Fleet Carriers for Solo Commanders Not Good

Sorry but the you folks have decided to implement it is wack.

As I commented previously in videos and threads about this, what's the point of adding this to the game for solo players?

It made sense for PowerPlay PVP when we requested it since we constantly fought for control of systems that sometimes didn't have any safe stations nearby. This is just going to separate the player base even more making the game feel more isolating/boring. Why bother going back to the bubble to cash in your discoveries/mining when you can just go to your fleet carrier a few systems away? Why bother protecting stations from Thargoids when you can just go to your fleet carrier a few systems away? Why bother helping your favorite systems to trade and bounty-hunt when you can just..you get the idea.

"Well, it's not cheap." Is the argument I heard people bring up. Elite Dangerous needs to stop this constant back and forth on making things grindy to slow down what the players love to do. I remember when it was announced the Thargoids would be coming, everyone spent weeks and hours buffing of up their weapons and ships. Then a few months later, we get the PVE weapons update making all those hours go to waste and requiring another grind. It happened with Passenger missions where there was a huge payout to go to Jacques station, then came the nerf hammer and made it less fun to go exploring. And don't even get me started on the Engineer and Crime and Punishment changes (one making it too easy and the other messing with powerplay).

It might be too late already, but please reconsider the idea of giving this to individual commanders to own (it's called a fleet carrier not mobile base).

It gives me a place to call home and ship my massive fleet around. These are both worthwhile things. It serves as a home base for my squadron. This is also good. My squad is mostly new and low...leve...er, income newer players who can't even dream of buying a carrier.

Its a way for us to all jump together to a site to farm for alien materials. Fleet carriers will not have full station services. We don't know everything they will have, they likely can store modules for outfitting but not sell them.

They seem like a good endgame supership/prestige item.

Also, for players who have hot ships, fleet carriers may provide some interesting legal oppertunities.

I mean, you might as well ask/argue what the point of an Anaconda is.

I think they CAN add a lot to the game, if they don't drive players away in disgust by requiring passive upkeep.

If you have a squadron, you're not really a solo player. Which was kinda the point of the OP.

My squadron can in no way contribute to my carrier as over half of them are still in sidewinders and vipers and all of them are casual players. I think squad ownership of the carriers created so many edgecase issues that they just decided to make them personal craft that can be shared, which makes a lot of sense: Honestly owning our own carriers as personal craft has been what a lot of people have wanted for some time. People are still pushing for things like personal plentary bases ala no mans sky.

It might be too late already, but please reconsider the idea of giving this to individual commanders to own (it's called a fleet carrier not mobile base).

Locking introverts, and solo players out of the most exciting game mechanic that's come about in years. No.
And even for social butterflies, with a full wing or more of regular friends in this game- You're saying that most of them shouldnt own one either. Because carriers are always owned by one person, whether they grant their friends rights to use it is beside the point. Everyone deserves a chance to control one.

What you're suggesting is a pyramid scheme. You need to have other commanders pledge below you to get your carrier, and if other commanders pledge below them they can break off and get their own.

And it wont work. Because I promise you that if you create a system requiring 20 member squadrons to purchase carriers, I will 100% create a player group called the "Carrier Pigeons" which is comprised of a bunch of alts that just temporarily pad squadron numbers so everyone can buy their own anyway.

As I commented previously in videos and threads about this, what's the point of adding this to the game for solo players?

It made sense for PowerPlay PVP when we requested it since we constantly fought for control of systems that sometimes didn't have any safe stations nearby. This is just going to separate the player base even more making the game feel more isolating/boring. Why bother going back to the bubble to cash in your discoveries/mining when you can just go to your fleet carrier a few systems away? Why bother protecting stations from Thargoids when you can just go to your fleet carrier a few systems away? Why bother helping your favorite systems to trade and bounty-hunt when you can just..you get the idea.

"Well, it's not cheap." Is the argument I heard people bring up. Elite Dangerous needs to stop this constant back and forth on making things grindy to slow down what the players love to do. I remember when it was announced the Thargoids would be coming, everyone spent weeks and hours buffing of up their weapons and ships. Then a few months later, we get the PVE weapons update making all those hours go to waste and requiring another grind. It happened with Passenger missions where there was a huge payout to go to Jacques station, then came the nerf hammer and made it less fun to go exploring. And don't even get me started on the Engineer and Crime and Punishment changes (one making it too easy and the other messing with powerplay).

You can't afford one can you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not being able to buy or upkeep it on your own doesn't mean you can't enjoy the features this new content will bring.

Though I too hope someday fdev will implement some meaty solo focused content, like the inflatable personal minibase they mentioned long ago.

Eh. I want a fleet carrier. I can haz fleet carrier. I'm going to get one as soon as it's available and see what it can do. I don't care about theoretical reasons why they should have been confined to squadrons.

Maybe there isn't one. Not every feature has to benefit every playstyle. Some only make sense in multiplayer.

That being said, we still have very little idea of what they are offering anyway. :)

Maybe there should be multiple FC's like a huge squad owned ship and a smaller cheaper FC for solo players. Fdev have had plenty of time to figure something out i'd hope with this update through multiple delays spanning years now. If its just an update for a niche group it will be a failure!

Last edited:

No

Top Bottom