Flatride models shouldn't all have specific themes

I just wanted to mention that I find it a bit worrying at the moment that most flatrides that are currently in the game have a certain theme instead of being rather generic. Even those country fair fast spinning lights flashing type of flatrides basically have a set theme. I'd like to see most flat rides not having a set theme yet to keep their variability high. Otherwise we'll see too many parks with all the same rides in the same areas.

the more specificly themed the flatrides are modelled -> the less variation we will see in the users' creations later

the more generic the flatrides are modelled -> the more adaptable they will be to new ideas and new themes

Last edited:

Vampiro

Volunteer Moderator
I just wanted to mention that I find it a bit worrying at the moment that most flatrides that are currently in the game have a certain theme instead of being rather generic. Even those country fair fast spinning lights flashing type of flatrides basically have a set theme. I'd like to see most flat rides not having a set theme yet to keep their variability high. Otherwise we'll see too many parks with all the same rides in the same areas.

the more specificly themed the flatrides are modelled -> the less variation we will see in the users' creations later

the more generic the flatrides are modelled -> the more adaptable they will be to new ideas and new themes

Especially more early in development this suggestion/remark has been made very often.

Dev's are aware of what we think and hopefully they will act accordingly. Maybe some rides will have 2 versions like a themed one and a generic.
I remember something like this was mentioned during the livestreams but i can't recall exactly what was said.

I'm rather surprised that you can't select a flat ride and then choose its theme. This is what I would prefer. What I mean by this is assume I want to build a tea cup ride. It would make sense to me to select the tea cups ride from among a list of other generic rides, then select a desired theme if any, and finally place it in the position I want.

The way it appears to work right now is similar to RCT3 where you'd see the tea cups, spooky cups, sci-fi cups, and dinosaur cups all side-by-side as icons in the ride selection window. You can filter by theme if needed. The game literally presents these as multiple distinct rides. Some rides, such as the Phoenix Twister, have no generic versions. Some rides come in every theme.

I suppose my preference runs into trouble for rides that don't have generic versions.

Last edited:
Generics for all rides would be my preference. Themed versions are great, but get really restrictive of how that ride is used.

Brett C

Frontier
I'm rather surprised that you can't select a flat ride and then choose its theme. This is what I would prefer. What I mean by this is assume I want to build a tea cup ride. It would make sense to me to select the tea cups ride from among a list of other generic rides, then select a desired theme if any, and finally place it in the position I want.

The way it appears to work right now is similar to RCT3 where you'd see the tea cups, spooky cups, sci-fi cups, and dinosaur cups all side-by-side as icons in the ride selection window. You can filter by theme if needed. The game literally presents these as multiple distinct rides. Some rides, such as the Phoenix Twister, have no generic versions. Some rides come in every theme.

I suppose my preference runs into trouble for rides that don't have generic versions.
This is a very legitimate concern. It's actually something i've wrote up a while back about.

I'm a fan of modular customisation to a ride/section, a very big fan of such.

I'm a fan of modular customisation to a ride/section, a very big fan of such.

Me too! And to expand on BigDragon's post, I'd like to be able to place a teacups ride, then select how big I want it (radius, number of cups etc.) then be able to choose a type of cup. Then I'd like to be able to set the rotation speed and direction of the ride, and it's cycle length. These are all things that I think would take this game to the next level.

I would agree with the above, have complete ride options for flat rides. Similar to RTC3 we could select from a pre-designed coaster or build our own. Why not have a similar deal with flat rides. have some pre-designed/pre-themed options to appeal to those who aren't as interested in customizing, but also let us choose a generic that we can customize. I would like to be able to change colors of flat rides as well as track rides.

Me too! And to expand on BigDragon's post, I'd like to be able to place a teacups ride, then select how big I want it (radius, number of cups etc.) then be able to choose a type of cup. Then I'd like to be able to set the rotation speed and direction of the ride, and it's cycle length. These are all things that I think would take this game to the next level.
I agree; and I think it'd be cool if there was some way we could edit flat ride and train models - that way, 3D modelers could easily theme the vehicle however they want so long as they leave the vehicle integrity in tact (leave the seats, restraints and wheels or mechanics of the ride in-tact).

I'm glad to find this thread. Seeing all the amazing buildings that people are creating out of the current selection of pieces within game is truly incredible. I just hope that there will be some way to vary flat rides so that we all don't have the exact same identical rides in our parks. At the very least to begin with, it would be good to have the option to turn off collision with scenery & rides so that we can "dress" them all up a bit differently. I'm hoping we will be able to change the fences or have no fences so we can create our own. Down the track it would be great if users are able to edit or even create their own rides. I can dream... [happy]

Once PC is on Steam, the community can use the workshop to share all kinds of things. I think they will be able to easily share parks, rides , custom scenery, etc.

Vampiro

Volunteer Moderator
Once PC is on Steam, the community can use the workshop to share all kinds of things. I think they will be able to easily share parks, rides , custom scenery, etc.

Im really curious to that!!

I think its a safe bet to think Scenery will be customisable, but Flatrides and stuff?... I certainly hope they will be!!

But i guess we will get more information about that later on :)

Last edited:
As I have mentioned many times I just don't see the community making the flat rides that would be accessible to the management/scenario side and will only be used in free play which means Frontier would still have to produce Theme and non themed rides themselves to be Incorporated into the scenarios.

I don't play sandbox all much myself so from what I can see with UGC it will be pretty useless for myself. I am sure there will be thousands of others in the same boat and so I believe we still need to push Frontier to fully develop each theme to allow for different ride themes etc.

This is excellent. Be allowed to add cabins/cups... and other custom parts. The theming Idea is great also...but I don't know...this seems like a dream to me, just a wish. I don't expect that from frontier weirdly. [weird]

It would be magic though...

This is how I believe it should work when selecting flatrides and the themes for them, in the flatride menu they all start out as the generic theme then after they place the ride they can go to the ride settings and change the theme from there.

I just pre-buy the game, and I decide to finish watching the video where you show access to steam workshop from the game itself. In my case, I have enough experience in 3Dmax, and if there was an application to customize flatrides and even create new, even if it were external to the game and more complex, in my case would be a machine to create mods haha I even think Frontier could select the best new objects / rides and add its price and features for inclusion in the official scenarios, .DLCs mods, quality supervision, with permission of the author, and devote their time (and salary) to improve other functional aspects of the game more complex. :) PS: sorry for my English

Top Bottom