Focused Feedback - PC Participants

It seems that this was done so that an inexperienced player does not accidentally find himself in the sidewinder for 500 light years from the bubble) But this problem can be solved as follows. After starting the engine, a modal window appears in which it is warned that a jump to another system will occur soon, do you want to complete the jump together? And below the two buttons are Yes and No. If you select No, the ship will automatically undock 1 minute before the jump. If nothing is selected, then automatic undocking will also occur.
Slight issue with that. What if said Sidewinder pilot has come off for the day but wants to jump with the FC?FC owners might be in a different timezone.

Maybe if it was an option upon initial landing that you were happy to stay for any jumps, but that's could be a bit of a gamble if they plan a lot of jumps and you're not on for a few days 😀

In the Inventory Panel, Commodity Transfer occasionally gets hung. Cannot exit the menu panel.
I find I have to click 'Confirm' then click ''Cancel'. Sloppy interface design.

In Elite Dangerous? Whodathunk? (Goes back to chasing second prospector limpet up and down the Contacts panel).

After spending a few hours experimenting with my fleet carrier I have some feedback.
  • The updated jumping preparation and cool down times.
    • This feels balanced enough. Leave as is
  • Navigating through the Galaxy and/or System map to plot the route.
    • Works, but I want to be able to plot multiple jumps at a time dependent on fuel tank reserves available (did i just miss this option somewhere?), So I can load up on fuel, set my destination and come back the next day to a new area to explore/exploit. Needing to babysit the carrier jump to jump defeats the purpose of having a bridge crew that im paying millions of credits to.
  • Using the updated standard services available to you.
    • They work, no issues with transferring my ships and components to the carrier then changing modules and repairing/refueling. SC seemed to work fine. Not enough cash to fully fit the carrier, didn't install redemption office, shipyard, or secure trading.
  • Try out different Fleet Carrier crew members.
    • Random character button works to mix up the look of the crew, but whats the point of this? cosmetics? though the post on reddit of someone making a "chad" crew was entertaining I don't see the purpose of this. Please give us additional info/purpose.
  • Transferring any cargo from your ship to the Fleet Carrier.
    • Works, no issues
  • Filling the Fleet Carrier with Tritium
    • Buying it from a station with my type 9 at 800 tons a run was strait forward and much faster than mining it. 40k per ton cost isn't crazy expensive unless your trying to jump the carrier really far away, then its cost restrictive. Feels balanced.
    • Mining it was slow. Scanned a few icy pristine rings and found a hot spot in about 30 minutes of searching. In about an hour i pulled in about 100 tons of tritium which as a group would be fine but as an individual this was to slow. An overlapped hot spot would probably increase the speed but this is unreliable to find. Asteroid yields I saw were as high as 29% in the hot spot.
  • Remote Fleet Carrier Maintenance
    • I was able to access everything remotely and make changes with no issues. I preferred the local menu while docked however because I could watch the npc's landing on the ship, made it feel more alive.
  • Carrier Upkeep
    • In short; Upkeep is still to high due to the volatility of carrier income generation.
    • Have upkeep, but don't make it a job for me as the ship owner. I should make enough cash for maintenance while playing the game as I normally would regardless of chosen activity and still have enough left over to invest in new ships or additional carrier commodities/services. Otherwise I am just dumping money into a system that punishes my participation in exchange for mobile services.
    • My upkeep I think was around 12 million a week. Maintenance as a mechanic forces me to dedicate time to money generation for the carrier instead of just playing the game because those two activity's do not always coincide depending on the chosen activity (mining vs ship combat for example).
    • Once I invest my money I should never have to risk losing my investment due to inactivity. If a player goes inactive and carriers need to be removed then just remove them from the server, charge a one time insurance fee for a tow to the nearest dock or something, set all services as inactive and then re spawn them back when that player logs back in.
    • We don't need to simulate reality when it comes to ship maintenance because that is not fun, its punishing players for inactivity and will not solve problems with empty/inactive carriers it will create resentment with players.
Suggestions/Notes
  • I want to watch my carrier jump while parked on a pad... Give me an external cam minimum. The screen shake and noise effects only are lame, seriously.
  • Let me enter numbers into commodity pricing fields manually by typing. Whoever thought a + and - key was sufficient has no idea what the price of LTD's go for. Takes FOREVER to set prices up to actually do any trading with players.
  • Let me sell and buy the same commodity at the same time. This is critical to a proper player driven commodity market.
  • Missing content. Carrier financial viability and commodity trading;
    • No Npc interaction. They land at my carrier, but are only cosmetic? looks nice but is ultimatly useless without the npc's buying my stuff. Is this coming in a future update? cause if so tell us as that bit of missing interaction can make a huge impact on carrier fiscal viability. Relying on players to visit/buy stuff from my market is... volatile at best.
    • I cant check prices on carriers remotely (Did i miss it somewhere?) so to know what a player is selling I need to visit the carrier, once I leave the carrier goes dark again, So I can't check to see if the carrier is a good match for a trade route until I've already invested the time to make a stop. If I used the carrier before I may have hand written notes on paper but that doesn't mean its accurate anymore. Let me keep track of the carrier markets remotely once I make a visit (like with stations), this will allow me to know when trading at the carrier is actually profitable enough for me to make a trip to it after the initial visit.
  • Carrier as a commander ship vs a squadron ship
    • Carriers are marketed as commander ships but are time consuming for 1 commander to fuel/maintain/operate as is. If the carrier income was less volatile and dependent on player interaction or if commander income sources in the game were more balanced this could work fine as a commander ship but that's not the case right now with no npc interaction, and volatile player activity income.
Final thoughts:
  • I feel like we are not being shown the full scope of how fleet carriers fit into the game which is causing a lot of friction on the details. If this is the case (holding back for paid content update) the damage caused may surpass the benifit of future content secrecy. The only players who can afford to purchase and operate carriers are miners. I have 900 hours of playtime in elite. In that 900 hours I made like 1 billion credits over 870 of them, and then made the 5 billion credits mining in like 30 hours over a long weekend. Only way I can guarantee to afford to; buy large amounts of fuel (for exploring), having full services on the carrier (for combat), having commodities en-masse (for trading), is by... mining more low temp diamonds first. Lower the buy in cost, lower the maintenance, explain the full scope of design if we are missing it, or find a way to give players who don't want to mine low temp diamonds a path to getting/using the carrier.

