found a terraforable planet orbiting a black hole

Regardless of the orbits, an alignment at some point seems inevitable.
I agree with you about the focal point though.

We'd need more info about the black hole and the star.
I think the only thing we can infer is that the black hole is more massive than the star (based on the BH being the primary object).

don't know if this helps I dug this one up

A bit of research and I found something I should have figured out myself.

A black hole acting as a gravitational lens doesn't have a focal length as such.
The amount the light is deflected depends on how far it passes from the black hole, so there is a 'focal line'.

N6Fna.gif

So what we end up with are the incoming EM radiation passing the black hole out as far as the radius of the secondary star.
The blue lines passing close to the event horizon will have large deflections, and the lines further away smaller deflections.

The only question that leaves is where on that dotted line the planet is, and how much of that focused EM radiation will be deflected on to it compared to how much is being directly blocked by the BH and its event horizon.

A bit of research and I found something I should have figured out myself.

A black hole acting as a gravitational lens doesn't have a focal length as such.
The amount the light is deflected depends on how far it passes from the black hole, so there is a 'focal line'.

N6Fna.gif

So what we end up with are the incoming EM radiation passing the black hole out as far as the radius of the secondary star.
The blue lines passing close to the event horizon will have large deflections, and the lines further away smaller deflections.

The only question that leaves is where on that dotted line the planet is, and how much of that focused EM radiation will be deflected on to it compared to how much is being directly blocked by the BH and its event horizon.

this is so interesting and the answer would require... math..

and an understanding of where the event horizon is on this specific hole. either the planet is dodging a space bullet or as was said is going through "the great conjunction" ( dark crystal reference. note there is three suns in the system lmao )

and an understanding of where the event horizon is on this specific hole. either the planet is dodging a space bullet or as was said is going through "the great conjunction" ( dark crystal reference. note there is three suns in the system lmao )

Thankfully you may be surprised to find that the in-game exclusion zone of a given black hole is around the same size as its Schwarzchild radius, at least it was accurate when I checked it against one or two small black holes I came across ages ago. Basically you drop in, hit the exclusion zone, target the black hole and check the distance, and you can check that against the Schwarzchild radius of a black hole that size using the internet - it should be very close.

It's these kind of tidbits of information that really impress me about the Stellar Forge. That we can explain many in-game features so accurately with real astrophysics.

Last edited:

I've been trying to do the maths but to be honest I'm struggling a bit.

I have the Schwarzchild radius of a 2.6 solar mass BH at 4km, and estimating the radius of the K-star at about 500,000km

So I'm trying to calculate the deflection angles for 2.6 solar masses at those distances from a point mass to get the maximum deflection angle at the event horizon and the minimum deflection angle for light at the K-star radius from that point mass.

angle = 4GM/c2b where b is the distance of the passing light from the point mass

That's where I'm losing my thread with the calculations.

If you can work out the angles you'll be able to use trig to find a minimum and maximum focal length.
I'm convinced that the planet at ~1M km from the black hole is in between and would get a distinct ring effect during the eclipse resulting in a massive spike in EM radiation, which even for a short period of time would have a significant impact.

zcG2Ub2.gif

Last edited:
“And here’s your weather. It will be cold today. Sunrise won’t happen, sunset won’t happen, and remember kids, don’t stare directly at the black hole, or it will suck out your soul.”

I've been trying to do the maths but to be honest I'm struggling a bit.

I have the Schwarzchild radius of a 2.6 solar mass BH at 4km, and estimating the radius of the K-star at about 500,000km

So I'm trying to calculate the deflection angles for 2.6 solar masses at those distances from a point mass to get the maximum deflection angle at the event horizon and the minimum deflection angle for light at the K-star radius from that point mass.

angle = 4GM/c2b where b is the distance of the passing light from the point mass

That's where I'm losing my thread with the calculations.

If you can work out the angles you'll be able to use trig to find a minimum and maximum focal length.
I'm convinced that the planet at ~1M km from the black hole is in between and would get a distinct ring effect during the eclipse resulting in a massive spike in EM radiation, which even for a short period of time would have a significant impact.

zcG2Ub2.gif

4km? I'd be very interested to see whether my assertion about the exclusion zone in-game was correct in this instance.

If someone is heading to this black hole, please do drop in and hit the exclusion zone, and let us know how close it says you are.

View attachment 140313

Composite of these three images: Cartograpics, Picture, and Orrery.

When I arrived it was on the outside of it's orbit at a little over 50ls. I took a shot of the body behind the black hole, but it's completely unimpressive. I'm gunna stick around for a while to perhaps get a better picture of the black hole and planet together - looks like I need about two days before it comes in real tight.

yes not the fanciest black hole from my memory haha ! just glad I found something neat haven't been playing long didn't know if this was common or not !

Top Bottom