Fleet Carriers - Beta 1 - Feedback Changes

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
well, IMHO the newly implemented numbers (and I am explorer mainly) do work.
If I buy a FC I don´t care about loss in value as I intend to keep it - so FDs descisions do not bother me at all in that specific regard.
Filling up the FCs account works remotely as well, and my monthly exploration income will cover the upkeep more then fivefold.
Which other benefits the carrier will have - we´ll see, but I personally can think of various different approaches...

Last edited:
That's not what it's supposed to do. It's there to identify and remove abandoned Fleet Carriers from the game.
These things are large stations. With the nerfing of the costs, these things are already going to clutter up the game like grey nomads clogging the roads with their Winnebagos.
Without upkeep, the galaxy would look like a feral junkyard in no time.
Without punishing the player they could 'decommission' in some other way than taking away a great chunk of credits. Either 'mothballing' so they don't appear in the universe until some player action is taken, or have them slow boat back to some central repository where they can be collected when the player picks up the game again.

No one is asking for them to stay in game for eternity.

Greetings Commanders!

Thank you for testing the prototype Drake-Class Fleet Carriers brought to you by the Brewer Corporation. Since the beta's launch, we've been carefully reading and discussing your feedback and are ready to share the upcoming changes. We look forward to hearing more of what you think for the remainder of Beta 1 and in Beta 2 coming next month. All changes are subject to further balancing based on future feedback.

Here are the changes coming this week:
  • The upkeep cost for all additional services will be reduced by 80-90%.
  • Core running costs will be reduced by 50%
Fleet Carriers represent a big investment, with a lot of crew and resources involved. After hearing your concerns, we've reduced the upkeep to a more sustainable level. The total running costs for a Fleet Carrier with all services active will be reduced by a total of 85.5%.

• The debt threshold has been updated in line with the upkeep changes. This means with all services installed, a carrier can go 10 weeks (up from 4) without paying upkeep before being issued a final warning.
This is designed to relieve the pressure of carrier management, leaving more time for focus on other activities. While the debt threshold will be lower, Fleet Carrier owners will have more time to maintain the upkeep costs.

• The total upfront activation costs of some of the more expensive services will be reduced by 35-45%.
Along with the upkeep changes, this reduces the overall outfitting and maintenance costs of Fleet Carriers.

• The time between jumps will be dramatically decreased by only requiring 15 minutes for jump preparation and 5 minutes to cool-down.
More frequent jumps will increase the utility of Fleet Carriers overall, allowing them to enhance the owner and visitors' game-play more easily.

The two changes below will come in the second beta. Additional changes can be expected as more feedback comes in:
  • Universal Cartographics will become available as an optional service.
Similar to Bounty Vouchers, a cut of 25% which will be split 50/50 between the Fleet Carrier's bank and the service, will be taken from any data sold on the Fleet Carrier. This means owners will effectively only be charged a fee of 12.5% on their own Fleet Carrier. This service will otherwise be the same as Universal Cartographics services found on stations.

• Tritium will be made at least 2x more effective as a fuel.
In combination with a reduced preparation and cool-down time, this should improve long distance Fleet Carrier travel.

We're excited to hear what you think of these changes and seeing them in action for the remainder of Beta 1. Thank you for all of your valuable feedback which has helped shape these changes and will drive the rest of the changes made throughout the rest of the beta period. As mentioned above, this next beta will take place in May, and will be available to Xbox and PlayStation as well as PC players.

Thanks again, Commanders!

o7

Just a thought based off the hour video posted by the Developers. Fleet Carrier Commanders (FCC) were to be given access to 25k worth of storage? Now I noticed that once modules were installed it took a portion of storage on the top right of the carrier management window. But how does the FCC interact with moving materials from the carrier to her/his own ship? Where would that interface be found?

