Fleet Carriers and Why I'll Be Buying One

So I've made my run to Colonia and tried out the mechanics of most of it and my verdict is that it meets my expectations in what I was waiting for to make my return trip. I can stuff my ships and modules into it and make the journey in 3 to 5 evenings of play. The services to fuel, rearm, and repair are now not preventatively expensive. The addition of UC makes it very handy for my short to medium range treks into the black. The storage of cargo was not something I anticipated being available so that's really a bonus. So the short and sweet is that it's meeting my goals for fleet movement and reconfiguration of ships onboard so I will buy and take on the maintenance cost.

One of my biggest wishes was having cargo storage for mining material and now (well soon) I have it. I'm hopeful some building will occur on this. Some way to advertise REMOTELY to other players what the purpose or schedule of this carrier is more informative than the current activity list. Tritium yield rate is now decent. It seems possible to use it to top up or even replenish a 1000 or 2000LY run. Single hot-spots are plentiful while double or triple spots are harder to find and will likely be places to note. I enjoyed the interaction with a friend to work out him shipping fuel out to me when I abandoned my idea of mining my way to Colonia (just to see). I was able to buy from him and make the trip profitable for him to do. That kind of thing makes the universe more interesting.

The 500LY jump range seems pretty good. It's enough to allow us to reach some new places but not so far as to shrink the universe tremendously. As noted by many, the FC is not going to win races around the galaxy. The fuel use seems good as well. I would still welcome a little more fuel efficiency which both increases the mobility as well as reduces the mining burden per jump but where it is does not feel bad either.

The UI still needs work. Market management, buy/sell, and transferring all being reached from separate screens is not ideal.

The routing issue is bonkers. Let us plot a route. Even if we have to initiate each jump there is no reason to make me hunt and peck my way from here to there. Just like regular ships, if the fuel runs out after jump 5 with current weight and fuel load turn the lines dashed.

Fuel transfer is bonkers. Having the captain land a tanker on the ship so he can manually move fuel from the cargo hold to the fuel tank is just busted and stupid. Fix this. If you don't want galaxy-wide remote fueling then come up with something else but ship transfer to donation is just comically dumb.

Upkeep. The credits are not a huge deal and costs feel right. Not back-breaking, but not completely trivial. If anything I think they could go up a bit maxing out at around 40M. But, if the goal is the reduction of unused carriers then you are going to need something else. People can pour in 1, 2, 3 years of upkeep. Now I like being able to fund the ship for a long duration mission but some limit on the funds assigned to upkeep needs to be set or the mechanism is not going to result in any decommisioned carriers. They will be floating there for years because nearly everyone is going to pour in money to not worry about upkeep.

The money printing exploits are a bit alarming. I do hope those are addressed before they go live.

But those negatives aside... I want one, I will have one, and I'll be pretty pleased to get it.

It sure does allow some cool places to hang out:
EndersGameKashyapa1.jpg

EndersGameKashyapa2.jpg

Well said Cmdr. I'll get one too. Many of my activities will be enhanced with a FC. I might even take it out of the bubble once in a while. I agree with your wish list but no show stoppers.

Bridge/jump view/visitor activity log.

Fuel transfer is bonkers. Having the captain land a tanker on the ship so he can manually move fuel from the cargo hold to the fuel tank is just busted and stupid. Fix this. If you don't want galaxy-wide remote fueling then come up with something else but ship transfer to donation is just comically dumb.
From a reality perspective, how else would you do this ?

How about a simple +/- screen to move tritium between fuel tank and inventory? Should take 1 developer about 30 minutes, including 15 minutes of test cases.
No I mean, in the year 3306 how do you move cargo from the hold to the fuel tank

What?

How do I know how a fleet carrier I’ve never seen a schematic of moves anything inside itself. I wouldn’t have even a modicum of care either. This mechanic is terrible.

Since a facility exists to move it into my ship and then from my ship then there is no reason it can’t move directly.

Last edited:
Well said, OP. And I agree with essentially everything. But as silly as some of the design shortcomings are, I don't think they're going to greatly interfere with my own playstyle. Because I see carrier life in the long run as about convenience, not raw speed.

