Focused Feedback - Inventory and Favourite Features

Bruce G

Community Manager
Frontier
Greetings Commanders,

We’re well into Phase 2 and have already collected reams of valuable feedback and suggestions. Thank you for letting us know what you think!

The purpose of this post is to ask for focused feedback on two specific topics:

What are your thoughts and suggestions on the current inventory system? Things to consider:

• Player inventory (suit)
  • Ship inventory
  • Consumables
  • Engineering materials
  • Transferring items

Secondly, what are you enjoying about the alpha so far? Which parts best contribute to the positive experiences?

We look forward to hearing what you think! If you have more feedback generally that don’t concern these points, please post them in our general Phase 2 Feedback thread!

O7

Last edited:
Really enjoying the Alpha so far.

• Inventory system is a bit confusing to me. Didn't realise the difference between personal and ship inventory, didn't realise where stuff was going.
  • Limits are a little confusing, on-foot I can see I can pick up 2/3 items, but in-store I can buy more.
  • There's obviously a bug where we hand in mission items and still retain them afterwards.
  • There's confusion too about whether stolen items can be used in upgrading suits/weapons.
  • (UI issue) Using the item wheel to consume consumables via mouse is near impossible, hotkeys would be nice too.

Also, on a balance issue: currently crime is the only realistic way to accumulate items for upgrades, stealing everywhere. It'd be nice if there was at least some legal missions that offered decent engineering item rewards; e.g. "Save our industrial facility from raiders, and you can take your pick from our locker".

I think I would definitely like a way to quickly look at my suit inventory. If there was a keybind to pop open an inventory view, that would be ideal. The ship inventory never bothered me, but on foot it's confusing for the new player and old players alike, and it doesn't feel like I can adequately see what I'm carrying.

EDIT: Also keybinds/hotkeys for consumables would be really, really nice.

Last edited:
Let me keybind consumables so I don't have to access the inventory in the middle of a shootout. (think chaff, heatsink, scbs)

Let me call a taxi to the surface without having to go into the map and select a destination (admittedly less important now that I can have my own ship around).

Let me see more clearly what is on my suit vs what is in the ship and let me see them both whenever I look at any inventory. I can see what ships and modules are stored around the galaxy. I should be able to see what's on my ship while away on foot.

What are your thoughts and suggestions on the current inventory system? Things to consider:
The on-foot inventory is nice and seamless, though it would be nice if we were able to use the mouse in this interface. Before I learnt about the item wheel, it was a real struggle to apply energy cells and med kits in a hurry, but generally discarding specific items can be a pain too.
  • Ship inventory
No complaints here, other than it'd be nice if it was more clear as to what was in your inventory currently and what was in ship storage.
  • Consumables
I'd say suits carry a fairly balanced number of consumables, so no complaints here. In terms of grenades, it would be nice if it was more clear what grenade you had switched to, as it's impossible to know what grenade is selected if you don't have a weapon equipped + the icon when you have your weapon equipped is a little too small and not very obvious as well.
  • Engineering materials
Some materials like Manufacturing Instructions should not be as rare, and either stolen items shouldn't impact engineering at all, or should be marked in the upgrade UI as appropriate, so you're not wondering why you can't upgrade your weapon.
  • Transferring items
No complaints here, it's pretty clear, but alas refer to the Ship inventory point, would be nice to have more clarity as to what is on your person without going into the Transfer menu.

Secondly, what are you enjoying about the alpha so far? Which parts best contribute to the positive experiences?
Thoroughly enjoying the Alpha in its entirety, POIs are especially fun so it would be nice to see more wrecks and salvage POIs giving players a way to legally obtain stuff like Power Regulators and materials. Currently, Power Regulators are a bit rare to salvage as well, this might want to be tuned slightly. It is also very fun when scavengers attack you while you're busy at a salvage POI, another reason why I'd like to see more varied POIs, and it'd be nice if SRVs and Condors with their associated space cowboys were less repetitive :D

Apex Interstellar is a good addition to on-foot and makes it a nice, immediate alternative to get back to a starport if you lose your ship or SRV. It is a shame that we cannot land SLFs in a similar manner to ships, and use them as small dropcraft.

Despite Phase 2 being combat-focused, I've not played with Frontline Solutions too much currently, and have rather been enjoying the exploration, sights, POIs and settlement missions way more. Frontline is very cool, but currently not optimised very well on some machines. More varied Dropships would be nice, depending on the faction's allegiance. Anarchist settlements are good fun to attack and I can't wait to see entire anarchist systems where groups of players can perform multiple raids on various settlements.

