Fleet Carriers - Community Wishlist

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Well Gnosis introduces her jurisdiction to unpopulated systems as she visits, so it could work, in the same way as you can have different stations controlled by different factions, making several areas of influence inside a single system.

What about systems with max factions in it already? Or how is the % influence split upon arriving? Is every single faction losing a fraction of their INF to give some of it to the arriving carrier's faction? What if that faction then gathers enough INF to start a civil war, but then the carrier jumps away in the middle of the war - ergo it's faction is no longer present in the system?

Don't get me wrong, I do like the idea, but I'm quite sure it will be a headache from BGS backend perspective.

Anyway... this thread was intended as ideas gathering thread but unfortunately it's already been derailed into "Carriers for solo players thread" :(

What about systems with max factions in it already? Or how is the % influence split upon arriving? Is every single faction losing a fraction of their INF to give some of it to the arriving carrier's faction? What if that faction then gathers enough INF to start a civil war, but then the carrier jumps away in the middle of the war - ergo it's faction is no longer present in the system?

Don't get me wrong, I do like the idea, but I'm quite sure it will be a headache from BGS backend perspective.
Gnosis - and the old Aegis carriers - are attached to non-influence factions, so that wasn't a problem.

Sadler's Song and The Conduit are (so far) the only moving landable megaships attached to an influence-holding faction, and are carefully set up so that they only move between systems where that faction is already present (and can't be removed from for one reason or another) so the issue never arises.

I wouldn't expect squadron carriers to be influence carriers as well. Or ... they'd be tied only to systems the faction associated with the squadron was already in?

Gnosis - and the old Aegis carriers - are attached to non-influence factions, so that wasn't a problem.

Sadler's Song and The Conduit are (so far) the only moving landable megaships attached to an influence-holding faction, and are carefully set up so that they only move between systems where that faction is already present (and can't be removed from for one reason or another) so the issue never arises.

I wouldn't expect squadron carriers to be influence carriers as well. Or ... they'd be tied only to systems the faction associated with the squadron was already in?

Given that no player is or belongs to a faction, even if that player named a faction their self, this isn’t a problem either.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator

They do not need to be influence carriers themselves, but they could grant their players a certain +X% bonus to reputation and/or influence for their BGS activity with their affiliated minor faction in the carrier´s location jurisdiction.

Last edited:
I must have missed your main points but what you propose isn’t it in essence simply turning carriers into mobile nerfed space stations (just dock, repair and resupply) without any kind of meaningful impact in the game?

Having carriers as described in that post would be a huge benefit. Essentially a private bare bones station that one could use a) to post up outside of a conflict zone or RES; b) outside of a ring to restock limpets and maybe transfer from mining vessel to delivery vessel; c) park in an enemy system/1 system over to have a friendly "port" to stage an attack from.

I think that the trick will be to give players simple tools, and then allow them to use the tools creatively. this is what elite does well, and Fdev's weaker features usually come about when they get too far in the weeds (see PP and engineering). Simple but useful should be the motto with these

I would like to see fleet carriers having a counter to following possible powerplay use:

A power-play wing is doing undermining in a target system. When done the wing is going to dock at the carrier to jump back to a control system to hand in merits with maximum safety.​
To counter this, maybe fleet carriers owned by squadrons supporting a power could have the possibility to be robbed of theire "stored" merits, much like megaship piracy!

Last edited:
A power-play wing is doing undermining in a target system. When done the wing is going to dock at the carrier to jump back to a control system to hand in merits with maximum safety.
hi waking without carrier to a control system without carrier don't provide maximum safety? Any news that thargoids eat PP underminers on their way beck:)?

hi waking without carrier to a control system without carrier don't provide maximum safety? Any news that thargoids eat PP underminers on their way beck:)?

If sayed wing would decide to play open they could possibly get interdicted by opposing players. Supercruise to a dock in a nearby control system can be dangerous in a heated poweplay struggle. Whereas I imagin where I was thinking wrongly that a carrier could be piloted to drop right next to a station,what most probably wont be possible.

Oh dear... oh deary dear.

This thread is going to cause a lot of misplaced expectations i feel.

What we have here ladies and gentlemen is some Star Citizen level of dreamcrafting going on. I suggest people try to be realistic.

Don't spoil it!

I'm looking forward to flying my solo carrier to Beagle Point and then using its railguns to destroy all the explorer carriers that arrive there, then flying back with 100,000 tons of void opals that I mined in my spare time. That will earn me enough BGS influence to get my designated minor faction to have control of Shinrarta Dezhra.

Supercruise to a dock in a nearby control system can be dangerous in a heated poweplay struggle
We must get open only or open with benefits power play first to make it happen, as well as punishing for clogging along with changed block function and menu log timer, atmo landings and space legs are closer than this NOW:)
But i would love to see this happening.

I must have missed your main points but what you propose isn’t it in essence simply turning carriers into mobile nerfed space stations (just dock, repair and resupply) without any kind of meaningful impact in the game?

That's more or less what I'm expecting. Maybe a little bit more.

I think that wishlist on the OP is like sci-fi for frontier.

But on topic i have a wish that it can actually make it in December.
I would like when the carriers make a hyper jump, the sound should be made different from our ships. I mean the loading drive, enter/exit sound and the sound during the jump. Sound should be something that fits the size of a carrier, something majestic and powerfull. I am sure the sound department can come up with something like that.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
I think that wishlist on the OP is like sci-fi for frontier.

But on topic i have a wish that it can actually make it in December.
I would like when the carriers make a hyper jump, the sound should be made different from our ships. I mean the loading drive, enter/exit sound and the sound during the jump. Sound should be something that fits the size of a carrier, something majestic and powerfull. I am sure the sound department can come up with something like that.

Prolly something similar to:

Source: https://youtu.be/6esSwCQtzP8

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
when the carriers make a hyper jump, the sound should be made different from our ships. I mean the loading drive, enter/exit sound and the sound during the jump. Sound should be something that fits the size of a carrier, something majestic and powerfull. I am sure the sound department can come up with something like that.

Added :)

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Oh dear... oh deary dear.

This thread is going to cause a lot of misplaced expectations i feel.

What we have here ladies and gentlemen is some Star Citizen level of dreamcrafting going on. I suggest people try to be realistic.

Maybe. I guess the main difference with SC dreaming is that this thread openly acknowledges in its title it is all just player wishes so it is solidly grounded in the reality of zero dev info and that none of these may actually come to pass. As opposed to the usual SC personal interpretation of how the game will definitely be based on dev info or hype.

Last edited:
Maybe. I guess the main difference with SC dreaming is that this thread openly acknowledges in its title it is all just player wishes so it is solidly grounded in the reality of zero dev info and that none of these may actually come to pass. As opposed to the usual SC personal interpretation of how the game will definitely be based on dev info or hype.

The thread itself may state that, but you want to take bets that some people are really thinking they might get even a tenth of what people are proposing?

You know me, i'm a big fan of ED and FD, but we have to be realistic, and its better to be pleasantly surprised rather than dissapointed due to inflated expectations.

Is it right, we don't even know if we will be able to pilot the carrier in supercruise ourselves? If the fleet carrier will only be an asset randomly located somwhere in the system only able to do system-jumps, I'll consider it a major let down from my expectations. I really hope the owner of the carrier will be able to navigate it in supercruise from it's bridge.

But what I have read there is nothing substantial at all we know about how navigation of fleet carriers will work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom