General / Off-Topic Forum Decorum!

A bit off topic, but it may serve to enlighten your communications on this forum.

In 1992, when email was a new thing, A few companies were concerned about how email content would be perceived by employees using it in a corporate or business environment, since it lacked the "personal face to face conversation and the facial expressions conveyed which gives a conversation a personal touch".

So, Microsoft, Yahoo and AOL conducted a survey using email by sending a simple statement to over 100,000 recipients and asking recipients to send the survey back.

The statement sent was the following:

"It will be sunny this morning and a nice day for a walk. This afternoon, it will rain and you might want to take an umbrella should you decide to go for a walk."

This is what they found.

1) 60% of the recipients found the email to be negative.
2) 30% of the recipients found the email to be positive.
3) 10% of the recipients found the email to be neutral.

So, they turned the email content around, and sent the following:

"This afternoon, it will rain and you might want to take an umbrella should you decide to go for a walk. It will be sunny this morning and a nice day for a walk."

This is what they found.

1) 60% of the recipients found the email to be positive.
2) 30% of the recipients found the email to be negative.
3) 10% of the recipients found the email to be neutral.

So, what does this mean. According to the Doctor of Psychiatry hired to analyze the results, he states:

Most people will remember and focus on the last thing they read in email and the last thing you said. If you start with a positive comment and end on a negative comment, that is what the recipient will focus on, the negativity you ended with, regardless of the fact you started on a positive note. Transversely, if you start with negativity, but end on a positive note, most recipients will view the content in a positive light, even though it contained negative content to start with.

What should you take away from this.

When composing statements either in a forum or in email, express your negative opinions first and try to end on a positive note. Your message will be perceived by a majority of the audience as positive most of the time. This is because the audience will remember and focus on the last thing you said because they do not have the benefit of witnessing your facial expressions.

"It will be sunny this morning and a nice day for a walk. This afternoon, it will rain and you might want to take an umbrella should you decide to go for a walk."

"This afternoon, it will rain and you might want to take an umbrella should you decide to go for a walk. It will be sunny this morning and a nice day for a walk."
Both negative for presuming to tell me what to do and assuming I've got an umbrella, even though none was attached to this email.

I found both statements to be simply pure information and the fact that they suggested carrying an umbrella to be considerate and very nice.

Being negative because it is raining is understandable, but it is a complete waste of psychological energy.

People have allowed tradition and the mass media to program their expectations.... in many cases to our detriment.

Please keep vigilant and protect your mind from careless assumptions and conditioning!

xoxo

o7

People have allowed tradition and the mass media to program their expectations.... in many cases to our detriment.
.... and they might then post something like this:

........ or.............

When composing statements either in a forum or in email, express your negative opinions first and try to end on a positive note. Your message will be perceived by a majority of the audience as positive most of the time. This is because the audience will remember and focus on the last thing you said because they do not have the benefit of witnessing your facial expressions.
(Actually I did read it).

Have a nice day.

My boiler is broken ATM, grandma told me to not pay rent till the owner fixed it but she remarked:

Don't say "I will not pay you the rent until you fix the boiler" but instead "I'll pay you the rent when the boiler is fixed".

There are exceptions.

If I thought I had won £ 1m in lotto and finally won only half, it's still positive in both cases.
The tragic thing is that you may be the exception, others may have felt "cheated" of the other half. There is a decided lack of gratitude in this world. And even if one does not believe in being grateful to some alien entity, a light overview of all the goings on on the entire planet could not but inform one how fortunate one is in the Western Hemisphere in comparison. For example, sure, there are biases against women in the United States that still need to be addressed, but I am also intimately aware that many many women around the world experience vastly more bias.

Both negative for presuming to tell me what to do and assuming I've got an umbrella, even though none was attached to this email.
Morbad Hunny Bunny,

Your reply was very funny. But is it possible to be just as funny and delightful in a less negative manner? I may be delusional, but it seems to me that cockiness and sarcasm are more likely to get laughs than optimistic gentle comments.

I am a wiseass and troll myself, btw. However, I have made a concerted effort to be less sarcastic and cynical and have found that my equanimity has somewhat improved.

ymmv

:)

o7

Morbad Hunny Bunny,

Your reply was very funny. But is it possible to be just as funny and delightful in a less negative manner? I may be delusional, but it seems to me that cockiness and sarcasm are more likely to get laughs than optimistic gentle comments.

I am a wiseass and troll myself, btw. However, I have made a concerted effort to be less sarcastic and cynical and have found that my equanimity has somewhat improved.

ymmv

o7
I think you may have answered your own question.

Morbad Hunny Bunny,

ymmv

o7
Your days are numbered Slange. I've constructed the perfect vessel for my CMDR to assassinate your CMDR, probably not to death, but quite possibly to an amusing ejection.

But this assumes that one has to care about how other perceive them and then take time out of their day to pander to that. It's a pass from me.
Fluffy kittens in a basket going mew mew.
I ignored the email, as I thought it had been forwarded to me by accident.
I am, however, interested in kittens, my own feline companion 'Tommy (are you sure that's not a dog) Kittle' departed three years ago, I feel I am now emotionally ready for a new co-pilot, or perhaps crew. Indeed.

The tragic thing is that you may be the exception, others may have felt "cheated" of the other half. There is a decided lack of gratitude in this world. And even if one does not believe in being grateful to some alien entity, a light overview of all the goings on on the entire planet could not but inform one how fortunate one is in the Western Hemisphere in comparison. For example, sure, there are biases against women in the United States that still need to be addressed, but I am also intimately aware that many many women around the world experience vastly more bias.
Those that would feel cheated; would be the same that 'have to buy' something; because it is 60% OFF.

Top Bottom