Ships Fleet Carrier "Upkeep costs" are asinine!

First of all, requiring fuel to be mined to run them is fine. Give us the ability to send AI crew out with a mining ship we have set up and let them come back and fill the tank on a loop until full. Let us send an AI-piloted fighter or two to defend said miner. They can fly in a wing, they will return with fuel and life can go on. Why would I suggest this? Most of us have LIVES. Give us the ability to automate some things and we'll gladly play more. We don't need to have a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th job. Life is already a pain in the neck.

Now... UPKEEP COSTS? Those are where the absurdity begins. Costs to make a jump? Why? YOU MINED THE FUEL. You make us spend a ludicrous amount of money, only to now have to spend EVEN MORE money to not only jump, but make sure the "carrier doesn't fall into debt"? There's a line. And you crossed it. Now it's less about fun-factor and more about "how much do I want to smash my skull against the wall? Until I fall unconscious? End up in a coma? Commit wall-assisted suicide?" Seriously. WHO'S IDEA WAS THIS? Because it was a terrible one. It's bad enough we have to maintain "weekly standings", amass an insane amount of credits for these carriers and then go BUY MORE SHIPS to fill a few pads with so that we have our options. "Do I feel like mining today? Do I feel like blasting fools?" Options are good, but strapping "red tape" around those options is BAD. At the very most, upkeep should only be required if the carrier takes damage. Tacking on a cost that DEMANDS that you forfeit any time you have to do the mind-numbing job of "keeping your mobile base afloat" is a horrendous idea on every level. What you're basically saying to your playerbase is "Don't get a life, because you'll go into debt and lose everything! Too bad so sad for you". Shameful.

The concept is great, the execution is laughable.

You describe millions upon millions as "nothing"? Are you high? Unless that has changed dramatically to be "hundreds of thousands", your argument makes no sense. I don't have 20 hours a day to grind to upkeep a carrier for a month without caring. I have a job, a life and things to do that include not being in my apartment 24/7. So please explain yourself.

You describe millions upon millions as "nothing"? Are you high? Unless that has changed dramatically to be "hundreds of thousands", your argument makes no sense. I don't have 20 hours a day to grind to upkeep a carrier for a month without caring. I have a job, a life and things to do that include not being in my apartment 24/7. So please explain yourself.
A billion a year is not a large upkeep. If you can afford a carrier, then you can afford the upkeep.

I literally pay my upkeep easily from AX combat and that is not known to be very well paid in general.

20 hours a day? That is 140 hours per week. Lets assume you have 20M/week upkeep. Do you really make less than 140k/h? Then you need to find a better grind.

22 mill a week here. I've not logged in all week due to rl.
We don't own the carrier we lease it from brewer Corp.
That lease needs to be honoured. If you can't afford to then don't get one.
Just go laser mining painite which is sort of Op atm and amass 20 bill in a week or so and bank that on the carrier then chill. That's 10 years of gameplay. (Approx)

hmm, thread/reply's are having an opposite effect on me
20/30m upkeep a week? that's nothing really is it
I'm on the fence still but the more I hear about them the more I want one

hmm, thread/reply's are having an opposite effect on me
20/30m upkeep a week? that's nothing really is it
I'm on the fence still but the more I hear about them the more I want one
I accidentally installed the black market on mine (terrible service description). Rather than remove it I've just kept it on because that's how cheap maintenance is.

Weren't they originally even more expensive?
Yep, plus they had much longer waiting time between jumps.

There will always be commanders who aren't satisfied with it until there is zero upkeep cost and it cost only 100 million credits to purchase one.

First of all, requiring fuel to be mined to run them is fine. Give us the ability to send AI crew out with a mining ship we have set up and let them come back and fill the tank on a loop until full. Let us send an AI-piloted fighter or two to defend said miner. They can fly in a wing, they will return with fuel and life can go on. Why would I suggest this? Most of us have LIVES. Give us the ability to automate some things and we'll gladly play more. We don't need to have a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th job. Life is already a pain in the neck.

Now... UPKEEP COSTS? Those are where the absurdity begins. Costs to make a jump? Why? YOU MINED THE FUEL. You make us spend a ludicrous amount of money, only to now have to spend EVEN MORE money to not only jump, but make sure the "carrier doesn't fall into debt"? There's a line. And you crossed it. Now it's less about fun-factor and more about "how much do I want to smash my skull against the wall? Until I fall unconscious? End up in a coma? Commit wall-assisted suicide?" Seriously. WHO'S IDEA WAS THIS? Because it was a terrible one. It's bad enough we have to maintain "weekly standings", amass an insane amount of credits for these carriers and then go BUY MORE SHIPS to fill a few pads with so that we have our options. "Do I feel like mining today? Do I feel like blasting fools?" Options are good, but strapping "red tape" around those options is BAD. At the very most, upkeep should only be required if the carrier takes damage. Tacking on a cost that DEMANDS that you forfeit any time you have to do the mind-numbing job of "keeping your mobile base afloat" is a horrendous idea on every level. What you're basically saying to your playerbase is "Don't get a life, because you'll go into debt and lose everything! Too bad so sad for you". Shameful.

If the costs and grind are that bad for you then I suggest don't get a carrier and stick to using a station, they are free in cost and free from the stress of running a fleet carrier. After all Elite Dangerous is game, not a stressful job.

You'll get away with <10M/week if you just equip basic rearm/repair/refuel services. Unless you plan to offer shipyard/outfitting services to others, it is really cheap.
I agree. The most expensive services are expensive and useless.

I have also added payment. It's a pity you can't even pay fines.

Still peanuts to run mine...
Screenshot_20201116_141937.png

When you run cargo missions it pays for its self weekly cost. In not having to do jumps...
Emo59goWMAIvnhD

Hey man. I feel your pain. Offline upkeep is a stupid mechanic that opens lots of doors. Not to mention it's manipulative to get the players to keep coming back. On the plus side you only loose 5% of your CR if it gets decomed. It was almost the whole thing originally. That's all under the bridge now though. The player base decided upkeep was the bestest idea ever so here you go. Enjoy it and the wonderful screeching your post will cause. o7

So, I cannot say , looking at numbers, I am worried about costs for the next 10 years...
"You'll get away with <10M/week if you just equip basic rearm/repair/refuel services. Unless you plan to offer shipyard/outfitting services to others, it is really cheap. "

Elite-Dangerous-Screenshot-2020-11-17-23-21-29-85.png

Well I've been busting my chops trying to amass enough money to even get a carrier. I'm up to 1B after over a week... It's not time efficient for people who have things to do. Basically what I'm being told is "spend the required amount of weeks farming to make it run for 10 years". I don't want to spend 10-18 (depending on time available) weeks just mining! What the hell? Who uses logic like that? I already have a job. WHY do I want another job that I won't get paid for?

Last edited:
Well I've been busting my chops trying to amass enough money to even get a carrier. I'm up to 1B after over a week... It's not time efficient for people who have things to do. Basically what I'm being told is "spend the required amount of weeks farming to make it run for 10 years". I don't want to spend 10-18 (depending on time available) weeks just mining! What the hell? Who uses logic like that? I already have a job. WHY do I want another job that I won't get paid for?

You can get easily one in just one week. Then, after, do like me - one or two times / week dedicate 2-3 hours for mining; Before you realize, billions will accumulate. In 2-3 months you may get enough to keep the FC running for several years; After that do what you like most; Right now I do mining once 2-3 days NOT for credits ( I have over 10 billions ONLY because the FC help me a lot ! ) but I do mining to get those basic raw materials who keep me ammo-free ( via synthesis ! ) hours and hours in CZ and / or ResH without the need to travel to a dock in order to rearm.
Because what I enjoy most is fighting.

how much you making in 1 hour? there are ways of getting to over 1b in under a week but it does take a bit of effort to get to that point
also why do you want an FC? it's not a requirement to play the game so you don't have to do it

I thought FC's would be end of game content and from what I understand it initially was, it was then made easier to have/run them. yes there's still a bit of effort involved but that's the point isn't it?

Top Bottom