First time playing on PC and VR - Intel or AMD??

So, the million dollar question, do you lke the Rift S, and how's your 2080TI coping with everything on ultra/Max ?

EDIT;
I also find that setting throttle by numbers i.e. % increments is easier than by linear feel, makes attaing Super Cruise .06 ETA to any station/target easy without throttle hunting to find the exact sweet spot, no overshooting. press square button once for 50% throttle then plus two R1 button clicks to advance throttle +20% and bingo perfect .06 Super Cruise approach speed every time. I've set three buttons for throttle, triangle - 100%; square - 50%; O - 0%; X-Boost. L1 & R1 throttle control. For combat max manouvering is easy to find, press square button, instant 50%

Last edited:
So, the million dollar question, do you lke the Rift S, and how's your 2080TI coping with everything on ultra/Max ?
For Elite I don't like the Rift S. I'm coming from PSVR, which uses OLED screens. So while the Rift S has a higher resolution, which is indeed really nice, the PSVR has much better black levels and contrast. I also find the PSVR headset more comfortable/ergonomic, and has a wider FOV. The Rift S does have a lot going for it though - the built in sound is nowhere near as bad as some have made out, and the controllers and tracking are fantastic. But for Elite, I want a better HMD.

That said, it's still super immersive and a great experience. :)

As for my 2080ti coping. Nope. With everything on Ultra, landing on a planet was kinda choppy, and driving the SRV was SUPER choppy. But that was whacking everything up. There's loads of stuff I can turn off (DOF for instance) or lower and still have a great experience.

As for my 2080ti coping. Nope. With everything on Ultra, landing on a planet was kinda choppy, and driving the SRV was SUPER choppy. But that was whacking everything up. There's loads of stuff I can turn off (DOF for instance) or lower and still have a great experience.
Remarkable, in the sense that a top tier graphics card doesn't deliver, oh well guess I wait for next year to upgrade. Thanks for your feedback.

Not really, the main problem is not so much lacking in hardware, the problem is it's not being utilised by the software and although Elite VR actually comes off fairly good in this regard compared to other titles, where it really doesn't matter what you got breaking out of spacewarp is not really possible.

As for settings the VR settings in Elite are horrible, do not use them, there really is no major difference in PQ from low to ultra, outside of increased ambient occlusion, supersampling, MSAA, HMD-Q. Which is practically the same as supersampling, only done directly for the VR API, where are supersampling as game engine setting.
The latter is no surprise the better implemented option.
Guess which the VR presets use ?

Ambient Occlusion in elite is a total frame rate killer in VR, same with MSAA.
And if you go nuts with the supersampling then of course nothing will go right.

I also recommend being very carefull with HMD-q or supersampling to begin with, if you have a GPU considered better than a 1070 Oculus applies a default super sample of 1.2, so any SS you apply after that is compounded, and setting it several places is like ((x*y)*z) if you use both supersampling and HMD-q in Elite and an S.
That's (((x*1.2)*hmd-q)*SS), that becomes a lot of pixels really fast, MSAA is also antialiasing through supersampling, but not entirely but yea this is a performance killer for most games in VR.

Here's my current settings for a 1080ti and I'm getting 80hz even in some surface bases in the SRV, and when I do dip it's barely noticeable at all.
ii3p0Gt.png
Seems it hooked my small 2d window profile instead of actuall current settings, fixed it.

Last edited:
Ah! It could well be that which is affecting my framerate then, the compounding of the SS settings. I'll have a tweak tonight provided I get home from work early enough. :)

edit: Just curious - if Ambient Occlusion is a framerate killer, why have it on high in your settings?

Last edited:
You have terrain work all the way to the right? Doesn't that load it all to the GPU? I thought the I'd read it was better to load that to the CPU....

From what I heard ever since the Maxwell 900 range that uses a part of the GPU that would otherwise lay unused for rendering.
Like the RTX cores for the 20 series, just less marketed cause it's less shiny.

I might be wrong though, I don't really notice any which way, guess you can experiment with what you bottle neck on.

Ditto except for; bloom off, shadow low, ambient Occ low, jet cones low, Terrain work slider max left.

SS1, HMD 2

Works for me very well.

Right, I'm about to head in and test some stuff. On another note, I have just requested an account asset transfer from my PS4 account to PC. I won't want for credits, so no grinding there, just the grind for rep and engineers.

I saw your post earlier Nighteyes and you should be getting, for example, solid 90fps in your SRV. I was waiting to reply till I could show my settings but TorTorden's already done that :)

2 other things, for VR and the SRV make sure you've camera fixed to horizon, and if SteamVR is in use don't use the beta version, it's killing performance at the moment.

2 other things, for the VR and the SRV make sure you've camera fixed to horizon, and if SteamVR is in use don't use the beta version, it's killing performance at the moment.
Good to know about the SteamVR beta. I'll disable that. As for Maintaining the horizon ... I may look at it, but I'm veteran of Wipeout on PSVR with all the comfort options off. I've already had a go in the SRV in VR and gone for a tumble; I was fine. But I'll keep an eye on it.

