Focused Feedback - PlayStation 4 Participants

Here's a good one. Dropped into Borann. Went to visit a couple of fleet carriers around A 2, dropped on their signal.

Two so far have been more than 300 Km away at first, and then are moving so fast that I can't catch them - the one I'm at now is at 4.76 Mm and moving fast.

EDIT: This may have something to do with the proximity of a Fleet Carrier to a ring.

My ED Beta controller settings are all set back to default.
Is there a way to use my ED saved settings on the ED Beta settings?
I tried backing them both up to a USB storage and swapping out the saved settings file but when I try to restore them the file is now corrupted.
Re-mapping all these controls is going to be a pain.

My ED Beta controller settings are all set back to default.
Is there a way to use my ED saved settings on the ED Beta settings?
I tried backing them both up to a USB storage and swapping out the saved settings file but when I try to restore them the file is now corrupted.
Re-mapping all these controls is going to be a pain.
All of that is stored on your local save data. I'm sure someone can come up with some way of how to transfer it, but for the purposes of a beta it's probably going to be a faff.

Detention center / rebuy screen is buggy. I had to 'clear' my wanted status in Diso and it broke connection several times. Finally was able to go to the detention center and pay for my crimes...

After buying and testing a fleet carrier, I’m excited for the new and interesting gameplay possibilities they present. Right now, they seem to be a little more than trophies as their overall utility seems quite limited. While they are nice to look at and can be a convenient place to keep all of your assets, I feel that they should be able to do so much more especially with the costs involved with buying and operating a carrier. Hopefully the next large paid expansion will introduce more features to the fleet carriers, because in their current state they are not bad, but not very exciting either.

While I fundamentally disagree with the concept of upkeep, the reasoning behind it is valid.

You should be able to customize your carriers ID tag.

There should be no limitations on what bodies a carrier can be next to.

The countdown timer despite being lowered is still annoying.

The carriers overall feel just like stations, and they shouldn’t. As I am the sole owner of this ship, I should be able to do whatever I want whenever I want. (I.E. not having to wait for a jump cool down or having to always request to dock when I own the place.)

The tariff system is interesting but useless as only players can be subject to tariffs. As a result making money with the fleet carrier is practically impossible, and would require the owner to produce all of the money needed to keep up with running costs. Introducing the NPC economy to fleet carriers would help alleviate this problem, as NPC ships passing through would be subject to tariffs. Personally, I believe that if upkeep costs are mandatory there should be a passive income system available to help alleviate those costs.

In their current state, fleet carriers are not worth their asking price and are little more than private garages. If this is how fleet carriers are meant to be, I believe their asking price should be significantly reduced and they should not be persistent. (To alleviate the over population problem.) To me, fleet carriers are currently best suited as totally individual assets. To make the price tag worth it and give them meaning to them being persistent, I believe fleet carriers need to have a massive expansion of functionality and overall utility. Hopefully there will be a nice surprise concerning this in the upcoming paid expansion.

All of that is stored on your local save data. I'm sure someone can come up with some way of how to transfer it, but for the purposes of a beta it's probably going to be a faff.
I have the data from my previous ED save and the new data save from the ED Beta on a USB. I can transfer the folders to my PC. They are in 2 different subfolders and both files have the same name and the same file size. If I replace the ED beta folder files with the regular folder files and try to restore them from USB to PS4 system data it says the files are corrupt.

I'm hoping FDev has a workaround.

I have the data from my previous ED save and the new data save from the ED Beta on a USB. I can transfer the folders to my PC. They are in 2 different subfolders and both files have the same name and the same file size. If I replace the ED beta folder files with the regular folder files and try to restore them from USB to PS4 system data it says the files are corrupt.

I'm hoping FDev has a workaround.
That’s happened to me a few times with updates. What I did was take screenshots for future reference and to make it faster to redo them when needed. And I have a copy of them on my phone to look at.

It's only an issue for the beta - since the PS4 recognises the Beta as a different game from the live game and you can]t transfer saves between games.

When the Live update is released, it'll be as an update to the current game and the keybinds will remain, same as with every other PS4 update to Elite...

Loving the beta so far.
I have been following the PC feedback from beta 1 so knew a lot of what to expect.
Stumbled across a couple of things which I deemed were bugs and raised them as tickets so the powers that be will be able to work out their severity and ease of fixing.
I think that the 5Bil cr purchase gate is right.
I think that upkeep should continue.

I have a couple of observations on things that would help improve the experience. (in my order of importance)

1) Message of the day - The carrier is screaming out for a simple (max 256 char. etc) message box that the carrier owner can update if they wish. It is functionality already in game with a similiar mechanic - in-game squadron messages. It would be a good quality of life improvement that would really help.

