News Forum revamp coming soon!

I'll say that it's a good idea you're revamping things for the forums

the below item worries me tho.. as it appears this is the forum Frontier has grouped together for all the stuff you don't want to develop or fix anymore.

I'm hoping Will, Paige and FD devs are taking note and will announce what they are going to do with PP when the Glorious New Era™ dawns and shines its warming light onto our eager faces. Knowing our luck they will mention the shiny and forget about last year.

Are you putting PP, CQC, MC and BGS in the archive section ? with all the bug reports you have never looked into and fixed. Just wondering.

Last edited:
XenForo2 currently does not support user-settable posts/threads-per-page.
That's disappointing. I like having as many posts per page as the system will allow; makes quickly scrolling back through previous posts much pleasant, especially on a touchscreen device.

Now that there's a development version running, can you confirm what was speculated in an earlier support thread -- that there will be no equivalent of the currently broken Ignore Thread feature? I cannot express how much I miss that function.

Please include the Background Simulation subforum! We worked for years to go from a single forum thread to a sub forum, and please continue to do so. BGS is a major game feature that increasingly engages more CMDRs.

"PvP, Powerplay, and CQC will be merged into a new Playstyles section"

That seems very confusing to me. Why would you throw these three very separate things into a single section?

Oh, and please don't add "Background Simulation" to Playstyles section either. That would only confuse things further.

Please include the Background Simulation subforum! We worked for years to go from a single forum thread to a sub forum, and please continue to do so. BGS is a major game feature that increasingly engages more CMDRs.

"PvP, Powerplay, and CQC will be merged into a new Playstyles section"

That seems very confusing to me. Why would you throw these three very separate things into a single section?

Oh, and please don't add "Background Simulation" to Playstyles section either. That would only confuse things further.

Because all will be PvP?

Greetings Commanders,

We're excited to reveal that in a few weeks time, we will be upgrading the Frontier forums to a brand new system! This will allow us to modernize the forums, improve their accessibility, and help make it easier for you to participate in the discussions that matter to you!

Our new forums are set to go live at the end of March. We're working hard to ensure that your account details carry across and that there's be minimal disruption for you.

As part of the update we're taking the opportunity to streamline forum sections so it will be easier for you to navigate topics of interest. Here are some of the changes:

• New game-specific forums allowing you to focus on discussing the game that matters most to you;
  • Planet Coaster is joining the Frontier forums and will no longer be a separate site;
  • Streamlined forum sections so you don't have to check multiple areas to find the information you want;
  • Connect your Frontier account - one system for all your Frontier needs!
  • New forum options such as tags to improve searching for content and badges to unlock for participating;
  • Global Off Topic area.
We'll be removing inactive forum sections to make it easier to access all current discussions. The changes will be game-specific, so please check out these forum announcements in each game section to see what changes are coming to that game's forums. Here are the changes for the Elite Dangerous-specific section of the forums:

• All News sections will now be merged under one heading. Tags will allow you to locate Patch Notes or other news.
  • The Newcomers section will be merged with Guides;
  • The Special Events section will be removed;
  • Groups & Squadrons will become Groups, Squadrons and Factions;
  • Thargoids & Aliens will be renamed Thargoids and Guardians;
  • Community Goals will remain but Community Goal Archives, CG notes and Community Goal Submissions will be removed and merged with the main CG section;
  • Engineers will be merged with the Ships section;
  • PvP, Powerplay, and CQC will be merged into a new Playstyles section;
  • Horizons section will be removed;
  • Community Events & Creations section will be removed;
  • Player Tools & API will be merged into one section;
  • International Discussions will be removed as there are new, dedicated Frontier International sections;
  • Many inactive Private Forums will be removed;
  • Bug Reports and Support will be moved to their own dedicated websites.
In terms of Bug Reporting and Support systems, we will be launching a new, dedicated bug tracking website in order for us to make that process easier, better, and more manageable! You will be able to log issues as you're used to, and the community will be able to vote on your issue which will consider it confirmed - this means we can put more focus into examining the highest ranked issues.

Although we have made these changes to improve the functionality of the forums, please do be aware that we will still be fine-tuning going forward. Should changes be required we'll be able to alter this and add/remove new forum sections if necessary.