All-in-all, everything in the Alpha is tying together nicely, but illegal actions and crime may want to see further adjustment. It is a shame that Energylink Overcharge takedowns count as murder. Without non-lethal weapons, it makes sneaky, lawful types unable to perform illegal stealth missions cleanly without bounties if they need to covertly 'move' someone out the way. You should only get a bounty if someone sees you doing it! That's all the feedback from me, am liking the new UI changes too, but as have been mentioned in many other threads, they need some adjustment to be more efficient than the current UIs.

o7

• Improve the item wheel.
  • Allow us to change suits at the steps of a taxi.
  • Clear up the distinction between mission rewards/stolen goods/salvaged loot or get rid of it altogether please.
  • A portion of ammo should be recoverable from a downed NPC
  • Provide a data trader if drop rates for upgrade materials is to remain low.
  • Animations for using consumables would be nice.
  • Being able to equip the grenades in hand and throw them with the primary fire button.
  • Targeting reticule and blast marker for grenades please.
  • Simplify on foot backpack access. Graphic driven, not text spreadsheet. Show the items inside and allow better controls of them.
  • Offer a better variety of material rewards for missions to mitigate RNG.
  • Allow certain items to have more than one purpose, or be combined to have different effects.

The Alpha is a lot of fun ... the inventories ... not so much :)

• I still haven't quite grasped which items I should be selling and which I should be trading at the barkeep - it's very vague and I can't keep track of what I am interested in getting more of. I could well be selling things I am going to need for future engineering.
  • There seems to be global storage limits - like we used to have for materials - and everyone disliked them as you ended up shuffling things around. I can see that happening again.
  • Having 4 categories of items in your backpack and needing to 'Transfer All' on 3 of them if you want to clear out your loot (but not consumables) is a bit weird
  • Even on the Maverick the storage limits seem pretty low.

Engineering Materials: Either raise the chance of engineer items, reduce the requirements of them for upgrades, or (gasp!) give a method of purchasing engineer items. If I wanted to upgrade my suit/weapon, it shouldn't take me HOURS to collect enough material to do an upgrade. I get MAYBE a few hours a week to play which, at the moment, would mean it would take me about a month to upgrade my suits.

• Player inventory (suit): Is fine, but the controller binds need to be looked into. I change the bind to anything other than default, and I can suddenly not access my inventory without going to the access menu.
  • Ship inventory: Is fine, but more clarification on when my suit inventory transfers to my ship. It may not be a problem now, but at the beginning my suits inventory would automatically transfer to the apex ship with no warning.
  • Consumables: Makes sense. Keep a stock of 100 medpacks (for example) while only being able to carry 3, means you don't have to go to pioneer that often.
  • Transferring items: makes sense. see comment on ship inventory.
What I enjoy is that I have a new perspective. Suit batteries should last longer (by at least a few minutes(battery technology should be better 3307)), and I should be able to bind keys to the suit to reflect my bindings in my ship and SRV (i.e. the camera). Otherwise, I think a lot of the changes to the UI are a step forward. The galaxy map update is very clunky now, and I cannot choose (from a list) the settlements on a body. the settlement list only shows ALL settlements in system which is a painful experience for getting things done. And the icons on the plentary bodies need to be re-colored or something, because as it stands, if a planetary settlement/POI is on the day-side of the map (which doesn't reflect true day/nigh cycle), I can't see the settlement icon or it's label.

Generally I am ok with it, but it's hard to work out, what I am carrying on me, and where that is. Also PLEASE give me a keybind (I?) to open it as wall as by the Wheel thing

• Ship inventory
Same as player inventory, what is inventory, what is cargo, what is materials, what's in my backpack????

• Consumables
Dear lord PLEASE give me buttons to heal myself and recharge my battery!!!!

• Engineering materials
Same as above, but please let us carry more of them

• Transferring items
I can do that? how where?

• I've been loving the Frontline Solutions, but why the heck do we go there in a Vulture and NOT A DROP SHIP? I mean it's literally in the name (also give the Alliance and Imps some kinda drop ship too). I appreciate how one can literally stumble into a combat zone too, this makes for great gameplay, especially when all the bugs are worked out
  • Visiting the new sites on foot is brilliant, however PLEASE * 10000 update the horizons models to have on foot support, even if we can't go into the buildings, give us power points etc :)
  • I love that we can get out of our SRVs, even though it's a fade to black, I appreciate that we can get back into our SRVs by just going to the side and pressing "F" instead of a BLUE TELEPORTER BEAM! Seriously please... GET RID OF THAT
  • It's lovely seeing inside of the social spaces, but we need more variety, they all feel like we're visiting Luton Airport in the early 2000s. PS please let the bar serve me drinks
  • We need emotes and other 'social' things... Sure you may not want everyone jumping everywhere, but my lord we now have ppl squatting to "say hi"... give us Salutes, waves, pointing and so on
  • Don't get me started about the lack of gravity on Outposts....
  • I mostly appreciate the menus even though they don't fully work and in some places feel complex / unintuitive to use

