Fleet Carriers to be indestructible

Dunno. They've said that you can plot the course using the existing galmap, so had envisaged being able to park around / near an existing discoverable object (like a station or a astronomical body such as a star or planet). Whether that will generate a POI is anyone's guess.
I think they'll be the same as capital ships and show up as a p o i

I'm quite sure that you will not be able to even see them if you're not on the list of folks with landing privileges.

Gonna be interesting to see if you can follow player wakes to the carrier instances.

I wonder if an indestructable mobile base that you can park just anywhere is really what the game needed. Starting to make a mockery of the galaxy simulation. The only way they can save this really is to make that jump grind significant.

Times like this that i remember those people who went to beagle in some 40ly bucket.

I wonder if an indestructable mobile base that you can park just anywhere is really what the game needed. Starting to make a mockery of the galaxy simulation. The only way they can save this really is to make that jump grind significant.

Times like this that i remember those people who went to beagle in some 40ly bucket.

Absolutely, people having fun is the death of this game. I dont agree about your only way to save the game though: adding more timers and endless pointless grind are also perfect ways to save this game from being an entertaining game to people. :)

Btw, LOL at your '40LY bucket'. True Scotsmen know why.

Last edited:
Absolutely, people having fun is the death of this game. I dont agree about your only way to save the game though: adding more timers and endless pointless grind are also perfect ways to save this game from being an entertaining game to people. :)

There is a youtube somewhere with braben and others talking about the size of the galaxy "oh you are so small its all so big" The making of elite dangerous i think its called. They advertised heavily about the galaxy similation, made that a selling point. Got to assume the people who bought into this at the time thought that was fun.

Obsidian Ant and others have observed they will likely be persistent because other players can dock at them. Since they are not pilotable and will be stationary, this makes sense. Otherwise...you log off and then what? People already logged off on your carrier just 'disappear' and 'reappear' in normal space?

As for destructible...meh, I get why it is a request but I don't think these personal carriers are the right way to go about that. More importantly, I don't think that's Frontier's style to be honest. If you want ruthless gameplay (nothing wrong with it, by the by) I'm not sure Elite is the right game for it. EVE Online is great for that and built from the ground up to support it.

It also has less than a hundred thousand subscribers. 'Hardcore realism' just doesn't sell very well.
Gee, I wonder why.

Are the chickens coming home to roost?

Will carriers need to use the FSS to explore or can you just jump into a system and get a carrrier scan that reveals the system map? I mean the thing cant move can it?

Asking for a friend.

Just call the fuel rats when you need your carrier topping up with juice lol

That's going to be an interesting Dynamic to balance.

For a stranded Carrier to always be salvageable, the 16 ships aboard a rescue Carrier would need to be able to carry enough fuel so that the rescue ship, itself, can be refuelled after a 500Ly jump to a stranded ship and enough fuel to re-fill a stranded Carrier so it can make a 500Ly jump as well.

We can probably narrow down the Grindium fuel possibilities.
  • Manufactured commodities - unlikely, too limiting for exploration.
  • Mined commodities - plausible but might be too role limited.
  • Raw Materials - FD does love the grind - this seems quite likely.
  • Fuel - new use for Scoops (gas giants?).
  • New class of item - Radioactives? - bonus grind with ship damage like corrosives.

I'm not a fan of indestructible. But they should at least be damageable by hostile squadrons.

If they're persistent on top of being available for solo ownership they would need to be indestructible. Imagine players attacking an asset in an instance you can't access by mechanics or sheer luck given the P2P structure of the game.

If these new Carriers are indestructible then I hope they have no offensive capabilities. The last thing this game needs is a massive ship some idiot can park and shoot everything that comes near with the knowledge that he/she/it can't be touched.

Top Bottom