Good to know about the SteamVR beta. I'll disable that. As for Maintaining the horizon ... I may look at it, but I'm veteran of Wipeout on PSVR with all the comfort options off. I've already had a go in the SRV in VR and gone for a tumble; I was fine. But I'll keep an eye on it.
It's not the tumbling but when I'm re driving on the flat I find the shaking just from travelling over the surface nausiating, sounds like you're a hardier soul than me and you'll be good :)

It's not the tumbling but when I'm re driving on the flat I find the shaking just from travelling over the surface nausiating, sounds like you're a hardier soul than me and you'll be good :)
I find those VR issues fascinating. I never felt nausea, no matter how hard I tried to provoke it in the SRV, and I didn't turn on any of the little helpers, such as maintaining the horizon.

I had different issues though, at least in the first 3-4 days; I got extremely tired, I was sweating a lot while playing, and I couldn't take sessions for more than 30 minutes. IPD was ok, and nothing was off, but still.

The most scary thing however was that I had serious trouble focussing on objects in the real 3D world after the first day of playing Elite in VR. It was like a serious case of double vision, and it was hard and strenuous to get rid of, especially for objects a bit farther away. After those 3-4 days however, the issues simply vanished. I can now play for 3-4 hours without any trouble, and my real-world vision is ok.

Still some food for thought I guess.

Seems the nausea problem doesn't disappear as easily?

Nausea can be a serious problem if you don't address it the moment you feel it when playing VR for the first time. If you try to "power through" it, you'll mess your brain up into thinking what you're doing is bad for you, and then will always feel nausea. You do need to ease yourself in.

I can now go jumping up mountains in skyrim like a mad orc on a pogo stick - no issues. :)

I find those VR issues fascinating. I never felt nausea, no matter how hard I tried to provoke it in the SRV, and I didn't turn on any of the little helpers, such as maintaining the horizon.

I had different issues though, at least in the first 3-4 days; I got extremely tired, I was sweating a lot while playing, and I couldn't take sessions for more than 30 minutes. IPD was ok, and nothing was off, but still.

The most scary thing however was that I had serious trouble focussing on objects in the real 3D world after the first day of playing Elite in VR. It was like a serious case of double vision, and it was hard and strenuous to get rid of, especially for objects a bit farther away. After those 3-4 days however, the issues simply vanished. I can now play for 3-4 hours without any trouble, and my real-world vision is ok.

Still some food for thought I guess.

Seems the nausea problem doesn't disappear as easily?
I get focussing problems sometimes, maybe because I've not got the fit quite right for a session/ Never really been to pin down when or why though.

Nausea can be a serious problem if you don't address it the moment you feel it when playing VR for the first time. If you try to "power through" it, you'll mess your brain up into thinking what you're doing is bad for you, and then will always feel nausea. You do need to ease yourself in.

I can now go jumping up mountains in skyrim like a mad orc on a pogo stick - no issues. :)
Cheers Nighteyes. I would deal with it properly but the shaking almost looks like stuttering to me, I actually prefer having the horizon camera on and I've done so much driving it's bedded in now.

I'm guessing your Skyrim VR was on console but if it was on PC did you use any mods?

Yeah I consider myself as having an iron stomach, but starting out, smaller sessions, <60 minutes or so.
And I would pre-emptively take the hoodie off and drink a large glass of water before doing VR.

After about a week or so you start to relax.
It depends a lot of the game itself, and not just the motion of the game.
A very complex and new setting that takes your task saturation will seem uncomfortable in the start.
So basically everytime I start with a new sim you get a few days where you need to take care.

I have never needed the horison lock, and I have driven millions of meters on surfaces in VR, circumnavigation type runs, not just spelunking.
And when I did try the horison lock it was the most disturbing sensation ever, just no.
I have the same thing with most "comfort" aids, especially camera locks or vignetting.
If there is a game with smooth motion and forced vignetting I won't play it, period.

As for graphics settings, start easy, medium to high settings no SS or HMD-Q. see which settings you like.
Personally I don't see much point in SS, it doesn't increase the panel resolution any a minor bumb in sharpness isn't worth the added stutter, but for me shadows to high or ultra is a must.
Seems they adjusted the high settings for shadows, see a lot less popin on surfaces than I used to.

Once you have tested and checked you utilisation with a few settings I would start experimenting with SS, or in elite's case HMD-Q.

Last edited:
I played around with the settings quite a bit. I do like having HMD set to 2.0 - that gives me nice crisp text. But it does affect performance in busy areas. Also, it feels like it's reprojecting all the time - which makes me feel like a VR noob again with a touch of that sicky feeling. I wonder now if that's actually down to the lower 80hz refresh rate. Tonight I'll run Steam VR and check the advanced settings which will tell me how many frames are missed/reprojected.

I also tried using voice attack, which is nice with William Shatner talking to you, but I feel that affected performance as well. :(

I'm guessing your Skyrim VR was on console but if it was on PC did you use any mods?
Nah, it was on PSVR so zero mods. I daren't by Skyrim again!

I have never needed the horison lock, and I have driven millions of meters on surfaces in VR, circumnavigation type runs, not just spelunking.
Me too, were you on Kumay?

Personal preferences eh, horizon lock can get a bit funky when doing 360s :)

BTW, for the SteamVR thing I posted above I don't know if this applies to SteamVR on it's own or only in combination with WMR but the SteamVR's SS resolution setting at 100% has changed dramatically.
Thanks to Paul for the heads up here:

At 100% SS for the Odyssey+ SteamVR with WMR has gone from

1420 x 1780 non beta
to
2064 x 2588 beta

That's a huge leap, about 1.45x, no wonder my frame time plummeted. Taking the chance to experiment with my settings again.

Top Bottom