For those on the VR fence: Oculus Rift + Touch now $399!!! (Similar to Warthog HOTAS)

Placed in the main boards because it is for non VR gamers who might be on the fence.

If you haven't gamed in VR, it is awesome.

The Rift is an astonishing piece of kit. For $400, similar to top of the range Warthog HOTAS, you really cant go wrong. The price includes the Touch Controllers too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6mczil/rift_touch_399_for_a_limited_time_summer_of_rifts/

You also get a bunch of bundled games and apps.

Elite is astonishing in VR

Unless you heavily use the keyboard in the which case, although visually stunning, it's a pain to use.

This is too good a deal to pass up.
Just picked up a new cpu and usb 3.0 card to get my pc above the min reqs.

Maybe this will actually get me playing elite again. :rolleyes:

VR is awesome and Elite in VR is amazing! I highly recommend taking this offer! It´s really special to be able to actually sit inside the cockpit and see its real size

Price is getting better, but I wonder with a significant discount like this that a new model is on the way?

Pity graphics cards aren't getting the same drop in price LOL

That's a great price, but I'm waiting for the resolution to increase, to avoid the "screen door" issue. Also, I think I'll need to upgrade my graphics card first. Plus, I'll likely get a Vive instead; I like the button on the visor which lets you view your surroundings without removing the visor (via a built-in video camera).

I can certainly be patient. I recently received a 3D monitor as a gift. Along with my EDTracker, it's a reasonable alternative to VR, even if it's not as immersive.

Last edited:
Price is getting better, but I wonder with a significant discount like this that a new model is on the way?
Pity graphics cards aren't getting the same drop in price LOL
IMO it's a fire sale, Zuckerberg paid two mill+ for the company, dropped the Trump loving Palmer, tried to create a walled garden ala Apple and now, with the MS certified headsets coming for $400 ish is trying to empty the stock.

That's a great price, but I'm waiting for the resolution to increase, to avoid the "screen door" issue.
I can certainly be patient. I recently received a 3D monitor as a gift. Along with my EDTracker, it's a reasonable alternative to VR, even if it's not as immersive.
I reckon it's a year or two away still for quality high res, along with foveated rendering (eyeball tracking) and decent positional inside out tracking (negating the need for external cameras), that'll be gen2. Having said that, I find the SDE on the Rift not terrible, slightly better than the Vive, wish they'd gone with the PSVR lense solution tho', which is supposedly almost SDE free (but looking doubtful PSVR will be able to run ED).

I got the EDTracker, purely for Elite - and it was great, but it was my gateway drug to getting the Rift. The sense of presence is <still> awesome :).

Last edited:
It's definitely worth the money. I first got this game through the Oculus Store, so pretty much all of my time in-game has been on the Rift. It is not only an amazing visual experience, but it also gives you advantages in piloting, since it adds depth-perception and greater peripheral vision.

I tried playing on a monitor (60 inch LEDTV) once. It felt claustrophobic and boring. Trust me, the Rift changes everything about this game for the better. Just be sure you've got a graphics card that can do it justice. It works quite well with my TITAN X (older non-Pascal version).

Escussssssssssse, my dumbness but..........how does the old VR mask work with or without a screen, tweaking in options and how to see the HOTAS switches etc? Oh and I wear occupation glasses - to read and see the screen.

Cheers CMIV

Will it work well with a GTX970? I wouldn't mind tweaking the graphics options to a medium or moderately low setting.

Had an Oculus and sold it, for me it was a combination of poor visuals compared with my X34 screen and its so dam warm to wear on your head. This also restricts typing ability to new or existing cmdrs and felt awkward/cumbersome.

Dont get me wrong the sense of scale it gives you is breath taking and this alone is worth the experience, but for me i couldnt get passed the poor IMO graphics and lack of camera on the front to see outside the rift (would be a good addition) i know the vive has this but not sure its even as good as the rift for visuals.

As i say if the screens in the rift were 4K and it had an option to switch to an external camera for other commitments then i could see the charm but until later re visions its not for me.

I never had the touch controllers.

Slopey

Volunteer Moderator
Escussssssssssse, my dumbness but..........how does the old VR mask work with or without a screen, tweaking in options and how to see the HOTAS switches etc? Oh and I wear occupation glasses - to read and see the screen.

Cheers CMIV

You can change all the options from in-game in VR - it's a non-issue.

The whole point of HOTAS is you don't need to look at it - if you need to look at a joystick to see which button to press... you're doing it wrong.

I'd played a few hundred hours of ED before getting my Rift, had quite a few keyboard buttons mapped for different things. The HMD meant I didn't need a mouse look button on my HOTAS anymore, so that freed up one button. The Rift has a built in microphone and I've now got voice attack set up to take care of nearly all of my keyboard shortcuts.

Once you get used to not being able to see the keyboard it's still pretty easy to use. I use the keyboard for text comms while wearing my Rift.

Last edited:
Oculus + Touch for this price is absolutely stunning value! I paid nearly double that and I don't regret it one bit - totally worth every penny.

Will it work well with a GTX970? I wouldn't mind tweaking the graphics options to a medium or moderately low setting.

Yes, definitely. I started out with a 970. Thanks to a work bonus I splashed out a ludicrous amount of money on a 1080 but had it not been for that bonus I'd still be happily running the 970.

Non-VR user here: I don't need to see HOTAS, can do all the switches blindfolded. But indeed, what if you have to type a weird system name or something - what do you do, remove the headset enough to peek at the keyboard?

Non-VR user here: I don't need to see HOTAS, can do all the switches blindfolded. But indeed, what if you have to type a weird system name or something - what do you do, remove the headset enough to peek at the keyboard?

yes thats the scale of it which i found annoying

Peek through the nose gap at my backlit keyboard and type. Not ideal but it works well enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom