FPS's - Why Am I So Rubbish

I've seen it explained in a way that as you get older, one year becomes a smaller fraction of your life (for a 10y/o, year is a 1/10th of their life long, for a 50y/o it's 1/50th) so that kind of makes sense.
But when Y2K came, I said "damn it's already ten years since 80s, and I still kind of have this feeling when I see year 20xx, although it's now twenty. :LOL:
There have been studies that show that persons normal worldviews "freeze" in their late teens and early twenties. Afterwards, you filter out what you don't like.

Still, I find good books, games, and TV nowadays. Music sucks, though... :)

There have been studies that show that persons normal worldviews "freeze" in their late teens and early twenties. Afterwards, you filter out what you don't like.

Its a constant thats been picked up by quite a view books so far. The older you get the less adaptable you become. You think more often of "the good old days" and have problems adjusting to changes in society or technical advancements. I m at a point where certain "improvements" dont hit me as such. There are things out there representing a new trend that I simply dont understand as they leave me confused. Why do we need to invent new words and terms when established ones do the job? So I refuse to use them but doing so only demonstrizes how I m unable to cope whereas in younger years I probably would have embraced such change (clothe fashion is a great example too)

Vampire novels used this fact to weave in the view of an immortal which I personally find fascinating. Living forever is one of humanities dreams. Nobody wants to die...but things change when you get older because life at 99 isnt as much "fun" as it is when you are 25. Now vampire novels describe entities that walk through a world they dont understand anymore. They come from an age where most services of today were either not existing or they didnt need em in the first place because they had the required skill to overcome problems (think of what you gonna do if all supermarkets close or there are no craftsmen around to do all the things you need doing all of a sudden). It probably wouldnt be as bad if everybody would life forever but immortality was usually investigated from the viewpoint of an exception. One immortal in a sea of day flies. One week from now all your friends are dead, all their children and childrens children are dead. Instead the world is filled with strangers who talk funny, have very strange views and go down a route you cannot understand. Are you really going to adapt to THEM when YOU are the superior one? Are you really going to think you are wrong when you have lived a thousand times longer then anybody else on the planet? Other people are infants compared to you. Their believes, their knowledge....its laughable compared to you.

My wifes father has worked all his life as an electrician and I consider him technically very adapt even tho he isnt as agile as I am when it comes to online media or technical gadgets. Now his SON who is about 34 years younger chose the same profession as his father and they regulary clash whenever there is a project in the house that requires an electricians touch. Who takes the lead? Why cannot they use the same terms? The father approaches things as he did all his life and that enabled him to provide for his family. He will not budge on certain steps and how to do them. While his son who studied a more "advanced" version disregards his views as outdated and tells him that "this is how we do things today dad".

And this is a single generation..it gets more extreme the wider the age chasm with a max of about 70 years today.

The responsible factor in all this is of course age and physical deterioation. If we all stayed 22 forever I have no doubt that we would keep our vigor, our adaptability etc. But even if our bodies stay young the MIND ages. If it didnt that would mean we couldnt change, couldnt develop so as I see it growing older and becoming "stiffer" when it comes to new stuff is a fact and constant that will continue. Whoever today thinks "oh the old people always preaching about the golden days and complaining how everything was better in their time but cannot use a smartphone".....I promise you....you will be at the exact same point in 40 or 50 years...maybe...if you are willing to self-reflect and be honest with yourself (a lot of people never grow up) but if you dont accept this you will just become resentful and angry.

Awww sorry for the rant...its a question I was spending a lot of time on while cycling :)

Not all music sucks. :)
But it's definitely a hard work to sift through all the garbage to get to the good stuff.

It's both good and bad, this.
In the old days one has to sign up with the label to get published. That meant there was a quality control, but sometimes even a decent musician, if they were unlucky, didn't make it through. And the fact that publishers wanted to earn money, there was a strong insentive to follow trends.

Nowadays everybody can publish themselves. That is bad, of course, as we are suffocated by an avalanche of crap, but sometimes there is a gem of a musician who wouldn't get noticed in the old days because they're maybe not so mainstream but otherwise very good.

So yeah. It's an investigative work and sometimes makes you feel filthy but the good music is still there. Somewhere. :LOL:

Last edited:
I think most middle aged people look back at a youth they "wasted". We'd all like to go back then and do it all again with knowledge we have today. Of course, we're really just wishing we were someone else. Which we are not, and cannot be.

As an exemplum Personally. I considered a service career at around 17 and didn't do it because the gulf war was kicking off about then, and it was hard to tell what kind of war it would be. But with the benefit of hindsight that might have been a very good path to take, given my circumstances at the time.

This is why time travel never works.

I could go back to a much younger me, and show the mistakes, and, hopefully, make better calls.
But the person I was at the time would not listen...and resent the advice and warning calls.

Oh. Eternal life might be a curse.
I'd settle for handing over the national lottery numbers, personally.

I'm 53 now and completely suck at fps games by now.
My son plays COD once in a while and when we go against eachother I constantly get killed, and he only uses a knife for Pete's sake.
It's definitely the age and my eyes deteriorating, so no more fps for me, games like assassin's creed are okay but those fast moving shooters, I'm out.
Red Dead Redemption 2 is a dream with it's snap to target though.

Oh well there are plenty of other games that I like and I never was a real fan of fps games anyway.

Its a constant thats been picked up by quite a view books so far. The older you get the less adaptable you become. You think more often of "the good old days" and have problems adjusting to changes in society or technical advancements. I m at a point where certain "improvements" dont hit me as such. There are things out there representing a new trend that I simply dont understand as they leave me confused. Why do we need to invent new words and terms when established ones do the job? So I refuse to use them but doing so only demonstrizes how I m unable to cope whereas in younger years I probably would have embraced such change (clothe fashion is a great example too)

Vampire novels used this fact to weave in the view of an immortal which I personally find fascinating. Living forever is one of humanities dreams. Nobody wants to die...but things change when you get older because life at 99 isnt as much "fun" as it is when you are 25. Now vampire novels describe entities that walk through a world they dont understand anymore. They come from an age where most services of today were either not existing or they didnt need em in the first place because they had the required skill to overcome problems (think of what you gonna do if all supermarkets close or there are no craftsmen around to do all the things you need doing all of a sudden). It probably wouldnt be as bad if everybody would life forever but immortality was usually investigated from the viewpoint of an exception. One immortal in a sea of day flies. One week from now all your friends are dead, all their children and childrens children are dead. Instead the world is filled with strangers who talk funny, have very strange views and go down a route you cannot understand. Are you really going to adapt to THEM when YOU are the superior one? Are you really going to think you are wrong when you have lived a thousand times longer then anybody else on the planet? Other people are infants compared to you. Their believes, their knowledge....its laughable compared to you.

My wifes father has worked all his life as an electrician and I consider him technically very adapt even tho he isnt as agile as I am when it comes to online media or technical gadgets. Now his SON who is about 34 years younger chose the same profession as his father and they regulary clash whenever there is a project in the house that requires an electricians touch. Who takes the lead? Why cannot they use the same terms? The father approaches things as he did all his life and that enabled him to provide for his family. He will not budge on certain steps and how to do them. While his son who studied a more "advanced" version disregards his views as outdated and tells him that "this is how we do things today dad".

And this is a single generation..it gets more extreme the wider the age chasm with a max of about 70 years today.

The responsible factor in all this is of course age and physical deterioation. If we all stayed 22 forever I have no doubt that we would keep our vigor, our adaptability etc. But even if our bodies stay young the MIND ages. If it didnt that would mean we couldnt change, couldnt develop so as I see it growing older and becoming "stiffer" when it comes to new stuff is a fact and constant that will continue. Whoever today thinks "oh the old people always preaching about the golden days and complaining how everything was better in their time but cannot use a smartphone".....I promise you....you will be at the exact same point in 40 or 50 years...maybe...if you are willing to self-reflect and be honest with yourself (a lot of people never grow up) but if you dont accept this you will just become resentful and angry.

Awww sorry for the rant...its a question I was spending a lot of time on while cycling :)

Great post, I am already going through some of what you talked about, the thing I cant wrap me head around is the streaming thing. Theres a entire generation of people who just sit and watch someone else play a game. I just dont get it. I cant stand when someone tells you to go watch a youtube video to learn how to play a game lol. Whats the point of even playing in the first place if your just going to watch someone else do it. /endrant =D

Great post, I am already going through some of what you talked about, the thing I cant wrap me head around is the streaming thing. Theres a entire generation of people who just sit and watch someone else play a game. I just dont get it. I cant stand when someone tells you to go watch a youtube video to learn how to play a game lol. Whats the point of even playing in the first place if your just going to watch someone else do it. /endrant =D

I agree with you, my son can watch others play for hours on youtube, I rather play the game myself but he says he's learning to get better by viewing and trying it himself later. He plays a lot of Rocket League and I think he's in the highest rank atm.
I do watch videos prior to buying a game though, a trailer only shows so much, some actual game play realy shows me what the game is about.

I agree with you, my son can watch others play for hours on youtube, I rather play the game myself but he says he's learning to get better by viewing and trying it himself later. He plays a lot of Rocket League and I think he's in the highest rank atm.
I do watch videos prior to buying a game though, a trailer only shows so much, some actual game play realy shows me what the game is about.