Odyssey has so much potential and what we have has great potential, but there are are few design decisions that still need polishing

o7 Eid LeWeise

Bruce G

Community Manager
Frontier
  • Improve the item wheel.
  • Allow us to change suits at the steps of a taxi.
  • Clear up the distinction between mission rewards/stolen goods/salvaged loot or get rid of it altogether please.
  • A portion of ammo should be recoverable from a downed NPC
  • Provide a data trader if drop rates for upgrade materials is to remain low.
  • Animations for using consumables would be nice.
  • Being able to equip the grenades in hand and throw them with the primary fire button.
  • Targeting reticule and blast marker for grenades please.
  • Simplify on foot backpack access. Graphic driven, not text spreadsheet. Show the items inside and allow better controls of them.
  • Offer a better variety of material rewards for missions to mitigate RNG.
  • Allow certain items to have more than one purpose, or be combined to have different effects.
What does "improve the item wheel" mean?

Player inventory (suit):
  • Capacity is ok
  • Hotkeys for medpack/power pack. Using standard keybinds, if I use a medpack/powerpack while moving will stop my movement. There are hotkeys for all other functions on the itemwheel.
  • Mouse input on itemwheel is "useless". My setup could be wrong, I have tried and given up.
  • Perhaps a move all item button?

Ship inventory:
  • Limits on amounts might need an increase, depends on further engineering. So far trading in all useless for high value mats, keeps my stock low.

Consumables:
  • 100 of each seems reasonable

Engineering materials:
  • Amounts seems fair, a grade 5 should be expensive.
  • Drop rate however for certain materials is way to low, needs tweaking.
  • Make them reward for missions(maybe only if allied or dangerous missions)

Transfering items:
  • Keep functions the same direction in all modes? Get/give perspective.
  • Ship inventory accessible on foot in station? Without going to the trader/Pioneer shop.
  • Not restocking E-breach:tm: is very nice, make it a choice(no more buttons needed, works good as is)
  • Restocking consumables from an Apex and push board, makes you fly away, and cancel mission.
  • Get a abort launch button

Have yet to try CZ on foot. Mostly satisfied with missions as they are. When missions are complete, but not handed in, it is unfortunate that they all fail when you die. Would be nicer if they were "safe".
I do really like that scavengers are harder on certain bases, they even respawn if you don't act quickly (or was that a bug).

Bruce G

Community Manager
Frontier
Sorry for being vague.
Just better response, at least from my experience on MnK. Easier to use the key combos than the mouse itself.
Possibly a ping system like Apex for teams would be beneficial to squads without voice comms.
Don't object to the wheels at all, just make them work better.
Thanks for clarifying!

Make the item wheel the same in operation as the other wheel present for the suit. Hold key and keys for navigation. The mouse is not usable, especially during combat sessions. Make the functions for the energy cell and the medical pack bindable.

Only one point from me:

Multiple ship inventories!

For example, when I'm in my mining ship with loads of limpets and want to quickly switch to my viper for a quick combat mission, I have to sell off all the limpets and then rebuy them when I switch back. Very annoying!

It would be great if the stored ships had distinct inventories separate from your active ship, and if I need something from a stored ship, I can manage it's inventory through the station ship menu, transferring items to and from it.

direct keybind
  • Engineering materials
About that I would like to have the option to buy the necessary materials or at least get them through missions (all materials).

For me the best part has been the ambiance inside the stations and settlements which is excellent. And this system of missions I found very good. Regarding POIs, they need to have more variety.

Maybe it's because we're a bit in the dark however I would like;
  • Easy inventory access press (I) to see what I got in my backpack
  • Transfer items from SRV or Ship moved to the (Q) menu, this is because I don't want confusion if I need to board the ship in a hurry.
  • Easy view in the inventory (backpack) list of materials and engineering materials collected

What I like;

• The new planet tech is awesome
  • The new vegetation is very interesting
  • I LOVE :love: the POI on planets where you get scavengers dropping into fight you
  • I LOVE :love: the POI on planets where you need to sneak into a POI and spy on scavengers already there and take them out
  • I like that you need to interact with objects and open boxes to get what's inside.
  • I love to find bodies and stuff on the ground, little clues of what happen before disaster occurred (would love to find recordings).
Can we get a random mission give out there wandering around sending you on a chain mission?

Could the vendors and engineers have access to our entire inventory rather than us having to have the materials on us?

It’s frustrating to go to the vendor and get the list of materials needed for an upgrade, call a ship so you can grab those items, then run back to the vendor to upgrade your items.

Last edited:
Top Bottom