Freesync and microstststststuttters.

This is pretty weird. I've just bought myself a new Monitor (27", up from 24" - both 1080p) and I figured that since I have an AMD graphics card I would give freesync a try, since the additional cost is negligible.

Well.....

I think I just broke every non-adaptive monitor I'll ever use for gaming.

Literally 25 fps looks like 60 usually does. Judder, screen tear, stuttering, lag - all gone!

But the really, really weird thing is that Elite's microstutters have been all-but eliminated by it. When previously they were bad enough to be irritating and distracting, now they're just barely noticeable flickers. The frame rate used to jump about during the microstutters when entering a station or coming out of hyperdrive and it was really, really noticeable - now it's just a barely noticeable waver. My guess is that the underlying cause is still there, but because the monitor copes so much better with the fluctuating frame rate it's much, much less noticeable. You'd think the larger screen would make it more noticeable, too. The weirdly disconnected feeling I got from driving the SRV with Vsync on - that's a thing of the past. It now feels smooth, responsive and precise. In terms of smoothness and graphical performance I'd say this is actually a more significant upgrade than going from the R9 270 to the RX470 I did in the summer (it's cheaper, too, as it was £130 quid on Amazon). Frame rates have not gone up but, by god, they lows are FAR less intrusive. FPS isn't everything, it would appear.

Seriously. If you're thinking of getting a new monitor, get an adaptive-sync one (AMD Freesync or NVidia GSync - depending on your graphics card).

And I wonder if this suggests anything interesting about the cause for the Microstutters. I wonder if they got to production because FD are going to be developing the game on some fairly tasty kit - possibly with adaptive sync monitors?

Yeah I couldn't live without Freesync now. Though even with Freesync on + Vsync on + refresh set to 60Hz (even though my monitor is 75Hz) I still get micro-stutters (judder). The following post by Support may be of interest to you.

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this information has been made available to you yet but I'd like to keep you in the loop. A brief skim over the thread and the forums suggests this information may not have been provided to you yet so here's some additional information for you. I hope it helps :)

The clever guys who've been looking into this, partly due to the development process in VR and partly due to bug reports and discussions (heavily including this forum thread) have allowed us to locate a set of circumstances that causes a short stutter. This stutter most often ranges from 1 to 2 graphical frames in length and at worst, can occur every few seconds or so, when the game runs at higher than 60 frames per second.

The reason this particular stutter arises is, in simplified terms, due to how Elite Dangerous handles the processing of the physics. The engine processes each steps in the physics 60 times per second to synchronise smoothly with the average 60Hz monitor refresh rate. If you are running Elite Dangerous at exactly 60 frames per second with V-sync (or G-sync/Freesync) enabled then you shouldn't ever really see this particular stutter in action.

So how do you know if this is the stutter that's affecting you? Well this particular issue needs some knowledge about framerates and whatnot to look into but if you're familiar that (as a lot of you in this thread seem to be) then here's what to look for:
- There are ZERO dropped frames, the frame-rate counter in-game will show no apparently frame-rate drop.
- There appears to be a frame-rate drop visually, it's extremely short and in testing has lasted from 1 to at most, 4 frames in duration
- The stutter generally becomes more apparent as you raise your FPS.

Why does it happen? Well the physics behind the game needs to be calculated in a step-by-step process as do all things in the 3D simulations. We currently re-calculate the position of objects in space based on inputs, AI, et cetera, 60 times per second. If you're currently rendering the game graphically at 144 frames per second to match your monitor's silky smooth refresh rate then what can happen is that the one of those physics frames is not interpolated quick enough for the next few graphical frames the game is about to render. The game won't stop rendering frames to your monitor of course since you'd see a black screen so it simply goes on with life assuming that the latest physical frame it has access to.

What you see is all 144 frames each second rendered without a hitch (graphically speaking) but 1-4 of these might be calculated from the previous physics step instead of a newly updated correct step. The visual effect for example in a station (which is constantly rotating) is that the rotation of your ship, the other ships inside the station, and the station itself seem to stop still for a fraction of a second and then resume, often with a jarring movement (especially if you rotate your ship in the opposite direction to the station's rotation).

Can you solve this? Well, not really. It's on our list of things we really want to improve but it's extremely low level code and will take some digging and lots of testing to work and re-work until it's sorted. You can get around this specific stutter though by enabling V-sync (or even better, G-sync/Freesync if you are lucky enough to have those options available) and setting the game's frame limit to 60 to match the physics step. Alternatively 120 can often provide the smoothness you're looking for whilst reducing the likelihood of the game missing a physics update for more than a very minor single frame.

Be aware that this does not cover all bases, I'm simply putting the information out there about one specific and verified cause for a stutter in Elite Dangerous. The nature of stutters means that they're very difficult to diagnose and, though we regularly build and test identical machines to Commander's PCs that report stuttering we often find zero visual problems. I hope the above information, though lengthy, goes some way to helping you guys stay up to date with our investigations and perhaps diagnose if this is something you're experiencing or not.

Fly safe.

Just thought. Using drfc might be better than an out and out limit on Fps, as that will cool the card down and allow boost to be used more easily

I recently switched from Nvida to AMD due to a very generous donation from a friend, and it's been a bit bumpy of a transition so far. The card is great! Much better than what I had before (was on 750ti, now on r9 285) but there are times where i just have to constantly restart my pc until certain things start to work. I'm sure there is a lot of user error causing this, because I'm simply not that familiar with AMD graphics settings.

This PDF from AMD shows various correct settings for using Freesync, for example if to have vsync on or off

http://www.amd.com/Documents/freesync-lfc.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

I recently switched from Nvida to AMD due to a very generous donation from a friend, and it's been a bit bumpy of a transition so far. The card is great! Much better than what I had before (was on 750ti, now on r9 285) but there are times where i just have to constantly restart my pc until certain things start to work. I'm sure there is a lot of user error causing this, because I'm simply not that familiar with AMD graphics settings.

Have you properly removed the old NVIDIA drivers?

If installing a different card whether its the same maker eg Nvidia or AMD, or moving from one to the other, its highly recommended to completely remove all trace of the previous cards software to prevent it causing issues

The below programme is a popular programme to use

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Ive never really noticed it before but since i started doing wings ive seen more and more a strange case where my audio begins to break up and my video lags out and pauses for a moment. Never had it until i started wings recently and it got so bad at one point i couldnt keep on targets as the rendering got so bad. Usually im at 100+ FPS and have a decent build so i dunno if its related.

This PDF from AMD shows various correct settings for using Freesync, for example if to have vsync on or off

http://www.amd.com/Documents/freesync-lfc.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

Have you properly removed the old NVIDIA drivers?

If installing a different card whether its the same maker eg Nvidia or AMD, or moving from one to the other, its highly recommended to completely remove all trace of the previous cards software to prevent it causing issues

The below programme is a popular programme to use

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
I've been through and done all of that jazz, so there is no nvidia stuff on my computer. I'm talking mostly about silly things, like I cant have Vsync on in the control panel with DOOM running in vulkan, or else the fps will tank to 10fps. Turning vsync off will remedy that, mostly. Introducing a second monitor into the mix has been a severe headache so far, where as with nvidia products i could just hook it up, and be good to go.

Last edited:
Top Bottom