We're really looking forward to sharing these changes with you. If you have any concerns or queries please post them here and we'll do our best to answer them as soon as possible.
Thargoids and Aliens should be renamed just Aliens. Aren't there more aliens out there to discover or coming "soon (TM)"?

The old DDF section needs to be preserved and put into the Focused Feedback section and Suggestions could be put in the same folder. We need to keep all the legacy and current design discussion threads. There's a lot of goodness in there.

Text entry on the current software is horribly broken if you're using a swipey tablet keyboard. I actually complained about this last year and was told then this change was coming.

No themes? Well, if I had a vote, which doubtless I don't, I'd be voting early and often for black text on a white background.

Except maybe for JWE. After all, white text on a black background belongs to the Jurassic Age of computing.:)

Ah, the good old days of WordStar. None of your fancy modern Word Perfect and it's fancy-smanshy blue background!

I would agree with you if I didn't spend a lot of time reading forums late at night before trying to sleep, dark background is much better then.

In no particular order and without going into detsils:

1: Please have some version of the black-on-white pastel.
2: Plus 1 on the "don't do that hipster/kewl/awesome/"clean"/"flat" whitespace the whatever out of everything which renders a nice monitor pointless when looking at a website"
3: Please keep the rep levels somehow. I am non-sensically rather pleased with where I have got to :)
4: For the love of all thats good, plus one to not going down the Facebook route of "like" icons
5: My commander name and forum name are different, and I want to keep it thst way. I also absolutely do not want to link any account anywhere else to this one, including and especially my commander!

Thank you :)

Greetings Commanders,

We're excited to reveal that in a few weeks time, we will be upgrading the Frontier forums to a brand new system! This will allow us to modernize the forums, improve their accessibility, and help make it easier for you to participate in the discussions that matter to you!

Our new forums are set to go live at the end of March. We're working hard to ensure that your account details carry across and that there's be minimal disruption for you.

As part of the update we're taking the opportunity to streamline forum sections so it will be easier for you to navigate topics of interest. Here are some of the changes:

• New game-specific forums allowing you to focus on discussing the game that matters most to you;
  • Planet Coaster is joining the Frontier forums and will no longer be a separate site;
  • Streamlined forum sections so you don't have to check multiple areas to find the information you want;
  • Connect your Frontier account - one system for all your Frontier needs!
  • New forum options such as tags to improve searching for content and badges to unlock for participating;
  • Global Off Topic area.
We'll be removing inactive forum sections to make it easier to access all current discussions. The changes will be game-specific, so please check out these forum announcements in each game section to see what changes are coming to that game's forums. Here are the changes for the Elite Dangerous-specific section of the forums:

• All News sections will now be merged under one heading. Tags will allow you to locate Patch Notes or other news.
  • The Newcomers section will be merged with Guides;
  • The Special Events section will be removed;
  • Groups & Squadrons will become Groups, Squadrons and Factions;
  • Thargoids & Aliens will be renamed Thargoids and Guardians;
  • Community Goals will remain but Community Goal Archives, CG notes and Community Goal Submissions will be removed and merged with the main CG section;
  • Engineers will be merged with the Ships section;
  • PvP, Powerplay, and CQC will be merged into a new Playstyles section;
  • Horizons section will be removed;
  • Community Events & Creations section will be removed;
  • Player Tools & API will be merged into one section;
  • International Discussions will be removed as there are new, dedicated Frontier International sections;
  • Many inactive Private Forums will be removed;
  • Bug Reports and Support will be moved to their own dedicated websites.
In terms of Bug Reporting and Support systems, we will be launching a new, dedicated bug tracking website in order for us to make that process easier, better, and more manageable! You will be able to log issues as you're used to, and the community will be able to vote on your issue which will consider it confirmed - this means we can put more focus into examining the highest ranked issues.

Although we have made these changes to improve the functionality of the forums, please do be aware that we will still be fine-tuning going forward. Should changes be required we'll be able to alter this and add/remove new forum sections if necessary.

We're really looking forward to sharing these changes with you. If you have any concerns or queries please post them here and we'll do our best to answer them as soon as possible.

So just in time for Season 4 to drop then? ;)

Top Bottom