2) Carrier hunting on galaxy Map - The Galaxy map has filters for star types, for trader types, for engineers, for my ships, now for vendor sales and vendor services, now for my carrier.
Could we please have a similar filter that would allow me to find systems containing other carriers. (In my opinion, it does not need to have any sort of search function or count of carriers, just a toggle of Carrier present / not present). This would really help Commanders out in the black that are looking for the nearest Carrier to land on (because they need repair, to cash in cartographics, restock on SRVs or Fighters etc)

3) Consolidated Carrier Management - I would expect that as Carrier owner, I would be able to carry out all of the carrier management from within the Carrier services screen but it appears that the functions have been exclusively split. - i.e. the Carrier Services screen is entirely for visiting ships (including the owner) and Carrier Management is only available from the rght hand panel. The majority of this does not matter but it was confusing (to me) why I couldn't from Carrier Serivces (front screen) get to the Galaxy map and plot the next jump for my carrier.
I had to instead go to the Carrier Management screen (Right hand panel) to coordinate the route plot. It would be nice to combine this function, for the carrier owner, to the main carrier services screen.

edit: found it my mistake...

4) Remote transfer between hold and fuel tank - it has been said on a number of different posts but with the Carrier only containing 1000t of tritium, moving is limited by the amount of mining or shopping that you can do. Mining / shopping is straight forward until you top out the 1000t tank but if you either find a good mining spot or a similarly lucrative Tritium source, then the excess can be 'bought' and storred in the cargo hold. Whilst the carrier is jumping, the only way to top up the fuel tank is to either donate more Tritium or transfer from the hold. In order to transfer from the hold, you need to be phsyically on the carrier and do it via your ship in the shipyard. (or have someone buy the Tritium from you and then donate it back.
Only really a major problem for the DSSA initiative whilst all the Carriers get in place but a minor annoyance for everyone who finds that they are at one end of the bubble and their carrier is somewhere else with insufficient Tritium in the tank to make the jump (but enough in the hold).

Last edited:

Stephen Benedetti

Community Manager
Frontier
Tritium - two elite miners dropped into a Hotspot and got 60 tritium in 90 minutes. One of 2 things needs to change.....Either the % of good asteroids needs to be buffed significantly to allow a player to fill their fc's tanks with tritium in a reasonable amount of time or the price of buying tritium needs to be significantly reduced. My suggestion.....keep the buy price high and make it far faster to mine tritium. Make each tritium Hotspot equivalent to a triple/quad Hotspot. Personally I'd prefer a fc that had a fusion reactor or zero point reactor that didn't require fueling more than once a quarter regardless of distance traveled.

I would like to be able to see my carrier jump while on board. In fact passengers should be able to see also.

Jump time and cool down should both be 5 minutes. Let the carriers be used and be useful rather than an outrageous time sink. Currently you'll spend 40m cr to fill your tank or spend quite a number of hours mining to fill the tank, followed by the long wait to jump then cool down.

Upkeep- I'd rather see a flat 20m cr monthly "maintenance" cost versus a weekly "upkeep" cost. Upkeep is currently 15,600,029cr weekly without secure trading. That's just too much weekly. I do NOT want to spend all my time mining to pay for upkeep while also mining to fill the tank after mining for months to be able to afford a carrier.

So yeah, I finally played with them... and I'm disappointed to be honest. They look cool, and storing you ships in one place I'm looking forward too. However the economics make no sense.

Basically apparently the Fleet Carriers can only people.

So the ship/module thing makes no sense. Can only buy in bundles at retail price to resell is insane. Remember the shipyard at stations must also do the same. Apparently they run their shipyard as a charity. Universal Cartographics also has the same problem. Not only do you have to pay upkeep the user pays a fee for using it.

Tritium - two elite miners dropped into a Hotspot and got 60 tritium in 90 minutes. One of 2 things needs to change.....Either the % of good asteroids needs to be buffed significantly to allow a player to fill their fc's tanks with tritium in a reasonable amount of time or the price of buying tritium needs to be significantly reduced. My suggestion.....keep the buy price high and make it far faster to mine tritium. Make each tritium Hotspot equivalent to a triple/quad Hotspot.
I mostly concur - it's possible that a double or triple tritium spot would be more reasonable, but tritium seems to be as rare if not rarer than LTDs are on the live game (ignoring Borann's hotspot, which will likely change)

My FeedBack (Owner/visitor):

Fleet Carrier Owner:

Choose destination:
The system works well but it is annoying to have to visit the systems I have been to to choose the body because my exploration data is all gone.

Preparation/Cooldown
Preparation and cooldown time are ok! I know that the explorers will not agree, but do not reduce the preparation time more. It gives time for a friend to arrive before jumping, or even to cancel the jump when we regret the destination. It's great this way.

Using the updated standard services available to you:
Being able to transport my ships and modules in the FC stock version makes this a functional fleetcarrier. Good move Frontier!

Try out different Fleet Carrier crew members:
it's nice but it's useless in my opinion.
We should be able to change crew names!

Transfering any cargo from your ship to the Fleet Carrier.
I had several problems with this. It has a bug. Sometimes I can transfer, sometimes I can't.

Filling the Fleet Carrier with Tritium, which you can get by mining Ice Asteroids or purchasing at stations that supply it.
If I'm on a system that sells tritium, it shouldn't be necessary to go to the station. You should have the option to order x tons of tritium at an additional cost of, for example, 20% and Galactic Logistics would make the delivery.

Using Standard, Surface, or Subsurface mining methods to acquire Tritium.
It´s to hard to find tritium in a Ice Ring, too hard!

With the additional servicesavailable to you, we would really appreciate your feedback on all of these. We understand that kitting out your Fleet Carrier for your playstyle is important, but it would be helpful for us to see owners try each and every service they can.

Outfitting/Shipyard
Buying ships and modules in packages doesn't make sense. For the system to be viable you have to allow each one to buy only the ships they want to sell and with a percentage of at least 15% discount that is achieved in the systems controlled by LYR. Nobody will buy anything in a FleetCarrier if less than 30 / 40Ly has much cheaper.

Redemption Office/Advanced Maintenance/Secure Trading/Universal Cartographics
Work as intended.

Check out the Remote Fleet Carrier Maintenance and make sure all the functions work the same way as when you are docked at the Fleet Carrier.
Work as intended.

Carrier Upkeep
The upkeep is fine. The cost per jump does not. Originally it was 100,000cr now it is 750,000cr. I realize that as maintenance costs have dropped you have to increase the cost per jump, but it seems too much.

Changes to make:
-Missing bridge view when I'm in my FleetCarrier. I can't see the animation of the jump and that´s sad, because it´s cool!
-A visitor should not be allowed to see information about the FC. Upkeep, load capacity, etc., should be hidden.
-The owner should have the option to hide the fleetcarrier from the system map.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fleet Carrier Visitors

Visit a Fleet Carrier:
Did you have trouble finding and docking at a Fleet Carrier?
No, easy to find a FleetCarrier in my System map.

Was it clear that the Fleet Carrier you found was owned by another player?
No, but all FC are owned by players. I don't get the point.

Trade both clean and stolen goods (if the owner has a Fence available).
Work as intended.
Purchasing Ships and Modules (If the owner has these services available).
Work as intended.
Donate and sell Tritium.
Work as intended.
Store your modules and ships aboard a friendly Fleet Carrier either directly or by transfer.
Work as intended.
Universal Cartographics
Work as intended.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Fleet Carrier Visitors
Visit a Fleet Carrier:
Did you have trouble finding and docking at a Fleet Carrier?
YES, Filter only works in a system you have alreaedy visited, and since you reset locations I have visited in the BETA none appeared. I figured this out with a bit of reading, and getting onto WIKI Found the locations selling Fleet carriers, and located the one closest to my location. Once I got there there were aLOT of fleet carriers. But no way to tell which one would allow me to land. I flew to the first one dropped out of super cruise, this took almost a full minute in the blue tunnel, only to discover that the fleet carrier owner wouldn't allow docking. I am not a criminal, and have no bounties or fines.

Was it clear that the Fleet Carrier you found was owned by another player?
Yes, the name BIGGUS DICGUS gave it away quite well. I avoided landing on that fleet carrier. The others had more normal names, and since they have a rather unique icon in the left panel it was obvious they were fleet carriers vice stations etc.

Trade both clean and stolen goods (if the owner has a Fence available).
I didn't have anything to trade.
Purchasing Ships and Modules (If the owner has these services available).
Not installed on the two I landed on.
Donate and sell Tritium.
Didn't try, I will tonight though. I want to see what rate I get with different mining ships.
Store your modules and ships aboard a friendly Fleet Carrier either directly or by transfer.
sorry not willing to try this when the carrier is mobile and I don't control where it goes, I suppose it doesn't matter since its a BETA but its hard to separate myself from ships I have worked for months to get.
Universal Cartographics
Work as intended. I would like to see what the full payout price is and then what I am getting when I choose to sell my Cartographics data to the fleet carrier.

General thoughts:
I didn't ride along, I might have if I could see the distance in LY of the currently scheduled jump.
There should be a kind of communications system for the owner to brief passengers on his fleet carrier.
Currently would not own a fleet carrier.
Weekly Maintenance, lack of cockpit, lack of robust buying selling system, fuel consumption versus fuel extraction rate would all keep me from buying.

GAME - Elite Dangerous: Beta - Fleet Carriers Update
VERSION - 3.7 (Beta 2)
PLATFORM - PlayStation 4/PlayStation 4 Pro
CATEGORY - Gameplay/
Title: Caanot approach FC, It actually travels away from me when I drop from Super Cruise

Top Bottom