Additionally I think it would be an awesome feature if the squadron could store materials (such as if there was a large squadron mining operation) on board the carrier to make it more of a squadron based asset. Perhaps it could be an upgrade to the black market module, such as the tier 2 upgrade of that module?? So when the squadron is on a mining operation they can store materials on board the carrier or maybe the carrier has a refinery and can be parked in the belt of a planet? It would make the co-op of the game very interesting..

Also if the FCC was off line would it be possible for the FCC to give permission to another player to jump the carrier? such as a permission under roles for squadron or maybe an option under the friend menu for a select few to manage the navigation of the carrier when the owner is offline? That is if the owner gives permission.

I have a major question for FDEV:

If a player has a FC and he decides to play SOLO instead of OPEN will the FC be in both instances????
Or does the player have to be in OPEN for other players to use his/her FC? ( I was thinking about the DSSA initiative)

Will material traders and tech brokers be added to the things we can buy or are they already on there???

Please add this function if not...it would be awesome to be able to have all three mat traders and a tech broker onboard in one place

If a player has a FC and he decides to play SOLO instead of OPEN will the FC be in both instances????
Or does the player have to be in OPEN for other players to use his/her FC? ( I was thinking about the DSSA initiative)
Will material traders and tech brokers be added to the things we can buy or are they already on there???

Please add this function if not...it would be awesome to be able to have all three mat traders and a tech broker onboard in one place
FCs are in all modes of gameplay all the time.

no mat traders and brokers are not and i think would never be.

The carrier is accessible and visible through all platforms

Thanks for the update Stephen!

The large reduction of upkeep costs, plus the addition of universal cartographics are both great steps!

Also appreciate the reduction in jump time and more efficient fuel.

Still wish we could share the costs and management of a fleet carrier with our squadron :-(

Splitting 5 billion among a few friends would be very helpful - as it is now, I can't see myself grinding for another 4 billion.
Ive been saying this for over a year, that i wish they would better utilize the Squadron feature. Give the squadron an option to pick a home station and have a shared resource pool at said station so members can share modules. And with the fleet carriers coming,give memebrs the option to transfer credits to a shared squadron walletwhere the leader can designate who can and cannot spend squadron funds. Would be a much more efficient to disburse the costs for smaller groups who dont have people playing every day. My main group only plays once or twice a week and would like to take a carrier for deep exploration, which would be incredibly difficult to maintain the "carrier enconomy" since we play exclusively in a private group and would far from any populated areas. I seems that carriers were really made for large groups of daily players who play in Open Play

Greetings Commanders!

Thank you for testing the prototype Drake-Class Fleet Carriers brought to you by the Brewer Corporation. Since the beta's launch, we've been carefully reading and discussing your feedback and are ready to share the upcoming changes. We look forward to hearing more of what you think for the remainder of Beta 1 and in Beta 2 coming next month. All changes are subject to further balancing based on future feedback.

Here are the changes coming this week:
  • The upkeep cost for all additional services will be reduced by 80-90%.
  • Core running costs will be reduced by 50%
Fleet Carriers represent a big investment, with a lot of crew and resources involved. After hearing your concerns, we've reduced the upkeep to a more sustainable level. The total running costs for a Fleet Carrier with all services active will be reduced by a total of 85.5%.

• The debt threshold has been updated in line with the upkeep changes. This means with all services installed, a carrier can go 10 weeks (up from 4) without paying upkeep before being issued a final warning.
This is designed to relieve the pressure of carrier management, leaving more time for focus on other activities. While the debt threshold will be lower, Fleet Carrier owners will have more time to maintain the upkeep costs.

• The total upfront activation costs of some of the more expensive services will be reduced by 35-45%.
Along with the upkeep changes, this reduces the overall outfitting and maintenance costs of Fleet Carriers.

• The time between jumps will be dramatically decreased by only requiring 15 minutes for jump preparation and 5 minutes to cool-down.
More frequent jumps will increase the utility of Fleet Carriers overall, allowing them to enhance the owner and visitors' game-play more easily.

