For the love of god, give us autonomy over our ships

I haven't been able to glitch the HUD since the lighting engine update :(
Are you using a pad, or a HOTAS? I first did it a week or so ago by accident. I have it still bound to B + 'd-pad' right, and I found it's easier to trigger with that [stupid little non-analogue... ] thumbstick as opposed to using the Elite controller's combinations, pre-HOTAS.

Hotas. I'll try the controller 👍
I just launched Elite now, btw, and on a first try I banished the Orca's HUD, so it certainly should be possible.

Edit - oh, for clarity's sake I meant I'm using the HOTAS and I find it far easier with that than the pad.

Last edited:
While I don't understand the "SRV in space" part, I agree with the rest. Optional lighting in the cockpit, HUD colour (obviously) would be high on my wish list. But as with everything else, I'm afraid we'll have to wait until the late 2020 update for these to even have a chance to materialize.

try ctrl+alt+G it works for PC..sometimes needs to be keyed more than once but for me works nice 99.9% of the time..
as for its use...lots of use, firstly dimming the inside of the ship like that makes it so nice on the eyes to be able to see certain things better.
another big use(for me anyway in various places I fight turning the hud off with 3 monitors makes it easier to see things running away from you and when you headturn to the side you no longer have the stupid displays interfering or sometimes flickering on and off if your stick or mouse isn't in just the right place.
I use it all the time...much easier to fight in really dark places. and I actually use a hotkey macro...so I press 1 key and the macro turns the hud off/on....

if you didn't know about that then you also might not know about - ctrl+F and ctrl+B

Last edited:
try ctrl+alt+G it works for PC..sometimes needs to be keyed more than once but for me works nice 99.9% of the time..
as for its use...lots of use, firstly dimming the inside of the ship like that makes it so nice on the eyes to be able to see certain things better.
another big use(for me anyway in various places I fight turning the hud off with 3 monitors makes it easier to see things running away from you and when you headturn to the side you no longer have the stupid displays interfering or sometimes flickering on and off if your stick or mouse isn't in just the right place.
I use it all the time...much easier to fight in really dark places. and I actually use a hotkey macro...so I press 1 key and the macro turns the hud off/on....

if you didn't know about that then you also might not know about - ctrl+F and ctrl+B
All those commands are nice on PC...but not much use for the average Xbox player unless they use a USB keyboard as it doesn't work via a tablet or the Xbox phone app which a few folks use for text input. If I remember rightly, Ctrl+F was disabled a while ago on the Xbox...used to work intermittently, same as ctrl+B if you had a USB keyboard plugged in. I think FDev got a bit snarky about showing the frame rates on the Xbox if I'm honest....

The network throughput monitor (ctrl+B) didn't ever work that great when I tried it on the Xbox...certainly not as much an indicator as on PC.

Last edited:
And, er, why would someone want to eject an SRV in space? It's that part which made ponder whether this was just a troll/joke thread...

Because people like to have fun in life. Because give people the option to be creative, and they will. Because, why not?

Because it's adds to the autonomy we have over our ships, which in turn fundamentally alters the design philosophy (overall) positively.

Because it's the philosophy of why we can't do it which is so important? And it's not just about the SRV itself. The SRV is a symptom of Fdev's restrictive mindset.

It's not only the fun we could have with space SRV wars (with HUD off), it's the idea behind it that's important -- the freedom, the autonomy, the immersion. We're stuck to our ships and have virtually no control over its utility or our experience. Not being able to do something so inconsequential and harmless is emblematic of Fdev having no idea about healthy game design; the idea of "freeing the srv" is meant to underline that, for a game such as this, autonomy and self-governance over our OWN experience is paramount, not matter how frivolous, self harming, or damaging.

Last edited:
"If you value it, then obviously that's great for you, but I don't quite see how it can called useful?

I mean, why would someone want to disable their HUD? Maybe for interior screenshots, but to me it'd just look like their ship's systems have failed...

I found out it could be forced a couple of weeks ago, but haven't tried to replicate it. I triggered it accidentally and thought 'Huh. So it is a thing', before immediately getting it back, 'cause, y'know, data is useful. ; -)"

NO WAY, IS IT YOU?!? YOU'RE THE REASON I PUT THE SILLY DISCLAIMERS IN! I THINK YOU'RE THE SAME GUY THAT I SHOWED TO MY FRIENDS FOR BEING LITERALLY THE MOST PRETENTIOUS PERSON I'VE SEEN ALL YEAR. "UHH, WHY WOULD YOU TURN MY HUD OFF, uhhh, I LIKE INFORMATION LOL. "

Thanks for coming into my thread. I want you to know that you single handedly tainted my day, days ago, and you make me feel disgusted for sharing the same existence with someone so entitled and out of touch. It's gross someone can take something so innocent and make it about ego. You're EXACTLY the person I was weary of whilst writing this. I am so absolutely baffled someone can be so opinionated for things so positively requested yet optionally inconsequential.

Last edited:
Thanks for coming into my thread. I want you to know that you single handedly tainted my day, days ago, and you make me feel disgusted for sharing the same existence with someone so entitled and out of touch.
Um, is this satire? Parody? Tone's lost in text.

I don't think we've ever interacted on the forum before (and I don't play in Open).

It's gross someone can take something so innocent and make it about ego. You're EXACTLY the person I was weary of whilst writing this. I am so absolutely baffled someone can be so opinionated for things so positively requested yet optionally inconsequential.
[ lowers voice to a hushed whisper ]

It's just a game... You expressed your opinion, and then I expressed mine, politely. That's all.

If you're genuinely affected by people having slightly different opinions about a videogame to you, well, you kinda need to re-evaluate your emotional reactions and priorities. I'd like the game to be more 'serious' and sim-like. Gimme resource management and more danger/risk. You'd like to fly cars in space... I don't think either of us will get our wish, so we make do.

D4r8Gq2WwAAbV18

Top Bottom