ANNOUNCEMENT Fleet Carriers - Content Reveal Announcement

You can only make 100 milion cr per hour doing a single activity (mining). If you want to actually play the game and have fun with other activities you can forget it... And this because the game economy is a complete disaster!

Don't believe that contradicts anything I said, so we agree that a player can in fact make 100m an hour in the game today.

You might notice I was specifically responding to someone who suggested only players who had milked Robigo years ago could afford a carrier. At the time, you could also only make that kind of money by doing a single activity, so things are exactly as they always have been - you have an absurd moneymaker and then you have the rest of the game.

The only real difference is that Robigo got nerfed to the moon and back, as did long supercruise passenger rmissions and virtually every other form of income generation I can think of, yet you can make 100m an hour today from mining after FDEv's 'balancing pass' and with no indication that another is on the way.

Great news for those with the dosh. Really disappointed in a period with no content they went this way, but that is what it is. The strong get stronger and the weak got mugged further. Time to start looking at alternatives.

And if it's 3 million instead of 3 billion, it won't be a big deal. Not sure why you're assuming maximum suck, here.

Guess it's because I've seen such systems in work already. Be it for ships in a MUD or be it for houses in UO and SWG. In the last case, the house luckily was only packed up and stored away, so the player could place it again.

Yet in all of them, the mechanic of loosing stuff due to being offline for a while had a negative impact on the community. I've seen it happen several times that somebody returned, found out that the game took away his stuff for him being away for a while and immediately left again.

For UO and SWG I at least understood why they did it: housing space was limited. So they used the mechanic to clear up space occupied by old characters who were not played any more. But I don't see the same reason for ED. There's plenty of space in space. (Yea, the name kind of gives it away. ) And if somebody is offline for a week, just don't spawn the ship any more till he returns. No damage done.

People who have been playing for years and/or power gamers: 5bn isn't a big deal
People who are casual players or new: 5bn is massive

Both are valid tbh
And let's be honest here, when some of us started playing years ago the cost of an Anaconda seemed unthinkably huge. I remember thinking I would never be able to afford one and couldn't conceive of me playing the game long enough to earn that much.

Now players can earn enough mining in a single day to afford a Conda so it's about time there was something to aim for for the newer players.

So.... if i understand rigth the purchaiced carriers will be persistant in the universe? Even if you are offline? Even if you play solo?

No mention of Support Ships. Has the idea been abandoned? Since we've seen screenshots the assets already exist. Oh well, we'll know in a week.

I built up a Cr 10 billion Fleet Carrier Purchase Fund last year, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. I'm now wondering if Frontier have looked at players doing this and said to themselves, "All right then, now we know what the market will bear. Cr 5 billion for the base carrier and the same again for outfitting."

I can see the logic in scrapping the carriers of players who are no longer active in the game. But I hope they at least add a 'mothballing' option for players who know they're going to be out of the game for a while.

And let's be honest here, when some of us started playing years ago the cost of an Anaconda seemed unthinkably huge. I remember thinking I would never be able to afford one and couldn't conceive of me playing the game long enough to earn that much.

Now players can earn enough mining in a single day to afford a Conda so it's about time there was something to aim for for the newer players.

Back in my day I had to work for a week to get one rubbish laser upgraded.

Yells at distant tree

Hmm, yes. If what the article wrote, FD really is trying to win the most dimwitted game designer award. We don't know the details yet, but RL-time based maintenance cost are a surefire way to keep part of the community busy, while making absolutely sure that those who took a break won't ever return.

I've seen that happen in other games. A good example was a MUD I played in old times, which had running costs on ships. You could put provisions on the ships for about 6 weeks. So after every semester break people returned, found that their ships were gone. And don't even think of people who had accident and were in hospital for a while. One of my friends lost everything there after a skiing accident. The usual reaction was to migrate to another game.

So yay! We really have to congratulate FD for this "awesome idea". Whenever something has proven to be absolutely terrible for a games community, you can bet that FD will find a way to put it into their game. But hey, what should I say? It's their game they once again are intentionally hurting. :rolleyes:

Perhaps we are lucky and the article is completely wrong. But if what they write is right, then somebody at FD is working hard on cutting down the player base and making sure that people who take a break won't have any motivation to return.
Fair points.

I have not had personal experience asking FDEV to reinstate in-game assets, but I have heard multiple stories of CMDRs who contacted them with a reasonable request and reason, and had assets returned in game. I would like to think that if you were hospitalized and came back to find your carrier missing, they would help you out if you asked nicely.

After 2 years of playing at least 3 times a week, I've got 1.4 billion in the bank... and that includes several sessions of VO mining back, just to make money - I admit I never went at it in a dedicated "I-Think-I'll-Watch-Netflix-Whilst-I-Spend-3-Hours-Mining" sort of a way, but I still thought I'd made a nice little wad of cash.

I've no interest in interacting with other players, so I play in Solo.

With FCs costing about 4 times what I gained in 2 years of enjoyable gaming at a level I thought was reasonably realistic for some space traveller, I'm not going to be able to get one. Unless I suck it up and go and do whatever activity makes a load of cash for a few hours, which frankly, doesn't sound like fun. It was tedious enough hunting VOs, (though great fun actually blowing the rocks up).

I would have liked one to carry my little flying circus of ships around easily, rather than having them scattered about the bubble, but they're definitely not aimed at players like me. They seem more aimed at squadrons with multiple players who like the MMO aspect. Which I can understand, but I can't say I'm not really rather disappointed about it.

Oh well, back to enjoying myself in other ways :) For those who can, enjoy the Carriers; they look cool.
Just go to Beagle Point and back like 4-5 times, and you'll get 5 bl just for exploration :) I like that it's not that easy to buy those, even if I only have 1 bl at the moment. Going to dig some LTD to buy one.

Don't believe that contradicts anything I said, so we agree that a player can in fact make 100m an hour in the game today.

You might notice I was specifically responding to someone who suggested only players who had milked Robigo years ago could afford a carrier. At the time, you could also only make that kind of money by doing a single activity, so things are exactly as they always have been - you have an absurd moneymaker and then you have the rest of the game.

The only real difference is that Robigo got nerfed to the moon and back, as did long supercruise passenger rmissions and virtually every other form of income generation I can think of, yet you can make 100m an hour today from mining after FDEv's 'balancing pass' and with no indication that another is on the way.
I only see mining that good. Exploration and passengers missions (my main activities) are not that lucrative

Prices are ok. My CMDR is 11 mo old. was not online 3 mo out of 11 as well.
Made initial billion for ships flying around and looking visuals.
Then I made galaxy round which gave me another 3 bils (was checking for RAXXLA around :D ).
...and during last month mining 1-2 day(s)/week gave me 1.5bil.

So ye, plenty of money in game. Just pitty older content gets under priced.

I'm interested in what the details are for weekly upkeep.

I dont imagine the game taking away a 5 billion investment because you failed to login in a while... but perhaps all services shutdown and you lose the ability to move it etc until the debts are paid (obviously they would stop growing once it shut down)

5 billion is not a lot of credits in the current game economy. Credits are easy to get. 5 billion will be no problem - especially when that effort is spanned across a couple months.

edit: Also, i wonder the owner's power allegiance functions for the carrier when we are in uninhabited systems. Utopia needs some deep space systems. For the SimArchives ...yea... not for secret military shipyards ...nope.

Last edited:
Top Bottom