The two changes below will come in the second beta. Additional changes can be expected as more feedback comes in:
  • Universal Cartographics will become available as an optional service.
Similar to Bounty Vouchers, a cut of 25% which will be split 50/50 between the Fleet Carrier's bank and the service, will be taken from any data sold on the Fleet Carrier. This means owners will effectively only be charged a fee of 12.5% on their own Fleet Carrier. This service will otherwise be the same as Universal Cartographics services found on stations.

• Tritium will be made at least 2x more effective as a fuel.
In combination with a reduced preparation and cool-down time, this should improve long distance Fleet Carrier travel.

We're excited to hear what you think of these changes and seeing them in action for the remainder of Beta 1. Thank you for all of your valuable feedback which has helped shape these changes and will drive the rest of the changes made throughout the rest of the beta period. As mentioned above, this next beta will take place in May, and will be available to Xbox and PlayStation as well as PC players.

Thanks again, Commanders!

o7
Is there a plan to have AI use the markets? Is the plan to drive larger squads, as without 5k transactions/wk, a pure trader can't survive?

I'd be happy enough if NPCs are allowed to at least refuel/rearm/repair on our Fleet Carrier for a small passive income...

Remove upkeep, remove decommissioning, if the player is online and he pays attention to the fleet carriers they generate earnings, if the player does not connect for x weeks the fleet carriers are deactivated and made invisible on the server and then reactivated and visible when the player returns. Use the fleet carriers and the credits earned for human expansion and terraforming, creation of space bases, communities in the space systems discovered by the player. I think this is the spirit of Elite dangerous and the player will also have personal gratification. Less stick more carrot... p.s. space legs

Ive been saying this for over a year, that i wish they would better utilize the Squadron feature.

Give the squadron an option to pick a home station and have a shared resource pool at said station so members can share modules. And with the fleet carriers coming,give memebrs the option to transfer credits to a shared squadron wallet where the leader can designate who can and cannot spend squadron funds.

Would be a much more efficient to disburse the costs for smaller groups who dont have people playing every day. My main group only plays once or twice a week and would like to take a carrier for deep exploration, which would be incredibly difficult to maintain the "carrier enconomy" since we play exclusively in a private group and would far from any populated areas.

I seems that carriers were really made for large groups of daily players who play in Open Play
+1

I hear you and agree - my group plays once or twice a week for a couple of hours at a time, and we'd love to share the costs and responsibilities of a fleet carrier.

But right now we're sharing the cost of a Space Engineers private server instead - fun game.

Thanks for the update Stephen!

The large reduction of upkeep costs, plus the addition of universal cartographics are both great steps!

Also appreciate the reduction in jump time and more efficient fuel.

Still wish we could share the costs and management of a fleet carrier with our squadron :-(

Splitting 5 billion among a few friends would be very helpful - as it is now, I can't see myself grinding for another 4 billion.
I agree 100%. Allowing cost and maintenance to be shared by a squadron would expand the purpose and function of squadrons in-game. Great changes!

Thank you for these changes - they make exploration feasible with a fleet carrier as base. I shall return to my grinding to accumulate the required credits. ... again, Thank you.

Thank you for these changes - they make exploration feasible with a fleet carrier as base. I shall return to my grinding to accumulate the required credits. ... again, Thank you.
Funny how it's not meant to be affordable to buy the FC. I mean 5 Billion is too much! I quoted you because you said you're grinding credits and so am I but I'm just saying it's wrong
and I agree FCs needs a price reduction overall.