Agree, Im talking about "gamers" whos session is just watching someone else play for the most part.

It makes sense watching a superior player could make you better, you can watch anothers performance and gain perspective / strategy. I mean I get it from that angle. I guess its like watching tv.... Idk. Just a weird fad to me that doesnt make sense to me but things change.

I get using it to get some intel on something, I just watched Obsidian Ants videos on Space Engine before I bought it which was great.

I guess maybe its kind of the gap between tv and playing a game, except the show is about something your interested in so you can watch someone else do it...

Idk, just crazy to me 😁

Have to love this forum. Someone comes on here asking for some pointers for PUBG.

"Of course. We'll help by exploring the transient nature of humanity in a post-modern world".

"uh.... okay, then.... I guess...."

I've started to do the uneasy maths of "how much time have I got left". At 45 i'm probably more than half-way through my life. I probably have another 30 years left or there abouts. So you work it out - think back to when I was 15 (1989ish). That's how long I've got left... and these days weeks pass like days used to. It doesn't seem long at all before I'll be answering one of the great mysteries of existance but be tragically unable to tell anyone about it who doesn't also already know. What the hell did I do with that youth I had last week? Is that a scythe I hear being sharpened?

It comes as a shock when you realise you probably already peaked, yes this really is what you've become and there are people on the internet who do things that baffle you who have, nonetheless, earned more by the time they leave school than you ever will in your short, pathetic life. Ah, well. There's "Doom Eternal" coming out in a few months to look forward to. Although, frankly, playing that too much might seriously influence the answer to that big question you've been wondering about so much recently. perhaps a nice game of chess instead?

I just hope I get space legs before I go.

yeah. Remember the good old days when Simulation games were judged on the size of their manuals?

Even a basic FPS had a small novella and a key guide in the box.

Ah settling in with a nice instruction manual, those were the days 😁

When I bought games in the past they came in a big box and I always looked inside first to see how much documentation was included, or a keyboard overlay for my Commodore 64.
I uttterly fell in love with my first Elite, an instruction manual, a ship recognision poster, a keyboard overlay and to top it off a novell!!!

The good old days, sure games are much prettier now but we didn't have anything else and many games back then definitely had a lot more soul.
I remember playing Temple of Apshai, a dungeon crawler back then with a good friend of mine, hours upon hours we stared at small pixelised characters and imagined them to be big monsters.
The text blocks describing the rooms helped a lot crancking up our imagination.

A lot of games these days give a quick fix but lack the substance to draw you in deep.
They look very pretty and sound great too but imho gameplay is the most importand part, the stuff that made you come back every spare minute you had.
Multiplayer was something we didn't even think about back then, just as dlc's or microtransaction, you bought a game and that was it, you got all there was to it.

I still love gaming but sometimes I miss the good old days.
Especially when I see how gamedevs or publishers try to milk every last penny out if their players.
Or when games are released in an abysmal state to be fixed once enough people bought it, or not at all.
Gamedevs didn't get away with half baked or bad designed games in the old days, people simply didn't buy them, i.e. the ET game by Atari.
Nowadays devs get away with far to much without any real consequences imho, that state tends to make them even more sloppy and lazy, people will buy anything these days.

Have to love this forum. Someone comes on here asking for some pointers for PUBG.

"Of course. We'll help by exploring the transient nature of humanity in a post-modern world".

"uh.... okay, then.... I guess...."

I've started to do the uneasy maths of "how much time have I got left". At 45 i'm probably more than half-way through my life. I probably have another 30 years left or there abouts. So you work it out - think back to when I was 15 (1989ish). That's how long I've got left... and these days weeks pass like days used to. It doesn't seem long at all before I'll be answering one of the great mysteries of existance but be tragically unable to tell anyone about it who doesn't also already know. What the hell did I do with that youth I had last week? Is that a scythe I hear being sharpened?

It comes as a shock when you realise you probably already peaked, yes this really is what you've become and there are people on the internet who do things that baffle you who have, nonetheless, earned more by the time they leave school than you ever will in your short, pathetic life. Ah, well. There's "Doom Eternal" coming out in a few months to look forward to. Although, frankly, playing that too much might seriously influence the answer to that big question you've been wondering about so much recently. perhaps a nice game of chess instead?

I just hope I get space legs before I go.
A nice game of chess...I have this one sat on an old table in my front window. I never learned to play chess...but it's there to make occasional passers by think I'm intelligent :geek:

Last edited:
Jeez mucker...do yourself a favour and Learn. It's a great game best played with friends on a rainy Sunday afternoon in the conservatory.

Top Bottom