Forum Ship of the Year 2017: Round 2 - Exploration Ships

Welcome CMDR's,

To round 2 of the Forum Ship of the Year 2017! Today's round is all about exploration. When venturing out into the black you can of course take any ship from a Sidewinder to a Type 10 however some are better then others for long distance journey's. For this round every ship is a contender...

The question is, which one do you think is best?

Rules for this and the following rounds are that which ever ship wins this class will be moved forward to the grand final where all the winning ships and the SRV will be voted on by you the CMDR's to give us a winner by the 1st of January.

Votes will be tallied through the day and this round will end in approx. 24 hours with round 3 starting on Boxing Day. Thanks in advance to everyone taking part.

2 x iCutter
11 x Anaconda
5 x Asp X
8 x DBX
2 x iCourier
3 x Type 10
1 x FDL
1 x Orca
1 x Eagle
2 x iClipper
1 x Corvette
2 x Keelback
1 x Vulture
1 x Cobra MkIII
1 x Dolphin
1 x Asp
1 x Type 7
1 x DBS
1 x USS Voyager - Alien was made to say this by Tj. :D

And the winner is... The Anaconda although the DBX came a close second. Also nice to see the Type 10 is has been well received.

[video=youtube;pBUdCv9OOcU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBUdCv9OOcU[/video]

Round 3 will begin on Boxing day. Have a great Christmas everyone!

Last edited:
The Dolphin.

Fully engineered the range isn't bad (I make 49ly with some fuel management), and if you've ever tried turning around in SC in a 'conda, you will really appreciate the Dolphins nimble handling in SC and normal space.

The landing legs are well spaced and hold ship well off the ground, I've never gotten my SRV stuck under my own ship. Because she's small, it's easy to find somewhere to set down on rough terrain.

The limitation to a size 4 fuel scoop is no where near as dramatic a handicap as it is for the DBX, since the FSD is also smaller. Splash and dash does work in a Dolphin, you just need to keep an eye on the fuel gauge.

Oh yes, she is pretty. So if you want to visit the far reaches of the galaxy, in a Dolphin you can do it with style and exuberance.

Even if i leave the bubble with my anaconda i'm sure that the asp-x will be my next choice. The shorter trips i made with the asp showed that a large Cockpitwindow is not neglactable.
Somehow it doesn't feel right to explore in a small ship if you spend month in it. And from time to time it's nice to jump in a slf and explore some canyons...naag i will take the anaconda again...[big grin]

Diamondback Explorer gets my vote.

Good range with enough compartments for my overnight bag, flip-flops and compendium of board games.

Anaconda with AspX a close second. Best jump range in the game and enough slots to carry everything you need to not have to return for years if you want.

DBX. Great range and nimble. The small fuel scoop is offset by the great heat management, allowing you to engage FSD while scooping. Also, looks good.

Diamondback Explorer. Great jump range without having to make excessive concessions like you do with an Exploraconda.

I simply like having the ability to reach the maximum possible locations. Perhaps I will find myself near a void with few stars one day? Anaconda can't be beat at that point. And you know, it can carry everything.

Imperial Courier, for these reasons:

It's a beutiful ship.

It can fit everything you need in.

It's small, so it's easy to land on a planet.

It jumps roughly 32 ly.

It fuel scoops fairly well.

I made a 2000 ly or so round trip in mine, and it did very well, except when I scooped an Unknown Artefact and Probe.

However, I made over a million credits on a trip to the Plieades and back in my FDL! Exploration in the FDL is profitable, but really, I vote Courier.

About to arrive at Sag A in an Annie, so I think it gets my vote. Just. 64.10 jump range with light shield and SRV is pretty good going!

I actually like the DBX after hating it for so long. However, AspXs are still awesome ships.​

The Imperial Courier!

He may not have the stats and whatnot of other ships but I had such a great time with this super fast littler ship on my 10 months trip to Beagle Point and back. If you are like me and like to race around on planets here and there hes great, if you also like to look for volcanism he is doing a great job at that thanks to how fast you can cover a lot of ground.
Speed and handling are just top notch and makes for good times out in the black.

Type 10 without a shadow of a doubt - great view and semi-decent range, plus you can carry everything you could possibly need!

Welcome CMDR's,

To round 2 of the Forum Ship of the Year 2017! Today's round is all about exploration. When venturing out into the black you can of course take any ship from a Sidewinder to a Type 10 however some are better then others for long distance journey's. For this round every ship is a contender...

The question is, which one do you think is best?

Rules for this and the following rounds are that which ever ship wins this class will be moved forward to the grand final where all the winning ships and the SRV will be voted on by you the CMDR's to give us a winner by the 1st of January.

Votes will be tallied through the day and this round will end in approx. 24 hours with round 3 starting on Boxing Day. Thanks in advance to everyone taking part.

U.S.S. Voyager (and yes, I am serious)

Orca. Pretty much the same range as an Asp Explorer, good view from the cockpit and an even better view from external camera (most beautiful ship in the game IMHO).

More importantly it handles really well in both SC and high G planets (something which neither the AspX or Conda do)

Top Bottom