Fix PVE ships consistant ablity to high wake all the time. PVE module high damage absorption.

I've been doing TL7 pirate POIs in my Corvette recently.

I've found that simply ramming the target and then unloading with lasers, rails, frag's and MC's all at the same time while it's wedged on the bow of my ship gets the job done.

Subtle, it ain't. šŸ˜

Target FSD

Just this. Sometimes they get away, usually they don't.

In a CZ I target the FSD & if I get it down while they still have plenty of hull left (power plant seems to have no effect atm) they will remain to be picked off at the end of the battle, unable to jump.

For mission pirates I target the FSD but their hull usually depletes first (depends on the ship). If they turn to run my targeting the FSD quite often takes out the engines, again preventing them from escaping.

For Custom NPC pirates I get Elite ones because I'm Combat Elite, and they always face tank so hitting the FSD is tricky, they may escape if I'm in a low DPS ship, usually they follow a similar pattern to mission pirates.

I haven't done much RES work in a while, not since before 3.3. I've done a few assassinations but I don't think one has ever lasted long enough to try to jump away because if I'm doing the mission I'll be doing it in a ship suited to the task (ie I know what danger I'm jumping into).

On rare occasions I'll have a wake scanner equipped & will follow their high wake. They always retain damage, and always jump to an anarchy (unpopulated) system. Helpfully they will then interdict me so I can have another go without needing to fit an interdictor myself.

It may be that some of the issues mentioned are related to the player not being the instance host, I usually work alone.

Strange... Sometimes I wonder if everyone is playing the same game...
I've taken down many mission target NPCs (wing assassination, simple assassination), FDLs, vettes, condas, you name it, and I always manage to destroy them before they can high wake...
And I'm in a Vulture.
@OP maybe check your weapons and eventually engineer them.
You should be able to take them down even faster in a combat fitted Anaconda.

Deleted member 115407

D
Yeah. I want NPCs to be smarter without breaking the rules.

Make it happen

I agree with this. NPCs should follow the same rules as players in what regards escaping. Mission targets should only low wake. NPCs should be affected by damaged modules. damage thrusters should reduce their speed and ability to boost (like max pips assigned. 3 pips max at 75%, 2 pips max at 50%, 1 pip max at 25%, 0 pips at 5% or below)
FSD module should also delay or even malfunction if damaged, and be affected by mass lock.
Sorry, that doesn't make any sense. If they should follow the same rules as players, why should they only low wake?

Strange... Sometimes I wonder if everyone is playing the same game...
I've taken down many mission target NPCs (wing assassination, simple assassination), FDLs, vettes, condas, you name it, and I always manage to destroy them before they can high wake...
And I'm in a Vulture.
@OP maybe check your weapons and eventually engineer them.
You should be able to take them down even faster in a combat fitted Anaconda.
Same here. What's even stranger, when I didn't manage to destroy them before they high wake, they almost always retain their damage. Regardless if I am meeting them in the same system or if I follow their wake. I believe that it's just buggy and only works half the time.

Same here. What's even stranger, when I didn't manage to destroy them before they high wake, they almost always retain their damage. Regardless if I am meeting them in the same system or if I follow their wake. I believe that it's just buggy and only works half the time.
Never seen them retain damage. Seems they respawn instead of continue in SC. I interdicted a FdL that became a Cobra once in normal space. If I go to the mission target again, new ship is there even if it was 1K Ls behind me in SC. It could have anywhere between 1 to 3 wingmen, inconsistently.

Sorry, that doesn't make any sense. If they should follow the same rules as players, why should they only low wake?
Think he means that a ship at 2% should have lost some abilities. They seem at full strength until they pop if you dont module snipe.

Default target when cycling through targets is hull, correct? And NPCs target our modules, correct?

Never seen them retain damage. Seems they respawn instead of continue in SC. I interdicted a FdL that became a Cobra once in normal space. If I go to the mission target again, new ship is there even if it was 1K Ls behind me in SC. It could have anywhere between 1 to 3 wingmen, inconsistently.
Plenty of people reported that NPCs retain damage, so I am pretty sure I'm not imagining things. ;)

Think he means that a ship at 2% should have lost some abilities. They seem at full strength until they pop if you dont module snipe.

Default target when cycling through targets is hull, correct? And NPCs target our modules, correct?
The claim that NPCs cheat is as old as the forums and yet nobody managed to catch it on video...

I believe their ability to target modules depends on rank. Not sure how that's following different rules.

There are a few things that are indeed different. Such as infinite MC ammo or jumping through planetary bodies. And of course the magical full health return which seems to be a bug because it doesn't happen always. But that's about it.

The AI ships in PVE ALWAYS uses high wake jumps and never, ever tries to go into supercruise.

Not really, the AI ships never jump anywhere, they de-spawn. I wouldn't mind if they actually jumped out, but then I would prefer if they wouldn't simultaneously be right behind me if I low-wake back to SC. Something about having and eating cookies.

I have to wonder what sort of weapons people are fitting to their ships for this to be a problem, TBH.
I mean, I'm pretty dull when it comes to weapon choice; it's all efficient lasers and long-range MCs for me (mostly) and I've never really had a problem exploding anything if required.

Also, I find it a bit ironic that half the time, on here, people are moaning that they "don't have a chance" against overpowered NPCs and the rest of the time they're moaning that NPCs run away at the first sign of taking damage.

Seems pretty reasonable that, when a Bounty Hunter engages a goup of pirates, they might attempt to fight but then run away when they realise they aren't going to win.
Surely it's up to the BHer to ensure they've got weapons fitted which are capable of destroying targets before they can escape?

Sure, it'd be nice if FDev sorted out the issues with persistence and it'd be nice if mission-targets were persistent too but it's perfectly possible to deal with these scenarios using the tools we have available to us.
They aren't at all consistent, maybe that's to mimic human behavior. I have overwhelming firepower on my Vette, but when the Pirate Lord (Vette) decides to highwake before his shields drop, there's not much I can do to stop him. That happens about 1/10 battles with Pirate Lords. Typically they try to highwake too late. They rarely fight to the death anymore.

Target FSD

Yup, not only do they highwake, they even fly evasive and fit HRPs and MRPs...

OP: take out the FSD with rails (or Multis or bursts) and they will never flee again. Or the drives.

I have had luck using SP rails for this. If I am ever taking pirate missions I make sure and target the FSD right away, especially if it is an Annie, and start hammering it. Smaller ships are usually not an issue.

They aren't at all consistent, maybe that's to mimic human behavior. I have overwhelming firepower on my Vette, but when the Pirate Lord (Vette) decides to highwake before his shields drop, there's not much I can do to stop him. That happens about 1/10 battles with Pirate Lords. Typically they try to highwake too late. They rarely fight to the death anymore.
This ^

Which is why I ram them until their shields drop and maybe get one in for good measure. They don't respond nor do their wingmates. I get them to 75% before I even engage. Sucks from a role playing perspective but when they can magically heal upon SC, then you gotta do what you gotta do. Can't let them terrorize poor haulers.

Top Bottom