The Problem with the Carriers in Elite Dangerous
I apologize in advance as I am about to break many peoples’ dreams of fleet carriers in ED.
First and foremost with out some great changes to the game, fleet carriers are going to be impossible, and more importantly a massive, or even game breaking exploit. It will be impossible for me to explain how, so I will give a few examples instead.
1. Looking at a interstellar initiative. You have many players and groups who look at opposing an interstellar initiative for one of the superpowers in the game. So what would happen if said players decided to band together and flock to the system of the initiative and camped near the star (entrance point to the system) and wrecked all incoming traffic to the system, as well as have some ranging ships hitting the out laying regions in the system. Let me explain a little further; in order to win the interstellar initiative you either have to get all the materials requested to the station requesting them, or you have to stop the opposing team from getting them there. Keep in mind that there is no win or loose to most initiatives, but in many peoples minds there is. So the easiest way to win is to cause enough damage to the system and cause the system to shut down. What the fleet carriers does is provide, an indestructible base of operations, and an easy way to repair and resupply your, and your allies ships. As well as establish a domain of no reprisals (as long as the money holds out you can just return to to the carrier and pay off your fines and bounties).
2. Going to influence. There are groups of players who are trying to get certain factions up to superpower status, such as the truckers guild. All it does for them is create a shortcut to this goal, by allowing them to camp in system, destroy incoming traffic, and supply goods and services to the chosen faction building there influence in the system until they go to war and begin to take over. Then the players have a hard base to launch operations to support the faction, pretty much giving them an easy victory.
3. Even though I should not have to add this one I will. Even an idiot can see this one, if they were blind folded. Greifers in the game, as well as seal clubbers, would have a prime base of operations as they would be able to inflict as much damage as they wish, and camp in certain locations without any opposition, or fear of reprisal. I mean if you have an interstellar factor right on board, you don’t have to do much but camp and wait.

I am not one to set and criticize, and I do not like to say things like this without a solution, or at least a suggestion.

First you will have to revamp and correct the entire promotion system to Elite. I have always thought that the entire system has been lacking since I began playing in the first place. So I think you need to go to a merit system, where not only do you have to earn points to earn your promotion, but you can lose points as well. You go out and attack other players, you can begin to loose points, of course in this example there is some leeway in as to the number, as long as they are equal or higher rank than you, and rank and location plays a role in it as well (other wise there would be no PVP). Also there is the mining, where people keep mining only one thing (such as low temp diamonds) and ignoring the fact that there are other need ores in the rings they are at. So basically you take in a full load of LTD’s you get full merit for the load, however the second load you may only get have credit in merits, then quarter, then none, a few after that you can even begin to get demerits, as you are no longer contributing to the economy. Of course this also depends on the needs of the system or station you are working with, as there demand may be so high, that it is considered a critical resource.

As for the carriers themselves, they should have never been considered for anything but squadron owned, and issued by the Pilots Federation, using the merit system. As the the squadron gains members, they gain there merits as well, those merit are use to determine if, and when the carrier gains upgrades and modules. And as the the squadron gains members (say every 15 or so members) and merits they may be granted a second or more carriers. Keep in mind if players begin to loose merits so does the squadron, and for some infractions all players in the squadron can loose merits. For those I am talking about really bad things like greifing, seal clubbing, damaging systems intentionally, ect… not little things but real damaging things like violating the code of the Pilots Federation, and it’s founding premises.
I do realize that there are many who read that and are saying that’s not fair to have all the squadron pay for the actions of one member, but you were the ones who brought them into the squadron, and as such like any team you are as responsible as they are. Meaning that if they were to try to use the carrier as a full fledged weapon that I described in the beginning all of you would be punished, as you allowed it to happen.
In the merit system I would also suggest that the rate of demerits be four times what it is to gain them, and for there squad mates, they gain demerits at a rate of one quarter of the rate of the perpetrator. Do not try to be nice about it either, you are allowing a very dangerous weapon into the game, one (as stated before) has the potential to completely break the game. If the carrier is allowed to continue to be allowed to be personal, and without the ability to be controlled or regulated all you have done is create a method for players to wage all out war on not only other players, but the Elite Dangerous universe, and Frontiers themselves.

Thanks for listening
CDMR Emerald Hawk

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom