FPS's - Why Am I So Rubbish

I used to be King of the Hill back in the early day's of Rainbow Six (late 90's). But now in my mid 50's I'm completely rubbish.
Put few hundred hours into PUBG and every time it's the same: Jump out of plane > Find gun > Die.

Anyone else think age is directly proportional to being rubbish at FPS's :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here. I grew up on a BF1942 mod called Desert Combat playing CTF all night long. Counterstrike. CoD, then when BF2 came along it all went downhill fast.
I used to have lightning fast reflexes. Nowadays?? Well I used to be able to drop a pencil on a planet at 0.6g and still be able to catch it before it hit the floor. Now I'm lucky if I can get it at 0.2g.......
51 btw.
Stick to Tetris.....

Yep.
Recently tried Apex Legends. With similar results to yours.
It has several reasons.
1) Range. Most fights in PvP FPSs take place at ridiculous ranges and my eyesight simply isn't good enough (as well as my monitor is only 1080p). I simply can't even see the person who sniped me from a distance, while their aim is pixel-precise.
2) Speed. My reaction time is awful. Aiming, finding cover, situational awareness,... all suck in equal measure.
3) I just can't be bothered! I'm not competitive. I don't do adrenaline. If I were able to hype myself for a fight, I'm sure I'd be more successful, but when somebody starts shooting at me, my typical reaction is: "Oh well, whatever"

I do like PvE FPS, though, but it has to be something my speed. When I can sneak around and eliminate opponents at my leisure, play tactically, etc. I can enjoy a good fight. But it has to have a slower pace.

The only FPS I play as PvE is Call of Juarez Gunslinger, but thats down to the Wild West scenario and a more sedate playing pace more than anything.
Hmmm, just realised that the only games I play are 'old frontier' and 'new frontier'

I used to be King of the Hill back in the early day's of Rainbow Six (late 90's). But now in my mid 50's I'm completely rubbish.
Put few hundred hours into PUBG and every time it's the same: Jump out of plane > Find gun > Die.

You're playing a particularly difficult genre there really anyway so it's hard to judge. I'd say you are probably not as bad as you think but Battle Royale genre can make you feel very poor alot of the time.

I do think we lose that "twitch" as we get older but we also get smarter I feel. I'm a long time player of the Battlefield series and the most recent, BFV, is quite demanding with its quick time to kill. I enjoy it though playing and analysing where the effective flanks are and using them instead of just relying on trying to twitch my way through the game. I'm almost always in the top 5 after round because I play the match objectives and play the role effectively rather than worry about my k/d ratio.

Perhaps try BFV.

Any decent PvE FPS you can recommend?

The obvious ones - Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel, Bioshock Infinite, Dishonored 1 and 2, Prey
I don't play many multiplayer games.
Recently I tried Division 2 (though it's 3rd person, so I don't know if it counts for you) and it's really good. Haven't touched PvP in it, though and probably never will. Haven't even been in Dark Zone yet. But the PvE, both single and coop feels great.

I’m going to go out and say Counter Strike GO.

Been playing CS for about 20 years and it keeps the skills sharp (40 now).

Yeah you’ll die a fair bit to start with, but I swear there is no better FPS for making you better at all other FPS games.

Short rounds and a good variety of maps and skill levels.

And stick to casual games, the competitive side take it far too seriously.

I was a big fan of CS.
And i switched to WoT due to increasing age delay.

Any decent PvE FPS you can recommend?

Not exactly FPS, as its third person, but Fortnite Save the World is coop/PvE and good fun. Fair warning, its quite grindy though, but there again many good games are. Lots of good players out there, although you have to watch out for the traders, griefers, and espcially AFKers/leechers. Most of the time they are just a minor annoyance.

And yeah, i'm not as good as i used to be with FPS games. I was never an outstanding FPSer or PvPer, but i could hold my own. These days i'm not as good (almost 50 myself), perhaps in part due to not playing so many PvP games and keeping my skill up, but also pretty sure eyesight and reactions come into it as well.

I still do a bit of PvP from time to time. Fortnite (Battle Royale) and last year i played Paladins quite intensively, but not so good at them. Also I do enjoy a bit of CQC from time to time.

But i'll never be king of the hill, i never was.

Actually, thinking about it, its actually a good response to those people who scream git gud in relation to ED. Simply say to them, "One day, you will be as old as I am, and i hope when you are, someone tells you to git gud"

Last edited:
This is why I like games like Overwatch, because it's a "thoughtful" FPS with different roles. Can't win in a fast draw contest? Then don't play McCree, don't play Widowmaker, instead play D.Va or Bastion or a multitude of other characters.

"Fast draw" FPS also depends heavily on latency. Somebody with fiber to the home will win over someone playing over ADSL even if the ADSL player has slightly better skills and reflexes.

Watching people play FPS makes me wonder how they can process what is happening on the screen so quickly.

This is why I like games like Overwatch, because it's a "thoughtful" FPS with different roles. Can't win in a fast draw contest? Then don't play McCree, don't play Widowmaker, instead play D.Va or Bastion or a multitude of other characters.

"Fast draw" FPS also depends heavily on latency. Somebody with fiber to the home will win over someone playing over ADSL even if the ADSL player has slightly better skills and reflexes.

Try World of Warships, now that's a slo-mo relaxing shooter, especially with battleships. :)

Watching people play FPS makes me wonder how they can process what is happening on the screen so quickly.

I was watching a guy called ChocoTaco on his PUBG stream and thinking exactly the same thing. His situational awareness was spooky, he was like "there's someone in the next building - second floor - third window from right - (he's a Gemini and goes bowling on Wednesdays)" and I'm lucky if I can figure out which direction West is :)

Going to check out some of the games mentioned above.
Glad I'm not the only one who struggles at times.

I just noticed this is now on PS4! I'm indeed going to download it someday. Is it online-only, or can one play against bots as well?
Not sure about the PS4 but you can play with human teammates against AI enemies on PC.
And yes, I can also only recommend WoWs as a great relaxation (mostly). It's a gentleman's PvP game in its core.

Top Bottom