Forum revamp coming soon!

Will Flanagan

Product Manager
Frontier
jketlo01.png

Hello everyone,

We're excited to reveal that in a few weeks time, we will be upgrading the Frontier forums to a brand new system! This will allow us to modernize the forums, improve their accessibility, and help make it easier for you to participate in the discussions that matter to you!

Our new forums are set to go live at the end of March. We're working hard to ensure that your account details carry across and that there's be minimal disruption for you.

As part of the update we're taking the opportunity to streamline forum sections so it will be easier for you to navigate topics of interest. Here are some of the changes:

• New game-specific forums allowing you to focus on discussing the game that matters most to you;
  • Planet Coaster is joining the Frontier forums and will no longer be a separate site;
  • Streamlined forum sections so you don't have to check multiple areas to find the information you want;
  • Connect your Frontier account - one system for all your Frontier needs!
  • New forum options such as tags to improve searching for content and badges to unlock for participating;
  • Global Off Topic area.
We'll be removing inactive forum sections to make it easier to access all current discussions. The changes will be game-specific, so please check out these forum announcements in each game section to see what changes are coming to that game's forums. Here are the changes for the Frontier-specific section of the forums:

• Games by Frontier Developments will be one forum section instead of one for each of the older games and will be renamed 'Other Frontier Games';
  • A new International forum will be added for discussion of Frontier games;
  • There will be a global Off Topic section instead of one per game section;
  • The 'Astronomy' and 'Hardware' forums will be removed with their discussions now welcome in Off Topic;
  • Support will now have its own dedicated site and will no longer require a forum.
In terms of Bug Reporting and Support systems, we will be launching a new, dedicated bug tracking website in order for us to make that process easier, better, and more manageable! You will be able to log issues as you're used to, and the community will be able to vote on your issue which will consider it confirmed - this means we can put more focus into examining the highest ranked issues.

Although we have made these changes to improve the functionality of the forums, please do be aware that we will still be fine-tuning going forward. Should changes be required we'll be able to alter this and add/remove new forum sections if necessary.

We're really looking forward to sharing these changes with you. If you have any concerns or queries please post them here and we'll do our best to answer them as soon as possible.

I really don't envy whoever is doing this...this is decidedly non-trivial stuff...

Scene: Office. A person (Colleague 1) is under a desk.

FX: *sobbing noises*

Colleague 2: What's up with him?
Colleague 3: Something bad.
Colleague 2: Did you release a bad software patch?
Colleague 3: Nope.
Colleague 2: Previous patch still causing bindings issues?
Colleague 3: No. Well yes, but it's not that.
Colleague 2: You don't mean..?
Colleague 3: Yes - we're migrating from one forum platform to another.
Colleague 2: ...
Colleague 3: ...

FX: *sobbing intensifies*

Last edited:
  1. Will all inactive forums in the Elite Dangerous Archives be removed completely, or archived somewhere for posterity? You know I'm thinking of the Elite DD(F|A), but also the good old Private Backers' Forum, newsletters and dev updates, and the 'interregnum' pre-dangerous forums where a few dedicated acolytes guarded the flame of Elite 4. There's historical value there.
  2. Will there be private forums going forward, ie PBF and 3rd party devs?

Disappointed to see the Astronomy forum doing down the pan. This has always (well nearly always) been a repository of interesting and sensible material, free from the nonsense and tin-foil-hattery that is so prevalent in the current off-topic forum, which no doubt isn't going to improve.

The same is true of the Hardware forum - it has been a great place to discuss technical and equipment matters. It is very unfortunate that this will also be drowned in nonsense.

Lastly - "Connect your Frontier account - one system for all your Frontier needs!" - so what about those of us with multiple Frontier Accounts?

(Don't get me started on the "Badges" - eugh!)

*Connect your Frontier account - one system for all your Frontier needs!

Seems like a good idea.

Is that the Frontier Store account?
I have three of those for my three Cmdrs, does that mean I will be able to heckle myself on the forums? :D

Brett C

Frontier
*Connect your Frontier account - one system for all your Frontier needs!

Seems like a good idea.

Is that the Frontier Store account?
I have three of those for my three Cmdrs, does that mean I will be able to heckle myself on the forums? :D

That would be correct, you will be able to login to the Forums with your FrontierStore.net account.

As for secondary accounts... well, the mods won't be too pleased to see that. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom