Foliage, quality and variety

Hello everyone, new here, but really enjoy this forum and have been following all of Planet Zoo's developments for quite some time. The game looks incredible, and as all of you, i can not wait to get my hands on it. Having said all this, i will like to get to the point of my thread, plants are at the epicenter of any modern zoo institution, they are not only some of the most essential decorative features in most animal exhibits, but in most cases represent the species's habitats and geographic regions. As far as the actual game models, they look spectacular and add life to every zoological design players can come up with. I think Planet Zoo would greatly benefit from offering a large variety of foliage, ranging from small plants to large trees, it is an integral part of any zoo layout, and having a large diversity of them would add realism to the game.

As it has been mentioned many times before by Frontier Development, the game will have, well over 50 animal species, and this is not even counting the smaller species that will be available in the partially assembled exhibits. My question is, would they also highlight such a key element of zoo's worldwide and encompass a large variety of grasses, plants, shrubs and trees? The foliage that has been shown so far is quite impressive and looks beautiful in the game, but it does show to be somewhat limited as far as species diversity, it is my hope that when the game is released there will be a lot more variety. I have gone over their African bio game footage demo several times, and realized that there is not a large number of species. The Acacia tree shown there has been rotated in different angles, but it does look like the same species, while this rotating feature, presenting different angles of the same tree is great, having other many different species of Acacias and African trees would be ideal, the same goes for every other terrain bio. I'm not saying to take anything to what is already included, but instead add more variety.

Trees like, the iconic Banyan with its aerial roots, that place any player right in Asia. The Fever tree, with sprawling branches and a climbing trunk ideal for leopards in the African bio, and that can be use in Australia as well. A sausage tree, that can be placed alongside the entrance to an African theme area, the Mopane tree, ideal for those dry and arid areas that represent the African Continent. Large numbers of species of Bamboo and palm trees, that are often used by modern Zoo institutions to create a dense jungle feeling alongside guest pathways. In short the list in endless, and if there are over 50 animals, the number of available plants and trees should be much higher, in the hundreds, if the game is going to aim for realism and immersing players in the world of zoo exhibit design. There is also the question of conservation, as it is my understanding that this is a highlighted element of the game's core focus, and alongside the animals of this world we are also tasked to preserve and protect the plants, as their survival is key in maintaining our animal kingdom. I would like to ask those of you quite familiar with the development of these virtual models, how difficult would it be for the Planet Zoo team to create an extensive range of plants.

Last edited:
I wanted to show some of the examples of foliage variety i was referring to, the level of realism and attraction of the game's design aspect would be highly enhance with a large representation of flora species.
tree variety1.jpg
treevariety6.jpg
zoodesign2.jpg
zoo445.jpg
zoo743.jpg

Last edited:
Bamboo stacks of different species would be a fantastic addition by the Planet Zoo design team, as they would add a dramatic background to any Asian exhibit.
treevariety96.jpg
bamboo22.jpg
bamboo88.jpg
bamboo988.jpg
bamboo3333.jpg

Last edited:
I have also noticed some exceptional quality in the palm tree species currently displayed in the game. I would ask of the team, to continue with this high level of detail and to add more species. Not only would they offer more depth to the players designing their zoos, but there are so many gorgeous
treevariety12.jpg
treevariety18.jpg
treevariety17.jpg
treevariety21.jpg
treevariety29.jpg
species to choose from, that the list would be endless.
plant1.jpg
palms445.jpg

Last edited:
Next up would be grass, as I'm already sure that we will have an extensive selection of small plants within the game, my concern is having grass options as well. Since the game's terrain engine, already manufactures grass according the environment, it would be beneficial to include a extensive selection of exotic grass options within the foliage, that the player can then add to the terrain or exhibits, to further create the illusion of the animal's natural environment.
grass32.jpg
grass77.jpg
grass81.jpg
grass98.jpg
grass102.jpg
grass712.jpg
grass714.jpg
grass913.jpg

Another question i would love ask, is in reference to the scale of the foliage, plants just like animals exhibit different growth stages, and their size is not always uniform to one another, would this be a feature that is included in the game? Having plants at different stages of their growth would also greatly enhance the realism in the game and add further visual diversity.
plant8945.jpg
plant994.jpg
plant9233.jpg
plant81000.jpg
plant82114.jpg
plant90211.jpg
plant92331.jpg
plantvariety34.png

Flowering trees are another scenic element to comes to mind, many trees are known for their ability to bloom and their exceptional colors. While i have seen already that Planet Zoo team has tackled this featured, again they should focus on a greater number of species, that players can choose from while designing their dream zoos.
plant4.jpg
plant13.jpg
plant49.jpg
plant89.jpg
plant23.jpg
plant912.jpg

Actually,my first zoo I plan is very foliage heavy. I look forward to what Frontier will give us, but also to what players can create with it. I saw foliage buildied piece by piece as well in Planco. Definately awesome.

So far on screenshots I've seen a lot of foliage that is a direct copy of the ones in Planco (which to me is a obvious & logic decision).
But, for me Planco did not have enough foliage to make real diverse scenes. I do hope we get a lot more foliage besides the ones that are copy pasted.

edit: clarified "obvious" remark.

Last edited:

WingardiumLevicoaster

Volunteer Moderator
So far on screenshots I've seen a lot of foliage that is a direct copy of the ones in Planco (which to me is obvious).
But, for me Planco did not have enough foliage to make real diverse scenes. I do hope we get a lot more foliage besides the ones that are copy pasted.
I am thinking, that the fact they can add adapt pieces from PC means they have more time to develop additional variety.

In Planet Coaster we generally get 3 or 4 versions of the same tree in different sizes, so I expect at minimum there will be that. There is also more than 1 type of palm. It has been a feedback point for PC, numerous times as well. So I am very hopeful.

Thank you Bo, I have to admit that i have not played Planet Coaster, but because of the upcoming Planet Zoo, i have familiarized myself as much as possible with the piece by piece build format, I absolutely love this feature, as it allows the players to use the full range of their imagination and create visually unique parks. I'm very exited to know that soon we will get to see more, as I'm fascinated by everything Planet Zoo related.

HelloDanny_zoo,
Thanks for sharing!

The habitat with the Giant Panda looks really good. I can hardly wait to rebuild it :) There will be pandas, won't there, @bo? I think pandas are too sweet to do without, they will certainly be in the game <3

Thank you everyone, I'm sure we will all be very satisfied with all of the hard work that the Planet Zoo team has put into this game. There is another topic related to the foliage that i wanted to touch on, and that is how plants and trees will look during the winter in the game. Based on the screenshots and brief video clips we have been provide of zoo exhibits covered in snow, we can also appreciate that most of the trees have retained their leaves. Would it be possible for the development team to alter this, to where some of the tree species lose all of their leaves? Much as it is the case in real life zoo's where many large trees have lost all their foliage when the snows come, and what remains are majestic trunks and branches covered in white. A mixture of this would impact the realism of the game during this season.
weather81.jpg
weather82.jpg
weather84.jpg
weather85.jpg
weather92.jpg
weather133.jpg
weather722.jpg
weather944.jpg
weather2112.jpg
weather2123.jpg

Top Bottom