Four sided midway games a programmers nightmare?

I was wondering if the reason we don't have them is because how much trouble they would be to program. Paths becoming clogged with people standing. Guest coming up from four sides, game vendors crossing from one side to the other. Outside of the game area guest interacting with inside of game area objects. Toss rings, basket balls, etc. At the most we could hope for on this would probably be a one sided area approach to midway games. Like hat,food, or drink stands.

I was wondering if the reason we don't have them is because how much trouble they would be to program. Paths becoming clogged with people standing. Guest coming up from four sides, game vendors crossing from one side to the other. Outside of the game area guest interacting with inside of game area objects. Toss rings, basket balls, etc. At the most we could hope for on this would probably be a one sided area approach to midway games. Like hat,food, or drink stands.

I'm sure it's probably possible. Not a nightmare as such, and there's nothing to say it's not being considered.

I would be happy to settle for one sided over 4 sided. After all one sided is 100% better than Zero.

four sided midway games? confusing LoL just call them game stands, they dont have to be four sided?? Just build 4 of them back to back if you want....

Actually, I hadn't thought about all the animations. In older games like theme park the game stands didn't require much animation. If PC added games and they acted similar to the food stands, then it really could be a lot of work otherwise the guests wont actually "play" the games they will just stand there for a minute watching and then win a prize. Hrmmm, I was kind of hoping it could be better but, now I don't really want them.

I've been thinking about games a lot, and I would rather hope they put them into a DLC add-on or a full expansion so that they can put the extra time and effort into them. Cuz I want them to actually be playable in first person [big grin]

Last edited:
I've been thinking about games a lot, and I would rather hope they put them into a DLC add-on or a full expansion so that they can put the extra time and effort into them. Cuz I want them to actually be playable in first person [big grin]

haha, you're criticizing the possible lackluster outcome of something they haven't even talked about before. I see your point in a sense, but what's to say they aren't already working on something and it's looking great behind the scenes? Saying things should be pushed to a DLC scares me because who's to know if that form of DLC ever comes to fruition. The first DLC will likely be more themed base and less about objects like midway games. Then likely another with a waterpark type aspect with a couple more themes. I personally would like to hear Frontiers thoughts on things like midway games before we start saying stuff like push it to a a future DLC. Games and stalls like photo booths and arcades would add some much needed diversity to the rides that take up a lot of realestate and currently are all just metal objects spinning around.

I personally feel like there should be a whole other tab for more entertainment based structures like midway games, a cinema (could be a ride), show stands, an amphitheater, old times photo studio (could change to ski fi photo depending on what theme you choose), aquarium maybe. There is a whole range of items that aren't thrill rides that would really diversify the game. Half of an experience of a theme park to me growing up were the random stalls and attractions along the walkways to other big rides.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's probably possible. Not a nightmare as such, and there's nothing to say it's not being considered.

Nightmare is a little much! Just said that because of all of the animations that would have to interact with each other.

four sided midway games? confusing LoL just call them game stands, they dont have to be four sided?? Just build 4 of them back to back if you want....

Actually, I hadn't thought about all the animations. In older games like theme park the game stands didn't require much animation. If PC added games and they acted similar to the food stands, then it really could be a lot of work otherwise the guests wont actually "play" the games they will just stand there for a minute watching and then win a prize. Hrmmm, I was kind of hoping it could be better but, now I don't really want them.

I said 4 sided because a lot of midway games are played from all 4 sides. Ring toss, plastic ball in goldfish bowl, etc.. Game stall works too. But their are a lot of midway games that are played from the front only. Water guns, basket ball, darts, etc.

Id love to see midway games and skill challenges in the game. Like you said though, I'd rather see it later on in a DLC or expansion pack so they can play with the idea a bit more and polish it before just throwing it out to the players. Basketball hoops, Tower of Power strength tests, Balloon popping/dart toss, heck even a dunk booth would be a lot of fun to watch!

Id love to see midway games and skill challenges in the game. Like you said though, I'd rather see it later on in a DLC or expansion pack so they can play with the idea a bit more and polish it before just throwing it out to the players. Basketball hoops, Tower of Power strength tests, Balloon popping/dart toss, heck even a dunk booth would be a lot of fun to watch!

I'm hoping they have already been working on it and polishing it.

Whatever they do I hope they figure it out. I want this more than anything else.

Well the obvious solution would be to have it's own section of path around it that can connect with the rest of the paths... Kind of like how the queue lines can connect with any side of a flat ride...(But without the bother of placing the gate first.)

I am not bothered if there are non in honesty. I have never played one at a theme park tbh so don't see need for them here either. If they come out as a DLC then fair enough.

I am not bothered if there are non in honesty. I have never played one at a theme park tbh so don't see need for them here either. If they come out as a DLC then fair enough.

I don't play them either, however they are at all most every one of them and as a Park management game they bring in income and it's something else to manage.

I don't play them either, however they are at all most every one of them and as a Park management game they bring in income and it's something else to manage.

Honestly I haven't noticed them at least not at Thorpe Park which is the most local to me. But yeah I have no issues with them as such. Just feel flat rides, coasters and then management structures come first then this which is why I would be happy with DLC later on.

Honestly I haven't noticed them at least not at Thorpe Park which is the most local to me. But yeah I have no issues with them as such. Just feel flat rides, coasters and then management structures come first then this which is why I would be happy with DLC later on.

That's a cute little park. Let me tell you a park without chance games is an extreme rarity. When you get a chance go to other parks.

on another thread someone else mentioned they are not at parks because it wasn't at their local park either (it could be the same park). Then people started listing all the parks they are at. Even Walt Disney World has them.

Check out the thread an you will see picture after picture of large, extremely popular parks's chance games.

https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/5313-Game-Stalls

That's a cute little park. Let me tell you a park without chance games is an extreme rarity. When you get a chance go to other parks.

on another thread someone else mentioned they are not at parks because it wasn't at their local park either (it could be the same park). Then people started listing all the parks they are at. Even Walt Disney World has them.

Check out the thread an you will see picture after picture of large, extremely popular parks's chance games.

https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/5313-Game-Stalls

Oh I am sure there are. Just was surprised when it was brought up the first time. They were not at Disney Paris when I went last time either but that was years back and I don't remember them in Florida but was 11 then so may have just missed them all [big grin]

Just didn't know they was so popular or common.

Oh I am sure there are. Just was surprised when it was brought up the first time. They were not at Disney Paris when I went last time either but that was years back and I don't remember them in Florida but was 11 then so may have just missed them all [big grin]

Just didn't know they was so popular or common.

They have them in Dinoland at Animal Kingdom in Disney World Florida but I don't think they exist in any other Disney park.

Top Bottom