First Trip To Jameson Memorial

To be fair, weapons come standard on all newly purchased ships. If that doesn’t tell you what kinda Galaxy this is, I don’t know what does. Dystopian man.

Imagine buying a used VW with a pair of machineguns mounted to the hood. It would be like the modern day Sidey.
To be fair, ships come standard with a pair of size 1 pulse lasers. I think the used VW in your analogy comes with, at best, a pair of slingshots sticking out the windows.

After a number of unpleasant experiences in Shinrata - and other hotspots- I've not used Open near them.
I know that Elite status is required for Shinrata, but it's awarded for trading, exploration, and combat.
If you've been exploring, you're not going to have much PvE, PvP experience...
While 1:1 PvP isn't much fun, having a wing drop in on you isn't really sporting when you're in a trader...

Your first mistake was low waking instead of high waking after being interdicted. Imagine getting mugged. Low waking is like walking off and trying to settle yourself, but it just leaves you exposed still, and this is what you did to be mugged 3 more times. High waking is like holding on to a rocket then dropping yourself over a pillow factory of safety 'n' stuff. Had you high waked and did witchspace zig-zags across the local stars, the attackers would have probably given up on chasing you. I've also heard FDLs have terrible jump range, making the furthest stars a good target.

Your next mistake was leaving auto-dock on. Getting into the station as quick as possible with manual control would've left you exposed less, as opposed to the docking computer seeping through the mail slot at 2 miles an hour.

TL;DR: Vette owner doesn't high wake, uses auto dock, leaving himself exposed for the entire trip to Jameson until touchdown. Hey, at least he knew to submit and use the 4-2-0 pip trick to not blowing up.

...But war(Powerplay or countless warring factions in small systems) slavery, murder, piracy, alien attacks, and being executed for parking violations are a daily occurrence.

That last one should break your ‘Mersion more than anything...

Actually, everything except for aliens and being blown up for parking wrong happen on a daily basis. I'm not sure if you've heard of ISIS but it's basically that - war and slavery happening on a daily basis. Saying war and slavery breaks immersion for you is like saying that you feel like you're on red pills because the same thing happens in the real world.

...and being executed for parking violations are a daily occurrence...

You're not executed, you're just punished by being forced to eject into an escape pod that heads to the nearest detention facility then told to decide between your ship and a sidey. If you died in Elite: Dangerous, then you wouldn't press 2 buttons and be sitting back down in your ship, unless Elite: Dangerous holograms are like the ones from Red Dwarf and you stay alive in a simulation. The More You Know.. about lore

Even someone who has never once fired at another ship in Elite, NPC or otherwise, can escape danger with relative ease.

“I’m an [insert non-combat playstyle.]”

Doesn’t matter.

I’m a combat-focused player myself, but I also mine, explore, and occasionally trade. I can’t remember the last time I was killed while doing these activities. Attacked plenty, not destroyed.

It's the reward for getting to Elite.

Nothing wrong with shooting at other players in a game.

Punishing folks for doing what they enjoy in thier downtime is ridiculous. Moreover, it's also ridiculous to be upset about being shot at in a videogame.

Also lets not forget that the PF was also born through being basically a criminal group..
Right, just let people in an army club murder people because they enjoy it and because it's a reward for being in the army.

Doesn’t change the fact that they still come with weapons. Oh, and shields. Hint hint, it’s a dangerous galaxy.
Yeah, it does. If we're using nonsensical in-game choices to literally reflect lore (which you didn't answer, btw, re what the lore says about new ships), then it certainly does matter that a Beluga comes fitted with two fixes small pulses... I've flown a Beluga plenty (even had to 'sneak' past security once or twice), and I don't fancy using those two pea shooters to defend myself against--- well, anything. I'd wager one of the first things nearly all players do is get a few K creds back by selling or trading in those 'weapons'.

If all ships came with effective armaments? Then your point might stand, but that's not the case. All ships in the game are sold ostensibly at their worst, or at least with woefully ineffective combinations of modules. What does that say, if we're literally taking all of that as a reflection of the lore? You spend all that cash, and get a ship that can't jump, can't fight, can't ferry passengers, can't mine (at all), can't really trade, etc? What on earth is that supposed to say about the state of the galaxy, and what a new pilot should expect to encounter?

And which mode are you rolling with? Because my Elite universe is one that probably makes more sense... i.e. I've never been ambushed outside a station, or when approaching an Engineer landing pad. Play Solo, and you could go several hundred hours without having a single round or laser, er, beam fired at your ship.

Perhaps cruise liners being fitted with pea shooters that no one ever retains is FDev's clumsy, oblique way of trying to say Open is liable to get you ambushed? Again, it's bad design [and potentially bad lore], given nothing that comes standard will help you survive the wilds of Open.

Sure, technology is advanced in Elite’s Milky Way. Humans are still around, and prolific, which is optimistic enough.
And capable of building entire space stations in the middle of the galaxy in a matter of weeks. And developing an entire new frontier spanning, what, 100-300 light years across, 18,000Ly away from Sol?

Elite's universe would certainly include some very dystopic worlds and/or systems, sure, but it's well wide of the mark to try to assert that counts for the entire galaxy. Any casual glance through the galaxy map nixes that idea. You have entire space stations dedicated to tourism. Countless worlds have been terraformed, and many more Earths found and settled. Vonarburg Co-Operative used to be my home system, and in those days it was Communist - yet with a luxuriant interior... Suffice to say, Elite's universe can be a paradise.

One assumes the divide between rich and poor increased by magnitudes, sure, but a dystopia is much more than a gross divide between the have's and have-not's.
But war(Powerplay or countless warring factions in small systems) slavery, murder, piracy, alien attacks, and being executed for parking violations are a daily occurrence.

That last one should break your ‘Mersion more than anything.
As someone else already pointed out - and especially if we're taking gameplay alone as literal expression of lore; it isn't lethal, so that's incorrect.

Actually, everything except for aliens and being blown up for parking wrong happen on a daily basis. I'm not sure if you've heard of ISIS but it's basically that - war and slavery happening on a daily basis. Saying war and slavery breaks immersion for you is like saying that you feel like you're on red pills because the same thing happens in the real world.

You're not executed, you're just punished by being forced to eject into an escape pod that heads to the nearest detention facility then told to decide between your ship and a sidey. If you died in Elite: Dangerous, then you wouldn't press 2 buttons and be sitting back down in your ship, unless Elite: Dangerous holograms are like the ones from Red Dwarf and you stay alive in a simulation. The More You Know.. about lore

The first part-- I was reinforcing the fact that Elite is pretty Dystopian. Take the problems we have here on Earth, and spread them throughout the galaxy, and amplify them in some areas. It sucks pretty bad.

As for the second part-- I believe I was originally countering the complaint that [aspects of player interaction] are unrealistc. What you posted doesn't sound super 'realistic' either, even if it fits the lore. Being attacked by hostile spacecraft without extended notice, by player or NPC, fits well within the expectations of what you might find in Elite's Milky Way.

'Death' or not, being destroyed by a station for parking wrong, potentially costing you up to 40 million credits is 'unrealistic', too. Just like the rest of well, nearly anything, in a video game. A video game that at one point, advertised the fact that you could hunt other players in-game.

As for what mode I'm in, I play almost exclusively in open (unless pads are full and I'm feeling impatient), because I know I can handle myself against any threat that may arise. If I didn't think I could, I'd use another mode provided.

Top Bottom