Focused Feedback - Fleet Carrier Visitors

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Stephen Benedetti

Community Manager
Frontier
As mentioned in Testing Guidelines, use this thread to share your feedback on the following topic. Please report any encountered bugs/issues in the Issue Tracker (live tomorrow).

Fleet Carrier Visitors
As we said above, Commanders who visit and use Fleet Carriers are just as important as the owners, we need you to test the services and make sure Fleet Carriers work for everyone in the galaxy.

Below is a list of just some of the things that we would like you to do whilst experiencing these vast vessels:

• Visit a Fleet Carrier
    • Did you have trouble finding and docking at a Fleet Carrier?
    • Was it clear that the Fleet Carrier you found was owned by another player?
  • Trade both clean and stolen goods (if the owner has a Fence available).
  • Purchasing Ships and Modules (If the owner has these services available).
  • Donate Tritium
    • We would also like for Commanders to go out and mine for Tritium
    • They can also purchase them at stations.
  • Hop on and fly somewhere with the Fleet Carrier.
  • Store your modules and ships aboard a friendly Fleet Carrier either directly or by transfer.
    • Make sure that these are things you can live without, or make sure you trust the owner!

For additional information, please check the following:

Last edited:
The game failed to communicate with authentication server. Please check your internet connection and try again in a few minutes.
The game failed to communicate with authentication server. Please check your internet connection and try again in a few minutes.

My attempts to play the beta.

Doesn't look like you've waited a few minutes. ;)

What I really want to give as feedback is as simple as this:

Please keep in mind that if something like this means Elite becomes more of a job than something to be fun, its not going to be worth it

I understand the need to make these expensive so that we dont have a billion of them in the bubble, but I think they are too expensive to buy and maintain, and upgrade.

We play Elite because we love the game and because you can do alot without grinding like in EVE Online, so it would be nice for this ultimate end game thing to actually be available to people who have worked a good deal already, coming from someone who just hit 1 billion credits from exploration data :p

• Visit a Fleet Carrier
  • Donate Tritium
    • We would also like for Commanders to go out and mine for Tritium
    • They can also purchase them at stations.
  • Store your modules and ships aboard a friendly Fleet Carrier either directly or by transfer.
    • Make sure that these are things you can live without, or make sure you trust the owner!
everything listed above worked fine, though I have grave reservations about ever using a Carrier over a Starport for my regular gameplay.

Carrier ships & modules are either the same price, or more expensive than a normal starport. No reason to seek a carrier out for this purpose.
I think I might look for carriers I can sell Tritium to at above market cost, but can see no other commodities a player might try and collect.

Being transported via the Fleet Carrier was really cool. I enjoyed that :)

Stephen Benedetti

Community Manager
Frontier

Hey @Destiny42,

We have posted a possible fix for this issue here!

• Visit a Fleet Carrier
      • The first time I looked at it the map had a "Carrier" filter, used that to find one system - however, later I didn't manage to find that filter again, so... huh. When I did arrive in-system, the first carrier didn't actually let me dock. Alright, find the next one, read this time, "Dock for all" - lovely. Docking worked fine, not having to turn around on landing/launch is beautiful. It would be nice if the galaxy map explicitly stated whether or not you can dock there, jumping a good chunk for a lone carrier, only for it to not let you in when you're there sounds painful.
      • The 32% Tariff certainly made it clear.
    • Assuming I understood the screen right, the carrier was offering to buy LTDs for about 50k per ton. No thank you.
    • As a mechanic, it worked fine, though the selection was limited, and the tariff makes it questionable. I'm not sure why I would go out of my way to buy anything at a carrier when I could just hop to Jameson.
    • Yeah, about that. Like 30 minutes of sitting on the outside of the carrier to experience the jump, it turns out you're locked in the hold and can't look out in any capacity. So much for the nice animation. Also, the status bar in the HUD seemed to be stuck on "00:27 Preparing to jump" on the second node, throughout all of the jump, right till the landing pad opened back up.

Thoughts: They're clunky, so far I couldn't find a reason why I would actually go to another player's carrier other than for the jump taxi, which is made unfeasible by the unbelievably long jump timer. The lack of Universal Cartographics to sell my exploration data, even if I do find a carrier, is a hilarious slap in the face. Especially since Codex Discoveries can be sold. And while I as a visitor don't have to pay it, the carrier I was at was staring down at 44.8 million weekly upkeep. That's.. not reasonable. The only use I see for them as they are currently implemented is as an expanded inventory, and that's just kinda sad.

If you're in the Bubble (and can wait a few hours until I can go online), I'll gladly relieve you of that burden.

Or, more likely, die trying.
Cheers! Although I figured out what the issue is, its because I'm wanted (I'm testing out C + P)- if a commander is wanted by the local faction it locks you out of everything (i.e. carriers become extensions of the faction and are not neutral).

Happily found and docked with a carrier, repaired my paintwork (hmm) and am awaiting the jump to Boreas. Appeared to be faultless to me.

Novelty fun at the moment, not sure whether it will last into the game, but the implementation looks good.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom