Fleet Carriers grind fail

I haven't played Elite Dangerous in a while because, the lack of any real thing to look forward too. The only decent amount of money that could be made in the game came from CG events and that's if you could find what they where looking for, without having to Sun Jump 500+ times to get the stuff you need. I can Sun Jump 500 or more times blindfolded, but in 3000 Century you think they would have come up with some other form of travel than jumping straight in to the center of gravity, just hope its not a black whole. With almost 8 million in credits, and I want a fleet carrier I got a long ways to go, so here is what I attempted:
Trade Routes: Failed to make a reasonable amount of money to even reach the cap of a FC. Sure I can go buy low temperature diamonds and transport them to the higher market which is about 500 plus or minus jumps.
Tried a wing mission by myself because of the 6,000,000 credit reward, that failed miserably.

I haven't tried mining or exploring, but honestly my attempt to make this game more fun for me is backfiring.
So no that is no fleet carrier for me. The only ones that can afford one are the ones that been playing this game non stop for 10 plus years and longer, there are better games out there to waste your time with. Plus I don't like to just play 1 game all the time I rotate through all the games I play. Good luck players that want one but I probably won't ever see a player fleet carrier to check it out, or ever be in the game long enough to have one.

Yeah, don't bother trying to get a FC then, if your struggling to find ways to get to 5 Billion, then you won't like the additional FC upgrade costs or its weekly upkeep

Sorry you're having issues making credits, but it's about the easiest thing in the game right now. Trading isn't where the credits are any more. Especially since the markets now respond to massive local selling/buying actions. Unless you find a really good route, boosted by local conditions on both sides, trading won't get you to 5 billion any time soon. Bounty hunting never paid well, and massacre missions from the same faction no longer stack. If you can find multiple factions all wanting the same group killed, that still does stack and can pay, but it's variable and not there for long, and you need faction rep for the best missions.

Here are a few sure fire RELIABLE ways to make tons of credits, in excess of 20-30 million an hour.

Mining @ 100-200+ million an hour : Seriously.. youtube will show you how to get rich beyond your wildest dreams. Mining is stupid money. Not as stupid as it was a month or two ago.. But 100+ million an hour.. some claim up to 200 million an hour, and wings will add to even that. I made a cool billion profit in a week, and that includes paying for the mining ship... and I was doing it slow. A 200 million credit mining Python will pay for itself in a day or one trip. Pack it full of limpets before you head out. And you can start in a Cobra.. even a type 6/7 in a pinch. Seriously, Mining is stupid credits right now. But you HAVE to be in at least a double hotspot.

Robigo Runs @ 75-100 million an hour : Get yourself a big PAX ship, go to Robigo, pick up lots of site seeing missions to Sirius.. two hops, scan beacon, return, PROFIT, do it again. Round trip is about 10 minutes. 15-25 million a run, depending on ship, pilot, faction standing, and mission availability. Conservatively figure on 5 runs an hour, at 15 million a run, and you can make 75 million an hour.. 10-20 hours for a cool billion. Some CMDRs claim 6 trips an hour, and 20 million a trip, but I've never made that. I have never run out of missions before cabin space. Why they all want to gawk at a piece of space junk is beyond me.

PAX missions : Not the 20k LY ones... Site Seeing and transport missions is where the credits are. Get an Anaconda, boost jump range to the max ( and maybe a guardian FSD booster as well ), get max rep with the local factions.. Fill ship with cabins, fill cabins with paying customers, take customers on site seeing missions to look at satellites. With a 60 LY jump range you can cover a lot of ground fast, finish the missions quickly, and profit. Technically the same as Robigo runs, but can be done anywhere. Less profitable then Robigo because they all want to go to different places so it takes more time. Still, I can make 20-30 million an hour. Not Mining/Robigo credits, but I can make enough to buy a nicely outfitted Cutter in a weekend.

Become a slaver : Not going to tell you how, as I ( and my CMDR ) oppose this, but I hear money is still pretty good.

I've made 300 million today with delivery solo missions. God knows how intermediate players struggle to make 50 million in a week, unless they're still driving an A rated Cobra and no engineering.

And how do you fail at Wing Delivery? Can't beat NPC interdictions? That doesn't mean the mission is bad, it means you're bad.

I am using a dophin anyway, I can turn that into a mining ship? It ain't munch good for high level passenger missions. So its just a joke too me.

