Fix broken PvE AI to make it an enjoyable challenge, and not CHEAP

I'd also like to note that depending on what ship I'm using and fighting, I let NPC crew handle the mother ship (all are Deadly now) and they pull maneuvers with the mothership that makes me keep wondering what the hell I'm doing wrong lol and that usually starts when they hit Master and higher.

I'd also like to note that depending on what ship I'm using and fighting, I let NPC crew handle the mother ship (all are Deadly now) and they pull maneuvers with the mothership that makes me keep wondering what the hell I'm doing wrong lol and that usually starts when they hit Master and higher.

That is why people advise you to put a video up so we can see what you are doing wrong. Figuring out how to do that would have taken less time than the combines posts of yours in this topic.

ehhh no... calling you out for not being helpful on the forums. Up to you to improve.

His advice to record and post here for analysis was on point. Some people might not want truly helpful posts though, they want someone to pet their head and say it isn't their fault. ;)

That is why people advise you to put a video up so we can see what you are doing wrong. Figuring out how to do that would have taken less time than the combines posts of yours in this topic.

His advice to record and post here for analysis was on point. Some people might not want truly helpful posts though, they want someone to pet their head and say it isn't their fault. ;)
Firstly, I think you are mixing up posts. Secondly, why the hell are defending him like a defenseless puppy for trolling people on the forums? This is me responding to him, not a rando. Posting proof is great and I agree, but that's not what we are talking about.

If you are interested in facts, great, so am I... don't let ego get in the way of being helpful to newer players.

Since the latest update, I've done a LOT of CGs as part of my BGS-focused gameplay. My conclusion is that NCPs are not programmed to cheat. I have seen them run out of SCBs, chaff and heatsinks, and I've seen how overheating can effect them (one of my beams has TS). When you take down their power plant, their shields are guaranteed to go offline, though not much else of consequence. Taking out their FSD prevents them from escaping. And while I don't target their drives, I've seen plenty of enemies "tumbling" after being spammed by a friendly's missiles.

HOWEVER.... I do think sometimes NPCs are bugged.

Just this week I encountered a NPC in a CZ that was spamming chaff way too quick (I'm very familiar with the reload time) and more than the 10 chaff limit. Stupid NPC took forever to kill! Before I whittled him down, I pulled up his subsystem list, because I thought, "Maybe he has two chaff launchers." I've used this tactic in the past, which is the only legitimate way to "spam" chaff like that. According to the list he had just the one. So either the subsystem list reported falsely, or the AI itself was bugged in this instance. Let's face it, random bugs are not unheard of in this game.

ps - I'm not a fan of jousting either. NPCs have an incredible "flip over" ability. They obviously are not using a DS4 controller with its terrible throttle control. On PS4, they should! :p

Last edited:
People have explained how PP damage works, how power management works, what happens when the PD is blown etc, and you still keep this up? Impressive!
So pretty targeting modules are usless to the players, but the NPCs can crap up the players modules all they want... which has discouraged quite a lot of newer players I used to play with who have disappeared from the game.
BTW, why so snooty and elitist? "Eye kin play better n' u..." Woo big life accomplishment (applause)
This is just a game and it does not pay my bills, does not influence serious aspects as to how my life functions, nor goes beyond the realm of attempted "enjoyable" entertainment.
My complaint is that the AI as it is is not as enjoyable as it could be, because it appears to be capable of extremely unfair abilities that only super pro players who can devote too much time can comprehend to be "balanced" or explain away bad AI programming. Well, I only got this for a space flight fix (Friend recommened it), and I only play when I get a "Star Wars" itch I need to scratch. And PSVR would be much more enjoyable if we could get it.

You probably already know about this but just checking... have you been using Flight Assist Off for sharper turning?
EDIT: Also, I am very confident the AI doesn't cheat in it's maneuvers... it just takes full advantage of the physics available without any delay, depending on the rank of the AI. What you said about instantly switching pips, SURE! I believe the AI does that all the time, as you observerd a little of with your test. Why not? I don't count this as cheating though... just really really fast.

Last edited:
Firstly, I think you are mixing up posts. Secondly, why the hell are defending him like a defenseless puppy for trolling people on the forums? This is me responding to him, not a rando. Posting proof is great and I agree, but that's not what we are talking about.

If you are interested in facts, great, so am I... don't let ego get in the way of being helpful to newer players.
Hm, comes with an attitude to complain about someone else's attitude who normally doesn't have an attitude, derailign a thread in the process and being snarky... sympathy count... Hm. is that found in HGEs?

But fair play, that post above this one is a good one. ;)

Last edited:
You probably already know about this but just checking... have you been using Flight Assist Off for sharper turning?
I've had this game (and a HOTAS 4) for almost a year and I still can't get the perfect balance of FA on/off. I have it set comfortably on my HOTAS, but still not very good at it (or just not comfortable trying to switch between it smoothly). Just barely got my Vulture engineered to an effectively USABLE status and I hear that is a great ship to learn better maneuvering in. depending on how I"m feeling I'll use C3 PA or C3 Bursts fixed or gimballed also depending on my mood. But a vulture and a large class ship still move oh so very differently to me.

Hm, comes with an attitude to complain about someone else's attitude who normally doesn't have an attitude, derailign a thread in the process and being snarky... sympathy count... Hm. is that found in HGEs?
If you guys are truly interested in helping players out, we're on the same side. But that's not what I've seen from some of these postings.

Or (Most recently) can boost away from a player with fully destroyed drives (BOTH OF THEM), and put a ridiculous amount of distance between them and the players?
I've never seen anything like that - that is them boosting away- but sometimes, when drives are destroyed, NPC will fly away just as you would with FAoff. They're sometimes hard to catch then.

Generally, I haven't experienced NPC's cheating. In Hazardous CZ they're seriously engineered though.

If you guys are truly interested in helping players out, we're on the same side. But that's not what I've seen from some of these postings.
I can see how it might seem like that sometimes. But not me or Factabulous. I get snarky with people who get snarky with me, and I don't like it when people rant about things that aren't the case (naturally), but apart from that, helping people actually feeds my ego as I get to show off the depth of knowledge I have, and it's not like it's useful anywhere else! I do love to help generally though, it's in my nature, so I do it a lot. :)

I've had this game (and a HOTAS 4) for almost a year and I still can't get the perfect balance of FA on/off. I have it set comfortably on my HOTAS, but still not very good at it (or just not comfortable trying to switch between it smoothly). Just barely got my Vulture engineered to an effectively USABLE status and I hear that is a great ship to learn better maneuvering in. depending on how I"m feeling I'll use C3 PA or C3 Bursts fixed or gimballed also depending on my mood. But a vulture and a large class ship still move oh so very differently to me.
Yeah okay... I'm pretty sure that's how AI manuever so flawlessly. I've not mastered FA yet, but I've definitely pulled off some sweet, sharp turns comboing it with boost especially.

Targeting modules works for me, quite well in fact. My only gripe is it seems you have to get a module to 0% to see any failure, where player ships start suffering random failures much earlier. Can anyone confirm this is the case?
It seems like it doesn't happened to me as much as it used to when I first started playing. I used to get destroyed and have a hole in my canopy after one hit (even after engineering) and various system failures from PvE perfect center shot, or swarm attacks. And my hull would only be at 90%. But maybe it's also because I re-engineered some things too. There are too many factors to consider to tell IMO. But it definitely seemed like the PvE has some invincibility at times. I've never seen it be affected by thermal/overheating.

I've never seen it be affected by thermal/overheating.
The effects are minor, but there are some. First you should notice the NPC "light up" as they deploy all their heat vents. If you get them hot enough, they'll stop spamming SCBs because they are too hot to use them. I think it also reduces the amount they boost. I have even seen some NPCs blow up before reaching 0% hull, but that might also be stray shots hitting their PP. YMMV depending on the ship you are targeting (some ships like the Cutter are mighty hard to overheat with TS).

I've never seen it be affected by thermal/overheating.
What I've seen so far (3k hours in PvE, killing npcs all the time) - they do care about their thermal level, you do not need thermal shocks to see the difference, two plasmas are enough to make them feel heat. The ones with heat sinks behave differently while they have heat sink ammo.

Top Bottom