ANNOUNCEMENT Fleet Carriers - Content Reveal Announcement

Lovely, news on FC's and 2 beta tests!
I don't have 5 billion, never had that much, ever! But I will have at some point...
The price seems reasonable to me, allow it to double for 'upgrades' - should keep me busy for a while :devilish:

Now looking forward to next week's livestream for the details.

Laughing my socks off at the usual grumbles, rage quit threats and discontent, and a big smile for the folk who use grey matter to do their cogitation 👍

Hey @Mengy,

I have seen a couple of people saying that they don't have enough money to purchase a Fleet Carrier and it's worth stating that these huge vessels are a designed to be a massive investment for players who have acquired a large amount of credits. Although purchasing one will allow the owner to customise and manage their Fleet Carrier how they wish, Fleet Carriers are also there to provide services to the wider community, allowing commanders to interact with and utilise in a number of ways.

Whenever we've introduced content to the game, the community has blown us away with what they've done with it, often using it in ways we never imagined they would. Fleet Carriers are going to provide lots of opportunities for owners but also those without Fleet Carriers and we can't see all the ways in which commanders are going to traverse the galaxy together!

For all the details on Fleet Carriers, tune into next week's Content Reveal Stream!

To be very honest, I was expecting FC would cost between 3 to 10 Billions. So... 5Bi is not that expensive ;)

I doubt the FCs will self-destruct when the maintenance requirements aren't met. They'll probably just become nonfunctional until the debt is paid.

The wording on the articles we refer to is "decommissioned and sold for parts". That's very different of "nonfunctional".

And actually I have to congratulate you. You managed to come up something that' even worse than what the articles describe. When the ship is being broken down and sold, it's simply gone. Somebody who was off for a while and returns might, if FD is lucky, not remember or care for it and just continue playing. Unlikely as that is. But if the player comes back and the game tells him "now you have to go out and grind 3 billions of credits till you are back to zero", that's an even more reliable way of making the player immediately log out gain, never to return.

Excellent! And a fair price too, 5 billion was widely anticipated (and that 500ly jumprange justifies it). I have 4bn, I'll go get the remaining 1bn soon.

...And, no, you don't have to mine if that's not your thing. I got 2.3bn from exploration when I returned from Beagle (after reaching rank 5 with LYR). And Robigo passenger missions are still good for around 80m/hr.

If there is a maintenance cost, I'm still hoping it will be a percentage of income. That seems fair, and the mechanism is already in place for NPC copilots.

Beagle point is 65,279 ly from Sol. Let's say minimum jump range is 34ly , and it takes 1 min per jump. That's about 64 in-game hours there and back. Multiplied by 2.5 to get you up to approx 5 billion is 160 hours.

So that's just shy of 1 full week in game , without breaks, and without stopping or factoring in the time it take to scan and supercruise.

I have no problem with the price being high if it is possible to earn that money simply by "blazing your own trail" and not being forced into endless repetitive grind loops. Seems I am in the minority though. (not directed at you btw)

As it goes, I have 13 weeks game time according tothe Codex, and I have just short of 5 billion in a combination of credits and assets.

Great to have some news and some information! :)

5bn though, gosh, I mean I think that's reasonable actually but I won't be affording one soon.. Cheaper in the beta? :) At least I can land at one!

The wording on the articles we refer to is "decommissioned and sold for parts". That's very different of "nonfunctional".

The quote from PC Gamer says "If owners consistently fall behind on their payments, the fleet carriers might, ultimately, be decommissioned and sold for parts." Sounds kind of speculative to begin with, and "sold" pretty strongly implies you get some cash back. I don't see much cause for concern yet, but you do you.

But if the player comes back and the game tells him "now you have to go out and grind 3 billions of credits till you are back to zero", that's an even more reliable way of making the player immediately log out gain, never to return.

And if it's 3 million instead of 3 billion, it won't be a big deal. Not sure why you're assuming maximum suck, here.

first of all, thanks for anticipated info regardless FCs))
Second, when will be forked(if not already) player DBs from live to beta 1?

Greetings Commanders,

We're thrilled to announce that the first look at the upcoming Fleet Carrier update will be coming to your screens on Thursday, 2 April! Lead Server Developer, Dav Stott, and Game Designer, Luke Betterton, will join us on a special video to talk us through what these vast vessels are and how they'll be shaking up the galaxy!

Since the initial reveal of Fleet Carriers, we've examined the concept of predefined load-outs and decided to invest additional time to ensure that fleet carriers offer the same level of flexibility and customization as other ships within Elite Dangerous. We've done this by adding more loadout options to make your carrier unique, and allow for player-to-player interaction like you've never seen before in Elite Dangerous!

Squirming in your cockpit chair wanting to know more details? Here is some key information on Fleet Carriers - but for the entire content reveal, tune in to our Pre-Recorded Stream on YouTube, on 2 April at 18:00 (UTC). Although we won't be live, our team will be there in the chat to answer any questions that you may have.

• One of your most frequent questions about Fleet Carriers was: How much do they cost? Fleet Carriers will be a lucrative investment, costing 5,000,000,000cr at launch.​
  • Fleet Carriers are individually owned and feature 16 landing pads (of varying sizes) for other players to dock at.​
  • Fleet Carriers use a new fuel, Tritium, to jump from system to system.​
  • Fleet Carriers have a max jump range of 500LY at one time, with the ability to jump whenever the owner wants, however, they will have a build up and cool down period between jumps.​
  • You can manage your carrier's finances by setting tariffs and adjusting the buying and selling prices for commodities traded in it's market.​
As it currently stands, we're aiming to launch the Fleet Carriers update in June and will be calling all commanders to experience Fleet Carriers (as both visitors and owners) in two upcoming public betas before the update is live! The first beta will begin on 7 April for PC only, and the second beta which will be launched on PC, Xbox and PlayStation, will take place in May. Please note that there is a chance that these time frames may change slightly in the coming weeks, but we'll keep you up to date on the specific times, dates and instructions.

See you there, Commanders.

Well this is something to look forward to!
Got my credits in the bank...

Waves galactic debit card wildly out the cockpit window

Top Bottom