop, I'm going to do the scan loop and go hunting for Earth like worlds, which should help build up my explorer rank and earn me some dosh.

Not sure if an Anaconda is my ultimate goal, as the Python seems to do it all for me.

I rarely play multiplayer games these days so I might stay on solo for a while until I get a handle on the game. However, I might also see if I can get into some early pvp fights (either by being a pirate , or trying to attracting pirates), while still piloting the sidewinder, which is cheap to replace even with upgraded systems. I reckon lots of folk will want to start upgrading ships as soon as they can, but I don't like the idea of doing that myself and then quickly losing something new and expensive to some pvp'er who has more experience against human pilots. In any game where its relevant, I like to have a decent supply of resources and/or cash so that a crushing defeat, even at the hands of npc's, doesn't set me back to zero.

It might even be best to start in open, since everyone is starting from scratch and you won't be seeing griefers in top tier ships for a while.

Last edited:
Planning on learning the ropes for a few hours, last elite game I played was on the amiga 500 plus lol. Thinking of initially doing bounty hunting & passenger runs to get a cobra mk3 & kit it up. Then may focus on a more combat oriented play through. Not sure what the biggest & combat oriented ship is but will aim to get that :)

Planning on learning the ropes for a few hours, last elite game I played was on the amiga 500 plus lol. Thinking of initially doing bounty hunting & passenger runs to get a cobra mk3 & kit it up. Then may focus on a more combat oriented play through. Not sure what the biggest & combat oriented ship is but will aim to get that :)

I still own an Amiga and FE:2 :)

lots of of options for combat ships, you could go for the Viper Mk3, that's do-able, after a four or five hours of hours of play

Bounty hunting at High Res and Nav beacons will help build cash too

Going to enjoy my goldwinder and find a home base in open. Do a wide mix of missions, rank up do the slow progression. Take breaks for exploration when I get a good multi-purpose ship and shoot off to find the hot spots that progress the story line when they are found (alien hyperdictions, community events). Try to get the best all around experience.

Viper mkIII does look like a nice inexpensive ship with decent range (whoops, maybe not. Was looking at the upgraded jump range. Base jump range looks to not even be 8ly) and good speed. I usually couldnt care less about cosmetic dlc/micro transactions, but I can see myself throwing spare change at ship kits.

Last edited:
first thing i will be doing is getting a nice cuppa tea and waking up, then after that probably work towards a nice DBX then go system hoping for a while. but i will keep my goldwinder and maybe a hauler in the bubble for CG's or the odd bit of bounty hunting, the sit back and explore the galaxy

My initial plan is to get enough credits to upgrade the goldwinder so I can fly over to Imperial space. After that it's all about Rank Hath Its Privileges ;-)

My initial plan is to get enough credits to upgrade the goldwinder so I can fly over to Imperial space. After that it's all about Rank Hath Its Privileges ;-)

As a dirty Federal player, I can tell you that the Rank locked ships the Imps have are better until you hit the Corvette. The Cutter is a Heavy Trader (mostly. You can fight with it but it's going to be a tad hard with the low agility) and the Corvette is combat.

Planning on learning the ropes for a few hours, last elite game I played was on the amiga 500 plus lol.

Yeah I'm the same. a few missions here and there then bounty hunt NPCS to build a decent sum for a good ship, then it will be explore,explore,explore. my "end game" will probably be the belugia for tourism and passenger transport

CLASSIFIED

Ditto! That and I'm really not sure. I have my eye on certain ships and professions, but I also want to go where the currents take me, and that may be in a total different direction than what I imagine today. Kinda like IRL.

But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane,
In proving foresight may be vain;
The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley

Last edited:
I'm sorry OP but I'm failing to see the logic here. There is a huge universe out there with lots of amazing details to discover and you want to put your nose in a slot and grind like madman to get a specific ship?

All the ships have pros an cons. I think its fun just to get one and try it out. Not very cost efficient, but I find it fun. I bet you can find lots of stuff that's also fun to do ;)
Not that trading isn't fun, but it is possible to mix it up.

Have fun

My plan:

Reduce uncertainties - swap to Solo Mode so I don't have obstructions to The Plan. Spent most of my 1200 hours on PC in Open, the exception being exploration (solo is faster loading times etc), so i'm going to ignore any calls of being a carebear thanks.
Sidewinder phase - Bounty Hunting at RES, gradually improving it from kill-stealing to able to make kills unaided.
Cobra MK3 phase - once enough cash, move to a Cobra for BHing.
A-rate Cobra - improve until A-rated.
Rat ready - swap to Open and start ratting (will be buying a limpet controller early, and keeping an eye on RatChat, but now fully open for business).
Dolphin phase - transition from BHing / missions to trade / passengers. Dolphin allows better jump range and more internals.
Engineering phase - engineer core modules (these can be swapped between Cobras and Dolphin, except Thrusters, for versatile ship use via module transferring).
Cobra MK4 phase - assuming PS4 gets it, move from Dolphin to engineered MK4 for even more versatility.
second rat - earn credits for a dedicated DBX rat ship, engineering only the FSD probably. Use main ship for short calls, swap to DBX in LRRs or peak times if there's a need.
Python phase - step up to the big grind, and get the Python. I don't love the ship, but it's very useful.
Anaconda phase - I do not like flying the conda, but it's a great base for SLFs. Getting one for multicrew and PvE combat is fun.
Start playing phase - items checked off, one can now start just playing and enjoying ;)

I'll have to see how far I get through all that. The minimum is a rat-Cobra MK3, which should be achievable in a day, as I can do everything else on PC. If we get no PSVR support I may main on PC, and just rat when a call goes out.

Last edited:
As a dirty Federal player, I can tell you that the Rank locked ships the Imps have are better until you hit the Corvette. The Cutter is a Heavy Trader (mostly. You can fight with it but it's going to be a tad hard with the low agility) and the Corvette is combat.

*grins* this is true, but as, of my two current PC commanders, one is staunchly Alliance and the other is a Fed-leaning independent Trucker (of the Hutton Orbital variety), I thought having an Imperial commander would make for some fun RP. (she can be of a princess, so she might as well try to be a proper one) ;-)

My plan:

Reduce uncertainties - swap to Solo Mode so I don't have obstructions to The Plan. Spent most of my 1200 hours on PC in Open, the exception being exploration (solo is faster loading times etc), so i'm going to ignore any calls of being a carebear thanks.
Sidewinder phase - Bounty Hunting at RES, gradually improving it from kill-stealing to able to make kills unaided.
Cobra MK3 phase - once enough cash, move to a Cobra for BHing.
A-rate Cobra - improve until A-rated.
Rat ready - swap to Open and start ratting (will be buying a limpet controller early, and keeping an eye on RatChat, but now fully open for business).
Dolphin phase - transition from BHing / missions to trade / passengers. Dolphin allows better jump range and more internals.
Engineering phase - engineer core modules (these can be swapped between Cobras and Dolphin, except Thrusters, for versatile ship use via module transferring).
Cobra MK4 phase - assuming PS4 gets it, move from Dolphin to engineered MK4 for even more versatility.
second rat - earn credits for a dedicated DBX rat ship, engineering only the FSD probably. Use main ship for short calls, swap to DBX in LRRs or peak times if there's a need.
Python phase - step up to the big grind, and get the Python. I don't love the ship, but it's very useful.
Anaconda phase - I do not like flying the conda, but it's a great base for SLFs. Getting one for multicrew and PvE combat is fun.
Start playing phase - items checked off, one can now start just playing and enjoying ;)

I'll have to see how far I get through all that. The minimum is a rat-Cobra MK3, which should be achievable in a day, as I can do everything else on PC. If we get no PSVR support I may main on PC, and just rat when a call goes out.

Slow down and save some things to do the second week after release.

Until I get into the Sidewinder and leave the first station, I've no idea. Why plan out your life? There's no excitement there. I'll just head 'thataway'.

Top Bottom