Flight Simulator 2020 and Microsoft's attitude

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Reason why I don't install Windows 10 version updates as soon as they are out....

Doh!! I had recently changed my wifi SSID in order to get an IOT device to work, and I forgot that this would reset my "Metered Connection" setting. No wonder my computer keeps updating itself!

Thanks for bringing this to mind. I've just made the change, so now Windows should be at least a little more "calm" on my laptop again.

Only last year (3.3) we had a 5 week staged beta. And this resulted in 3.3 being released with ... 5 patches. because betas aren't good for all classes of bug, and many people just rush off to try new stuff and don't bother report issues 'because they don't get paid to do that'. But hey, don't let reality get in the way of demands for more betas.

I agree that betas aren't a miracle solution to end all QA concerns once and for all. But (I assume you expected a 'but') I think the bigger problem with Elite's betas wasn't that players were just treating it as a first look and didn't test. There were tons of bug reports, but there just wasn't enough time to fix them before release.

If you want to compare Microsoft's pre-release PR to Frontier, compare it to pre-release Frontier.
It's easy to be all pro-consumer and talkative when you are introducing a product that's not in the public hands.
cough NMS cough

It means nothing.
Frontier screwed up many things over the years, but they always honestly tried and I'm sorry but I'm not going to accept your premise that Microsoft is somehow better company when comes to handling criticism and listening to their community. That's just ridiculous.

I disagree on that, as in case of M$ this is a highly niche product, while for Frontier ED was an all-in project, matter of life and death.
I for one was fully supportive of FDev's efforts (even with the hits&misses) when Michael Brookes led the project, my enthusiasm was curbed when the man with the hat took over - and now ED looks like a house with the lights on, but nobody inside.

Does anyone have pricing information?

Valid question, I don't want to register the M$ Live/X-Box whatever network and either pay an extortionate amount or monthly tax... :)

I'm one of the alpha testers for this, so can't actually say anything about development, but their attitude is commendable by involving their core base of players. I couldn't agree more that if a company has good relations with its player base, wonderful things can happen. I also play Guild Wars 2, plenty of regular new content with regular weekly updates. Sure not everything is rosy there either, but the devs listen and patch regularly. You can't ask for more than that.
I didn't find out about the new version of MS Flight Sim until after the date to sign up as an Alpha tester. Hoping I get chosen to do the beta.

Frontier screwed up many things over the years, but they always honestly tried and I'm sorry but I'm not going to accept your premise that Microsoft is somehow better company when comes to handling criticism and listening to their community. That's just ridiculous.

Honestly tried? Really? Trying maybe, that's about it. The only people FD listen to are themselves based on the last few updates and that includes April. Not exactly involving the community in any way, they listen and then ignore. That's been their way of thinking for some time. Bear in mind we're talking different products here. MS will easily outsell ED once the game goes live, hence they will try to get it right as much as possible. And your comment about MS is laughable, they are already a much bigger company than FD ever will ever be. I agree they are not perfect, always room for improvement

Really? This thread is still going on? Theres already a thread for MSFS, i hate to follow multiple threads from same topic.. :rolleyes:

And your comment about MS is laughable, they are already a much bigger company than FD ever will ever be
I thought your argument was how to make a better game, not how to squeeze more money from people.
If that's your measure, then yes, Fdev have a lot to learn. Not sure I want to be here to see it happen, though.

As for the listen and ignore, I'm not gonna comment on that. You are obviously seeing red and are past the point of admitting you're wrong.

What I've seen so far is awesome, and yes, I can see myself taking a small plane and doing an 'exploration' trip like I did in Elite, zig-zagging the world... I hope they will implement some kind of gameplay-framework to support this.
Game Play:
Purchase it, download it, install it, don't bother with tutorials, start, fly past your house, noticed the significant other boy/girl/other friend is there while your gone. Pause game, listen intently to various noises, check bedroom, see what you see, quietly close door, un-pause game, go somewhere else.

I agree that betas aren't a miracle solution to end all QA concerns once and for all. But (I assume you expected a 'but') I think the bigger problem with Elite's betas wasn't that players were just treating it as a first look and didn't test. There were tons of bug reports, but there just wasn't enough time to fix them before release.
This.

I for one was fully supportive of FDev's efforts (even with the hits&misses) when Michael Brookes led the project, my enthusiasm was curbed when the man with the hat took over - and now ED looks like a house with the lights on, but nobody inside.
"Man with the hat took over" - who?

When Michael Brookes (Exec Producer) moved onto Jurassic World Evolution, Laurence Oldham was promoted from Head Of Design of Elite Dangerous to its Game Director. Soon after, Adam Woods was promoted from Producer to Exec Producer of Elite Dangerous too.

The difference is MS will release a finished product, with possibly a service pack further down the line.
Fdev never been close to this approach since launch, albiet different types of game.

Looking forward to multi core performance in the new title when it launches.

Can't speak for anyone else but when they didn't fix or even respond to big bugs (like the BGS influence being completely out of whack waaay back when that I reported) I decided it wasn't worth putting an effort in any more.

"Man with the hat took over" - who?

When Michael Brookes (Exec Producer) moved onto Jurassic World Evolution, Laurence Oldham was promoted from Head Of Design of Elite Dangerous to its Game Director. Soon after, Adam Woods was promoted from Producer to Exec Producer of Elite Dangerous too.

Ooops, I mixed up the job titles. I meant Sandro... just recognizing the memorable leads. :)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom