Ships Fleet Carrier Name Change Character Limit Shrinking?

So I've had my fleet carrier a couple of weeks now and started buying painite like almost everyone else and changed my carrier name to make it more clear that I'm buying. I came up with a better name so I changed again. This time I noticed that the character limit for the carrier name has decreased (and the red bar increased in size). It seems that every time there is a name change, the limit of characters in the name decreases, which was not clear to me at the beginning.

Does this limit ever increase after a certain amount of time or am I stuck with an ever decreasing number of characters for my carrier name?

(note I originally posted this in the Beta thread thinking that covered Fleet Carriers... to be honest I'm not sure which thread this question should be in)

A couple thoughts spring to mind...

One, never rename a ship. It's quite possible you are seeing the early set-in of the many misfortunes that are surely heading your way as the result of renaming a ship, which, as I said, never do. It's bad luck don't you know.

Two, it could be a ploy devised by FDev to eventually reduce the number of carriers in Elite to 26, as they clearly have a problem with overpopulation. With enough renaming, which you should never do, the possible ship names are reduced down to the letters of the alphabet.

Sorry, X has been used, retry or cancel?

Or a third possibility, and that it's just a glitch, and FDev, being seafaring sorts, didn't expect that anyone would actually tempt fate by renaming their ships so often.

Thanks for your thoughts, but I'm not sure I understand...

Why is it "bad" to rename a ship? The fleet carrier registration number remains the same regardless of any name changes, so I'm not sure why there would be any impact to the game. Additionally, if it is "bad", why did Fdev give the option to do this without any warning that it should not be used?

Thanks for your thoughts, but I'm not sure I understand...

Why is it "bad" to rename a ship? The fleet carrier registration number remains the same regardless of any name changes, so I'm not sure why there would be any impact to the game. Additionally, if it is "bad", why did Fdev give the option to do this without any warning that it should not be used?
That's long standing sailor superstition. You shouldn't hire any female crew either. Double for Redheads. :p

Right, it's maritime tradition. When a ship receives a name, it is recorded for all time in the Ledger of the Deep. Any attempt to change the registered name is seen by the gods as an attempt to slip something past, a nefarious seafaring enterprise. And foul misfortune befalls the ship.

Scoff at your peril.

And bananas. Never agree to load bananas in your hold. You have been warned, a second time!

That's long standing sailor superstition. You shouldn't hire any female crew either. Double for Redheads. :p

359320_screenshots_20201113180602_1.jpg

So you're saying this is a problem for me then?

Top Bottom