For any fans of DCS World...

He makes them on demand, so you need to get on a list :) he will shortly take new orders, contact him on the IL2 forum with a PM.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/28738-metal-throttle-consoles/

Just saw that there is a box to go with a Warthog throttle - looks like just the thing! Thanks again for that link!!!

I might get some pedals :)

How much you got to spend?

I'd suggest at least a VKB T-rudder setup, otherwise, if you have the cash, the Crosswinds, Slaw device, or one of the Baur pedals (I have the F3) would be well worth it. Remember, it may seem pricey to go this route, but you are buying items that
have been built to last by craftsman and engineers, and will save oyu money int he long run by effectively never needing replacement.

Z...

Last edited:
Mirage 2000C on steam now but is not compatible with DCS website download version since they use a different key generator.

I can't wait for the AV-8B and the F-18C.

I bought the Mirage2000C a few weeks back during the 40% off sale - I have so many modules now, I simply don't know where to start anymore! Been trying the Huey, but my pedals seem to have no affect, so I suspect my bindings need an epic amount of work. I think I'm going to move to the P-51 as a start...

Z...

Thanks to the Steam sale, aircraft are once again 40% off.

I grabbed this:

Screen_141020_173500.jpg_Thumbnail0.jpg

And of course, this...

DCS1.5-BS2-002.jpg

:D

In light of me finally spilling out on a partial desk sim rack to stick my CH HOTAS and the Crosswinds on and being utterly unmotivated to play much of Elite Dangerous for the forseeable future anymore, I'm looking at more serious sim-y things to put the flight setup to use instead of waiting for my ingame items or ship to transfer before I can play the bloody mission I want to play. Cue Steam sales for more time wasters that actually give me something worth my time, because when I want to wait for an hour clock, I'll play with one...

What would those of you more familiar with DCS World recommend as a entry point? I'm personally ok with not having clickable cockpit elements, but I'd value actual decent mission or campaign content very much. On the other hand, parts for the rack have maken enough of a financial dent already for the forseeable future, so I'm not really down on the idea of splashing a "full game price" on just one craft, as clicky as the cockpit may be, just so I'm able to buy the campaign to play it separately for extra dough.

Does the base F2P DCS world offer anything in terms of missions/campaigns? Are there any easy price sensitive recommendation?

Edit: Also, how is the relation between DCS World, DCS World on Steam and DCS world 2.0? Is the latter available through Steam at all? How does DCS world 2.0 play together with any released modules (if at all)?

Edit 2: Ok, reading helps. Official site states the two sopported/required maps for DCS world 2.0 are "not Steam compatible". Is DCS world 2.0 then an entirely new technical basis that's unreleased on Steam and requires new modules?

Last edited:
Burny>
To hopefully answer some of your questions:
- DCS does have some built in missions for a number of the aircraft and also some DLC campaigns. I personally don't fly them, but that's just not my preference. Additionally, if you want to get in and fly quickly and conduct campaigns, you might be better off with IL-2 BOS, which now also supports VR. I do have both, though frankly I'm rather underwhelmed by IL-2, which IMO is still some way adrift of feeling like you're actually flying an aircraft, unlike DCS. For all that, it really is a question of personal preferences.
- There's two versions of the DCS game engine, v1.5, which includes a free map (Caucasus), and v2.1, which only supports the two paid for maps (Normandy and NTTR). Both of the game engines are free and it's quite OK to have both installed in parallel. There is an expectation that v2.5 which continue to push forward the game engine, with it eventually also encompassing an updated Caucasus map
- With DCS you're primarily paying for the DLC aircraft and maps, and they're not cheap. For all that, the maps are big and well done and the aircraft are fabulous. There was a recent thread on the DCS forums about a review by a real Huey pilot of his experience of flying the Huey in DCS in VR. He was very positive about the degree of accuracy. Part of the implications of the pricing model is that if you want a lot of aircraft, it's NOT cheap. Making up for that, DCS regularly have sales on their aircraft with anywhere from 40-70% discounts. At the moment there's a 40% sale on most modules in Steam. More importantly, chances are that it'll take some real effort to learn to fly well, so there's a lot of depth to the effort required, meaning that you won't get bored too quickly.
For example, took me months to be semi-competent in flying the Huey.
- Once you have learned to fly, it's an awesome experience and is deeply satisfying. Just being able to deal with say the 2 min start up sequence on the Huey is fun (well at least for me).
- There's 3 key categories of aircraft in game, the jets, from Sabres to Mirages and F15s, WW2 prop aircraft (Spit, Fw190 etc) and helicopters (from Huey to the KA50). So a wide range of time periods covered.
- It's quite OK to purchase module licenses from either Steam or from ED directly. Either will work fine with the core game engines. Personally I have bought some aircraft via Steam, but run 2.1 which I downloaded from ED directly.
- All of the aircraft modules will work with either version of DCS world. Some of the campaigns are however version specific.
- DCS includes a VERY powerful in game mission editor, so if you want to say setup an night-time troop insertion to a specific map point that might have nearby defences, you can do it. DCS also has what appears to be a very switched on community, who regularly release free mods and scripts.
- I very much recommend downloading v1.5, which includes the free map and two free aircraft (P51 and Su25). That will give you an idea of the depth of the game.

