For any fans of DCS World...

They are currently having a sale on Steam. Aircraft are 40% off.

I got this:

1381245421-screen-130930-142645.jpg

And this:

Screen_160427_163035.jpg

:D

Have fun learning the Gazelle, this helicopter is really tricky to master! Hawk - good thing you grabbed it on sale, its the only module that its not worth getting yet imo - way too many bugs and still sub-par interior visuals.

Deleted member 110222

D
Question from an interested party.

Helicopters in this game. Are pedals a must? Also, how will the game/sim run on my specs?read my signature.

Question from an interested party.

Helicopters in this game. Are pedals a must? Also, how will the game/sim run on my specs?read my signature.

Everything goes, but as this is a SIM with SIM in bold and underscore, you will want to fly it with pedals :)

Last edited:
I would strongly recommend pedals for DCS helicopters, although for a long time I was able to control rudder with thumb stick on my CH Throttle. But at least basic hotas is highly needed.

Those are current recommended specs for DCS 1.5 on steam:
DirectX11;
CPU: Core i5;
RAM: 8 GB;
Free hard disk space: 30 GB;
Video: 2 GB RAM card, DirectX11 - compatible;
requires internet activation.

Last edited:
The current sale is Steam only. DCS had similar discounts on their site for an Easter sale. Steam keys work fro both Steam and stand alone DCS. Stand alone DCS keys do not work on Steam.

I never understood the difference, are there a difference or is it just the platform where you purchase the digital stuff :) like FD-ED?

Just saw the prices. Wow! They sell 1 plane for almost 50 EUR regularly? That is a lot of money. This way you can spend hundreds our EUR on the game.

How do you play the missions without all the planes needed?

Last edited:
I never understood the difference, are there a difference or is it just the platform where you purchase the digital stuff :) like FD-ED?

On ED store you can buy modules in early beta, and play improved newer version of the engine DCS 2.0 already. Steam has only finished modules and older DCS 1.5 engine.

- - - Updated - - -

Just saw the prices. Wow! They sell 1 plane for almost 50 EUR regularly? That is a lot of money. This way you can spend hundreds our EUR on the game.

Before DCS World platform those planes were sold as a stand alone study sims (A-10C and Kamove helicopter for example), and they still are pretty much entire sims that you can purchase with missions, manuals and so on. Now they just run on a single engine called DCS World. The price is high because it takes around 3-5 years to make this level of plane/helo, plus costs of licensing with real world manufacturer. Similar addons for FSX/Prepare 3d like 777 airliner can costs up to 100 bucks.

Last edited:

I don't know about the all the other planes but the ones I have all come with fully voiced training missions and a campaign.

The price is actually great value. I don't have many but what you get for the money is incredibly detailed aircraft, missions and the ability to use real flight mechanics.

If nothing else, go install the 'demo' version on Steam that gives you the p51 and the SU25 Frogfoot. There's a good 20+ hours of content there on its own.

Absolutely- try the demo. It comes with pretty big Caucasus map and two free planes. The unarmed version of legendary WWII Mustang - the TF-51, and Russian twin-engine ground attack jet Su-25T.
The TF-51 comes with fully clickable/interactive cockpit - means you can move every button with your mouse.
The Su-25T does not have this feature but it comes with large variety of weapons.
I can safely say that both free planes (the TF-51 especially) are on pair with some pay-ware add-ons for other flightsims. The TF-51 model and flight dynamics are really amazing.
Free DCS also includes powerful map editor - you can create your own missions, scenarios or even whole campaigns.

Hi, I own the demo and played around already. But it's really tricky. A real sim so to say.

If I understand right, the free demo is more or less the basic game and you just add more and more planes without the need to buy the "full" game as the demo is the full game, right?

I like the game a lot. I play it in VR. It's pretty cool. And the fly by camera makes a lot of fun especially using the Mustang.

Hi, I own the demo and played around already. But it's really tricky. A real sim so to say.

If I understand right, the free demo is more or less the basic game and you just add more and more planes without the need to buy the "full" game as the demo is the full game, right?

I like the game a lot. I play it in VR. It's pretty cool. And the fly by camera makes a lot of fun especially using the Mustang.

Yeah, other payware planes and their missions are simply added to your base DCS installation.

Top Bottom