I am using a dophin anyway, I can turn that into a mining ship? It ain't munch good for high level passenger missions. So its just a joke too me.
Sell it and but a T6. Go to Borann 2A, like everyone else. Get 64 mil in about an hour for LTDs. Get a T7, do the same for 200 mil per trip until you have your 5 bil. It should take about a week of evenings, or if you're locked in, a few days.

I haven't played Elite Dangerous in a while because, the lack of any real thing to look forward too. The only decent amount of money that could be made in the game came from CG events and that's if you could find what they where looking for, without having to Sun Jump 500+ times to get the stuff you need. I can Sun Jump 500 or more times blindfolded, but in 3000 Century you think they would have come up with some other form of travel than jumping straight in to the center of gravity, just hope its not a black whole. With almost 8 million in credits, and I want a fleet carrier I got a long ways to go, so here is what I attempted:
Trade Routes: Failed to make a reasonable amount of money to even reach the cap of a FC. Sure I can go buy low temperature diamonds and transport them to the higher market which is about 500 plus or minus jumps.
Tried a wing mission by myself because of the 6,000,000 credit reward, that failed miserably.

I haven't tried mining or exploring, but honestly my attempt to make this game more fun for me is backfiring.
So no that is no fleet carrier for me. The only ones that can afford one are the ones that been playing this game non stop for 10 plus years and longer, there are better games out there to waste your time with. Plus I don't like to just play 1 game all the time I rotate through all the games I play. Good luck players that want one but I probably won't ever see a player fleet carrier to check it out, or ever be in the game long enough to have one.

You really have NO idea about this game at all, your facts are wrong, your gaming is wrong, your post is just Wrong.
Give the game up, and stop posting silly posts, but hey ho your post cheered me up this evening ;-)

The one thing I would say about mining is that while Technically you can make 100mil / hour, in reality its less. It might take an hour to mine the LTDs, but it took me another hour to find a place to sell them at a decent price. All while leaving a trail of pirate wreckage in my wake (no complaints).

Yesterday I made 4 million from bounty hunting and had fun without caring about raising money for a fleet carrier. Credits will appear eventually and when it comes to the business of why I bought this game in the first place, a fleet carrier won't make any difference to flying around in a space ship shooting stuff.

Nothing wrong with wanting one, but if all you have is 8 million, there's a lot of the game you have yet to play before buying your own station.

Technically, you CAN convert it. However, I would recommend investing in a different ship with more cargo space. Not really sure what your budget is.

For a dolphin, here's a quick build I whipped up: https://s.orbis.zone/6juh (no engineering, no shields, has fuel scoop).
Note: A-grade prospector is a must if you want to maximize the number of rocks coming off the asteroids. There are lots of recent guides on YouTube about mining. If you are really interested in building your way up in this way, I'd recommend checking those out so you have the knowledge to do what everyone here is talking about.

Alternatives:
As for passenger missions with your dolphin:
Robigo <--> Cetos is a good run, but it's kind of far out if you don't have the right builds. Again, plenty of guides on that also.

Exploration can net you avg ~10-15m/hr if done right, and that takes a whopping investment of a sidewinder and a detailed surface scanner (250k).
If this is your thing, look for guides on the "Road to Riches".

The one thing I would say about mining is that while Technically you can make 100mil / hour, in reality its less. It might take an hour to mine the LTDs, but it took me another hour to find a place to sell them at a decent price. All while leaving a trail of pirate wreckage in my wake (no complaints).
You're not doing it right. I consistently make around 150 mil per hour. Use the tool to find where to sell them:

Don't bother exploring. At over 765,000ly I know that's the worse way for credits. My last week and a half long outing out in the outer arm, to Formadine only netted just a hair under 600 million. That's with mapping most all valuable bodies. You can do that in three hours of Borann mining.

If you don't wish to mine you can only do the Robigo passenger run in a Python. Beyond that there are no other worthwhile jobs. The game caters to one specific passenger run and a single big mineable commodity at a time. In a few months it will be a passenger run somewhere else, just as Robigo and Quince...and who knows what the next mining boom will be. BH'ing and exploring are done purely for the fun. Not for credits.

Last edited:

Get a Python. Use to Dolphin for exploring. It's surprisingly good at that.
Unfortunately, nothing beats the Python at passengers. Not even the Orca. There's simply no reason for those two ships and it's tragic, since they have dedicated roles.

Top Bottom