Fleet Carriers as a construction platform

Hello Commanders
Your friendly neighborhood Sky Marshal Vicktore Beskor here with a new topic for discussion. Now we all know that FDev is not fond of group gameplay mechanics but I was thinking. That fleet carriers could be used to construct in game assets in unpopulated systems to add a new Challenge to the BGS and a new dynamic to minor faction. How this could be done is a larger topic for discussion but I feel that it is worth talking about.

The leak indicates that base building might be coming.

What mechanism that will take (if indeed its true) will remain to be seen. I think its more likely a custom module for ships or custom deployable "cargo". I don't think Fleet Carriers will be part of that, considering what we understand of their mechanics... but who knows, maybe you will be able to shoot construction modules down to planets from space.

I'm pretty certain that it won't have anything to do with group gameplay mechnanics either and that you will be able to build bases on your own.

What mechanism that will take (if indeed its true) will remain to be seen. I think its more likely a custom module for ships or custom deployable "cargo". I don't think Fleet Carriers will be part of that, considering what we understand of their mechanics... but who knows, maybe you will be able to shoot construction modules down to planets from space.

I'm pretty certain that it won't have anything to do with group gameplay mechnanics either and that you will be able to build bases on your own.
Interesting thought but elite dangerous could use some type of group gameplay and colonization of unpopulated systems would add much to the BGS and minor factions

Base building = Fleet carriers

Population adjustment has to be essential to base building, and they clearly stated Population Adjustment is NOT going to happen.

Boooooooo................hisssssssss......

We what, load up a carrier to capacity with ships loaded to capacity with materials to turn in at a mega ship in that sector, deliver said materials until the construction project is done a few hours later and sit back and go “That was rewarding game play”?

Just sprinkle with a few stops in between to refuel said Carrier and Bob’s your uncle.

I just don’t see Frontier ever turning Elite into Colonize the Galaxy, which is a good thing.

Landing pads with rearm repair refuel. What would a base do that fleet carriers wouldnt? The only thing is that they are mobile bases. They are modular and can be built to do different tasks.

There have also been no other hints or anything to indicate a separate feature for base building. I think it fits the description

Landing pads with rearm repair refuel. What would a base do that fleet carriers wouldnt? The only thing is that they are mobile bases. They are modular and can be built to do different tasks.

There have also been no other hints or anything to indicate a separate feature for base building. I think it fits the description

Oh, get you. Well, its not exactly base building, more base buying. But a mobile base is cooler than a static one anyway.

Umm, other than FC are a 2019 release, and the 'leak' said Base Building is 2020 ... cue the usual 'it was only a leak' replies ;)

And as others have said : Bases are based somewhere - fleet carriers carry stuff around. Unless we're saying my dbx is now a base 🤔

Base Building = Fleet Carriers ...... which implies Atmospheric Planets, because the FCs will land but never be able to take off again, so they get used as a base on the planet ... hah !

It might happen.

I'm still assuming that a Carrier will only be able to carry 16 ships at a time (one hangar per pad, and logging out while docked doesn't free-up the hangar). If so, that's a role for a base, it could handle more ships.

Also, we've been told that Carier fuel can be bought at (some) stations. So that's another function for a base: to manufacture and sell Carrier fuel.

I can imagine an "asteroid base builder" as an expendable Large-pad "ship" that contains everything you need to turn a large asteroid into a basic asteroid base with no services, and more expendable Large-pad and Medium-pad prefabs that you send in to add services.

Hello Commanders
Your friendly neighborhood Sky Marshal Vicktore Beskor here with a new topic for discussion. Now we all know that FDev is not fond of group gameplay mechanics but I was thinking. That fleet carriers could be used to construct in game assets in unpopulated systems to add a new Challenge to the BGS and a new dynamic to minor faction. How this could be done is a larger topic for discussion but I feel that it is worth talking about.

I do not thing so. I am almost sure that the whole background engine of ED is not able to do this.
If someone (FDevs till today) want to make some new persistent installation in game, like planetary base or space port, it must be done on server side, probably manually (not exactly, I suppose that FDevs have some scripts etc. for this kind of work).
I can imagine that Fleet Carriers will be more or less the same. Some kind of 3D model (or several 3D models) which will be simply moved around the galaxy database according to the owner trajectory set via Galaxy map. Something like you will set the point where the FC will be on map after the next server tick. Nothing more, no BGS, no factions etc.

But, we will see.

I do not thing so. I am almost sure that the whole background engine of ED is not able to do this.
If someone (FDevs till today) want to make some new persistent installation in game, like planetary base or space port, it must be done on server side, probably manually (not exactly, I suppose that FDevs have some scripts etc. for this kind of work).
I can imagine that Fleet Carriers will be more or less the same. Some kind of 3D model (or several 3D models) which will be simply moved around the galaxy database according to the owner trajectory set via Galaxy map. Something like you will set the point where the FC will be on map after the next server tick. Nothing more, no BGS, no factions etc.

But, we will see.

Pretty sure the Official Addendum to the first Official Statement states Carriers are not moved on server ticks. If someone would be kindly enough to link/quote the Official Statement and Official Addendum, that would be great. I’d do it myself but about to leave the office and start my 38 mile trek home.

Top Bottom