For someone who has written off FCs for now, there is still a big downer that comes with the update, assuming what I saw in the beta will be included in the release: The SLF avatars have changed! I'm proud to have one of the (extremely rare!) most beautiful SLF pilots, who has earned about 1 billion just for her looking good, which was a good reason... and you heartless people from FDev dare to turn this beauty into complete ugliness?

I am not joking, I am really disappointed. As if the FCs weren't disappointment enough. How dare you, FDev. :mad:

Stephen Benedetti

Community Manager
Frontier
Hey @FrameshiftShark,

Thank you for the report. The team have just deployed a fix so that the Carrier Hull Maintenance is back at 100K rather than 750K.
Hello,

The team have re-implemented the fix and can confirm that it is now working in the beta. Fleet Carrier Hull Maintenance should be back to 100k per jump from now on. Sorry for the mix up!

Hello,

The team have re-implemented the fix and can confirm that it is now working in the beta. Fleet Carrier Hull Maintenance should be back to 100k per jump from now on. Sorry for the mix up!
Any way you can comment on if the various designs in the cradles at the buying locations represent body kits for the FC?
I really like the Vertical Hammer head.

FDev: We really need to have route planning to be the same for FC's as it is for all other ships. For 5 BILLION credits you would think that a computer or the crew (that we are paying for) could handle long range trips without the need to set up each jump by hand. Waypoints should be set and held until the Tritium is refilled. Then the course should be continued. Waiting for 15 minutes to jump is not real gameplay. It's actually really boring watching a static Managment view screen. Thanks for listening.

For someone who has written off FCs for now, there is still a big downer that comes with the update, assuming what I saw in the beta will be included in the release: The SLF avatars have changed! I'm proud to have one of the (extremely rare!) most beautiful SLF pilots, who has earned about 1 billion just for her looking good, which was a good reason... and you heartless people from FDev dare to turn this beauty into complete ugliness?

I am not joking, I am really disappointed. As if the FCs weren't disappointment enough. How dare you, FDev. :mad:
I've heard this before, but I can say that my NPC crew member hasn't changed at all. Not that I think any of the NPC's could be called beautiful... ;)

Something I don't like about the update is the change to the UI when you first dock. I get that it's quicker to refuel / repair / re-arm, especially if you're at a carrier where there are no or few other services available, although I think it's debatable just how many people will be docking at carriers rather than stations regularly. Perhaps the first (default) option could be station services with the shortcuts to refuel / repair / re-arm next?

And something I do like is the landing gear in my Viper no longer sticking through the floor of the cockpit! Only took a year and a half, but nice fix. :)

Just got an inbox message from my bridge crew that the weekly upkeep has been deducted. They said it was zero credits, but it obviously wasn't and the carriers balance reflects that.

And for info, the new, and I suspect correct weekly balance for a carrier with basic services plus refuel, rearm and repair and redemption office (shipyard and outfitting owner only) is 11,346,273 credits.

Edit - Now, if we could have a link to the carrier from the nearest station to be able to access their mission board and accept and hand in missions (delivery and fetch missions would obviously still need to be made to the relevant station), then the carrier becomes - to me at least - a viable and usable player owned station.

Last edited:
I can't seem to see the difference between NPC & PC fleet carriers. Is there a color change for the icon I'm missing since I'm colorblind or something?

I'm not sure someone else asked the same thing, a "fail-safe" button / command to confirm the jump after the spinup time could be very useful. After the spinup, if requested by the owner at the time of the route plotting, the FC crew asks for the final check / go to perform the jump; you can schedule a jump and go away to explore or do what you want, then come back and jump, without the risk of losing the base in case of delays, lost internet connections, blackouts etc.or simply, to avoid 15 minutes of waiting without nothing to do.

It seems that this was done so that an inexperienced player does not accidentally find himself in the sidewinder for 500 light years from the bubble) But this problem can be solved as follows. After starting the engine, a modal window appears in which it is warned that a jump to another system will occur soon, do you want to complete the jump together? And below the two buttons are Yes and No. If you select No, the ship will automatically undock 1 minute before the jump. If nothing is selected, then automatic undocking will also occur.
If a passenger is taking advantage of the time between jumps by exploring the current system, some kind of warning is needed. Else, the pilot can find himself stranded in his Sidewinder after the fleet carrier makes its next jump. Audio warnings already exist, as do a few text messages, when the FC prepares to depart. Leastwise, you get these warnings if you're already docked and, for me, that's all I need when deciding "should I go or should I stay." But, because I've been hesitant to see what happens if I'm still outside when the carrier starts to spool up, I've no idea if the warnings can be seen or heard if I'm not already docked.

Last edited:
However, it's not the beta testers' job to find and report this, more the developers' job to check at least the most basic features before the stuff goes public. IMO of course, I have no idea how 'modern' current game development actually is...

Top Bottom