Found an interesting issue with the Explore the Galaxy followup mission for beginners.

When I was last in the starter area, you could take that mission but not go and do it yet. Go to another station and get offered another mission for a different system, but not go and do it yet. Go to another station etc etc. I got a million credits for leaving the starter zone. Pretty sweet bribe :p

I just checked this - it doesn't work. Once you accept the mission it doesn't appear on other stations' mission boards.

I find people who call others nitpicky usually don't care much for the wider picture beyond their own experience. But it's all fine, I'm happy it works out this way. 😄

I was actually trying not to be rude - but hey if you cannot admit that your premise was wrong, that is your issue - deflecting that by casting aspersions on others is, well, I won't be rude.

Unlike any other profession, one could feasibly gather and drop enough data leave the Starter Zone as Elite in exploration.

I suppose so but since you cannot have a DSS then it would be an incredible grind to earn enough by FSSing in a D-rated Hauler for example.

Nope - only if you land

/thread
No you don't lose the permit if you wander outside the zone. Only docking outside makes you have the permit withdrawn.

I have several times wandered out to do some FSSing (you can't buy a DSS in the noob-zone) - sold the carto data on return.

So @Harrowdown - your premise is incorrect, you do not need Horizons to advance in exploration without losing the permit.

My mucking-about-in-the-noob-zone commander is Surveyor rank.
Yes.

You have to dock outside the zone to lose the permit. Simply flying to another system won't trigger it.

I know this, because I "donated" 1 void opal to a friend of mine when he was first starting out, and he went back to the Pilot's District to sell it. We met outside the zone.

Congratulations ! You have received the rare, and coveted, DEV likes from Dominic (y).... these should be made tradeable in the Forum for ARX :D

I've now successfully managed to play the 'intended' way. I kept docking at Ceohlo Station, avoided using the SRV and it took maybe twenty minutes get that first Explorer rating. The payout was so low I couldn't purchase even half of the next-cheapest ship :LOL:. It was kinda challenging since there are quite a few unscoopable stars around the PFD and the Sidewinder's fuel tank is easily emptied.

I could have moved on right there, do the explore the galaxy quest and rake in bigger bucks elsewhere, but I decided I should at least try to buy any of the other available ships in PFD, like an Adder. The price for one has never looked higher. o_O

It's kind of neat. I imagine progressing through the game this way is closer to what progression used to feel like, before it became so much easier to earn credits. Exploration just doesn't seem to have been rebalanced as much as the rest of the game.

Last edited:
I've now successfully managed to play the 'intended' way. I kept docking at Ceohlo Station, avoided using the SRV and it took maybe twenty minutes get that first Explorer rating. The payout was so low I couldn't purchase even half of the next-cheapest ship :LOL:. It was kinda challenging since there are quite a few unscoopable stars around the PFD and the Sidewinder's fuel tank is easily emptied.

I could have moved on right there, do the explore the galaxy quest and rake in bigger bucks elsewhere, but I decided I should at least try to buy any of the other available ships in PFD, like an Adder. The price for one has never looked higher. o_O

It's kind of neat. I imagine progressing through the game this way is closer to what progression used to feel like, before it became so much easier to earn credits. Exploration just doesn't seem to have been rebalanced as much as the rest of the game.

What do you mean play the intended way? Did you leave the PF for FSS?

Top Bottom