Fleet Carriers - content reveal announcement

5k million credits before any upgrades, weekly maintenance costs or it gets forcibly decommissioned, have to refuel it between jumps (thought the support ships would at least do that much) cool down between jumps.

Fut8PGw.gif

Cannon got the better end of the deal even if they do have to get FDEV to agree to a location and then move their ship

5k million credits before any upgrades, weekly maintenance costs or it gets forcibly decommissioned, have to refuel it between jumps (thought the support ships would at least do that much) cool down between jumps.

Fut8PGw.gif

Cannon got the better end of the deal even if they do have to get FDEV to agree to a location and then move their ship
Its a joke thats for sure, who in frontier came up with this idea that if you own a fleet carrier you must, refuel it, pay the upkeep or risk it being taken away. As for the tariffs on goods, what do i get off people selling goods at my fleet carrier, profit, because as far as im aware in order to make profit off a good you bought off another player is to infact sell it to another at a higher price than you bought it. That by definition is profit, buy low sell high.

We have no idea how it works yet but I do worry that Frontier's park management DNA will introduce an element of that. I really don't like management games; spinning plates isn't fun to me.
100% agree. I downloaded JWE when it was part of 'Games with Gold' and tried it for a while. It's OK but I too dislike the constant battle to turn a profit. The only good side to JWE in that respect is that it isn't real-time. If you walk away from the game for a week while your park is making a loss then when you go back it will be the same as when you left it. With ED, if your FC is losing you money and you don't play for a while you lose the FC. I sure hope the new era doesn't introduce more of this in e.g base building or I may give it a miss.

It's good to see some actual details, certainly. I'm really not sure I'd have any need for one. I've built a fleet to meet my needs.

The proposed costs and upkeep requirements, IMHO, are a shrewd move by FD to make sure the fleet carrier isn't as common-a-sight as the beluga being shot out of a station's mail slot.

Clearly intended for very active PG's, not just anyone with 5 bill CR to spare.

It will be interesting to see how they are put to good use.

So after the stream and the forum post I must say: meh!
I don't think weekly costs should be a thing in a real time game.
And the whole setup of it isn't what I thought or wished it would be.
It's just too much relying on player interaction.
I don't even think it should be called fleet carrier anymore...
It's "starport light" maybe?
I thought I could dock 16 of my ships or my friends ships on my carrier and stroll around the galaxy as I wish.
Because you know, fleet carrier.

Content reveal recap:

I think they add a lot for large, well-organised squadrons.
It's been pointed out that they're not that useful for lone casual players, but lone casual players tend not to have 5 billion spare to spend on a ship.
I won't be buying one for the foreseeable, but I'd happily tag along with one and mine fuel or whatever.

I cant see the point in them especially for players like me who stick to solo I like to mine or exploration so taking one into the black is not viable it takes an hour between jumps so to travel 3000 lys takes 6 hours . And even if I did what's the point as I need to sell my data or mined LTD or VO so who am I going to sell it too .if it acted like a space station and you could mine or explore the surrounding areas then travel back to the fleet carrier and sell your stuff fair enough but if you cant I certainly will not bother with it . i say this as i have been mapping what seem to be extremely lucrative systems between colonia and the bubble but if i can not sell my data or mined goods in the black there a waste of time .

I don't understand the omission of Universal Cartographics. If you take an exploration-focused carrier several thousand light years away what better way to pay for its upkeep than exploration data? Otherwise it's just a resource drain

So I can not sell my exploration data on the fleet carrier its actually not something implemented in the content if that's the case it pointless buying one . I was going to as an example park up my carrier in a virgin area and explore the surrounding areas for data or mining opportunities but if you can not do it especially in solo its worthless.

I would like to know if the fleet carriers will be available cross-play. We already know they will be available across game modes (open, private, solo) but I'm curious if Xbox commanders would be able to see and use fleet carriers created by a PC player, for example.

I would like to know if the fleet carriers will be available cross-play. We already know they will be available across game modes (open, private, solo) but I'm curious if Xbox commanders would be able to see and use fleet carriers created by a PC player, for example.
Dont see why we wouldn't, we see stations.

Top Bottom