Take the transfer mechanic, for example. For exploration--at least once I'm well and truly away from the bubble--I imagine the play-loop is going to be something like: (1) several days or weeks of playing, i.e. flitting around to systems within 200-300LY of the carrier; (2) a focused search for a next stop around 450-500 LY away, looking for a good tritium hotspot or a convenient neutron star, or something especially pretty to see in the right general direction; followed by (3) a single jump to whatever location I find. And with carrier jumps that far apart, switching into the Type 9 I keep aboard (for cross-loading large fuel purchases) to top off the depot once in a while is an annoyance, but hardly crippling.

If I get more than a couple kLY from the carrier, so that I can't summon it to me in 75 minutes, then it'll be a deliberate choice.

Likewise, route plotting is only going to matter if I need to get the carrier somewhere in a hurry. And with UC and repairs following me around, I'll rarely--maybe never--need that. If I need only myself to be elsewhere in a hurry, I'll probably just race across the galaxy in my Anaconda or Phantom, do the whatever, then zip back to the carrier again. Note that this overall strategy means that I'll permanently station some combat and utility ships in both the bubble and Colonia, so that I have the right tools handy to do other things if I show up without the mobile garage. Just the way that I do those things right now. The carrier will cart around the exploration ships, some mining ships, and maybe a few others for playing around in out in the black.

For that matter, if I really DO need to race the carrier hell-for-leather halfway across the galaxy, I'll just plug the destination into Spansh's new plotter or whatever other tool comes along and get a list of waypoints in a few minutes. Just like I do now with neutrons when I just have to get somewhere fast. And running the jumps sitting in the T9 for fuel transfers is hardly going to be a blip.

In many ways I feel the same, I made my trip out to the seagull Nebula, jellyfish nebula and back to the start, used around 7000t of fuel so not a cheap journey. I found myself plotting the next jump then doing something else for 15 minutes, that's a really bad gameplay mechanism.

I started to race the carrier to the next system, that kept me a bit more engaged. Obviously one could spend a lot of time scoping out each local area. Seeing the carrier arrive was pretty cool as the jump and arrival on the carrier was very uneventful.

I don't need or want half the services but at least is does what I want out of the box, one place to store my fleet and modules. I'm pleased we can store fuel in the cargo as I do not and will not mine. Ever.

I would like to see a bridge view implemented and some more value to the crew, I mean paying for someone who cant even move my fuel from cargo to the fuel tank feels like a bad deal lol.

I'd be happy to pay extra for skilled crew perhaps saving you fuel per jump or plotting a course, keeping your ships in tip top shape, for example making necessary repairs and general cleaning/painting whilst on storage. When I get my ship out of storage it should be clean, repaired and rearmed, assuming we have these services installed.

Overall fairly satisfied at the charges to date and I just need to get my credit balance up before launch....

I'm pretty happy with it.

I'd like Tritium to be cheaper and easier to mine, but I'll be getting one as soon as they arrive.

I've mostly played in the Bubble and it works fine in that role.

Currently heading out in the deep as my final testing run before beta ends.

All good

Just a quick question: I'm pretty sure some of you have already figured out how much tritium is needed for a trip between the Bubble and Colonia and how much it costs if you buy the tritium. I would like to make a rough calculation if it is worth it compared to a standard ship transfer. The most expensive transfer would be an Anaconda (5 ships in total), but I think I can calculate the difference myself - once I know the approximate tritium cost. I don't mind the 5 Billion for the Carrier as I could decommission it at any time. So all what matters for me and now are the Tritium costs for this distance.

Just a quick question: I'm pretty sure some of you have already figured out how much tritium is needed for a trip between the Bubble and Colonia and how much it costs if you buy the tritium. I would like to make a rough calculation if it is worth it compared to a standard ship transfer. The most expensive transfer would be an Anaconda (5 ships in total), but I think I can calculate the difference myself - once I know the approximate tritium cost. I don't mind the 5 Billion for the Carrier as I could decommission it at any time. So all what matters for me and now are the Tritium costs for this distance.
I filled up for 1 billion and went to The Skull an Crossbones nebula,which i think was 15000ly and used 1/3 of it (y)

What?

How do I know how a fleet carrier I’ve never seen a schematic of moves anything inside itself. I wouldn’t have even a modicum of care either. This mechanic is terrible.

Since a facility exists to move it into my ship and then from my ship then there is no reason it can’t move directly.
Best think is that SC doesnt have any FC yet :eek:😆

Top Bottom