So back to I guess your key point, i.e. whether to bother. If you want a fairly easy to get into flying game with some shooting, try IL-2, or Arma3 if you want nearly Elite easy to fly. If you want something seriously challenging, that will take you serious effort to learn just how to get something into the air successfully, then it's definitely DCS. Personally, I love DCS.

Update: As an example of the mission editor, I fancied trying something a little different tonight. So flew a delivery mission from a carrier to a frigate. The editor allows placement of ships, their defined waypoints and speeds, weather conditions etc. So it was a night mission, 15mph winds, 10' swells, rain, trying to land on a frigate in the dark, whilst it was cruising at 29knots. Rather challenging as the frigate flight deck is really not that much bigger than the Huey. Amazing feeling to do it well though.

Last edited:
Another new bird :D

57f688884ce1d.jpg

These are my "mess around in" aircraft. My main bird is likely to be the A-10, since I have the training campaigns for it :).

In light of me finally spilling out on a partial desk sim rack to stick my CH HOTAS and the Crosswinds on and being utterly unmotivated to play much of Elite Dangerous for the forseeable future anymore, I'm looking at more serious sim-y things to put the flight setup to use instead of waiting for my ingame items or ship to transfer before I can play the bloody mission I want to play. Cue Steam sales for more time wasters that actually give me something worth my time, because when I want to wait for an hour clock, I'll play with one...

What would those of you more familiar with DCS World recommend as a entry point? I'm personally ok with not having clickable cockpit elements, but I'd value actual decent mission or campaign content very much. On the other hand, parts for the rack have maken enough of a financial dent already for the forseeable future, so I'm not really down on the idea of splashing a "full game price" on just one craft, as clicky as the cockpit may be, just so I'm able to buy the campaign to play it separately for extra dough.

Does the base F2P DCS world offer anything in terms of missions/campaigns? Are there any easy price sensitive recommendation?

Edit: Also, how is the relation between DCS World, DCS World on Steam and DCS world 2.0? Is the latter available through Steam at all? How does DCS world 2.0 play together with any released modules (if at all)?

Edit 2: Ok, reading helps. Official site states the two sopported/required maps for DCS world 2.0 are "not Steam compatible". Is DCS world 2.0 then an entirely new technical basis that's unreleased on Steam and requires new modules?

I would strongly recommend Fighting Falcon to you or BMS as we call it now, it's for free and awesome in so many ways.
[video=youtube;QcMOOOulhME]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcMOOOulhME[/video]

I would strongly recommend Fighting Falcon to you or BMS as we call it now, it's for free and awesome in so many ways.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcMOOOulhME

Thanks! Will definitely check out once everything is set up. How is it free though? Is it a mod based on Falcon 4.0? Is Falcon 4.0 required?

- It's quite OK to purchase module licenses from either Steam or from ED directly. Either will work fine with the core game engines. Personally I have bought some aircraft via Steam, but run 2.1 which I downloaded from ED directly.

Thanks! I think I'll check out the 1.5 version and included planes first. Should I decide to go "deeper", how does the above work though? As I understand it's not possible to install the updated base engine through Steam. How is it then able to take modules installed using Steam?

As of right now, you can download v1.5 from Steam or Eagle Dynamics, and v2.1 from only ED.
ED have expanded what's available on Steam, but I'm going to suggest you download directly from ED as that also has v2.1 and the Normandy related assets.
If you buy a module via Steam, you can find it's CDKey ID via the properties within the SteamApp. It's very straightforward to do, and you can then add into the ED account that you need to have anyway.

So basically, you can buy from either Steam or ED and both will work with each other. For all that, IMO it's easier to deal directly with ED and only purchase items from Steam when they have better discounts there.

Hope that helps.

Important update regarding steam keys and stand-alone:

Please note that the DCS: M-2000C, and all future DCS World DLC releases on Steam, will now use Steam Keys instead of Starforce keys. As such, these purchases cannot be activated on the DCS World e-Shop version. Previous purchases will not be affected.
As to why the change to Steam Keys for future releases, there are three primary reasons:

1- Our partners at Valve/Steam have strongly encouraged us to do so over the past year.
2- Use of credit card fraud to purchase keys for gray market sales has steadily grown.
3- From the beginning, there has been a lot of unhappiness with the use of StarForce keys for our Steam DLC purchases.

Again, this only affects the M-2000C and future Steam DLC projects. It does NOT affect any existing sales. For example: past and future purchases of A-10C, FC3, F-15C, etc, are not affected by this.

Thanks

So any module bought on steam that got released after the Mirage wont work with stand alone.

From the ED forums:

Dear users!
Only DCS World keys purchased from these locations are valid purchases and can be activated in the Module Manager:

Any DCS World keys purchased from other sources are invalid and are simply trying to re-sell keys that are bound to other users or purchased through fraud. Such sites include Kinguin, CDExpress and G2A.
If you purchase DCS World keys from these sites, we cannot help you. We suggest you contact these sites for a refund.

Last edited:
Top Bottom