Frontier add EDDB to the game

I think is about time that Elite made its own EDDB, I'm really surprised that they haven't add it yet. why they haven't done this at this point is beyond me.

Lestat

Banned
You could save frontier time and Use Tablet or Cellphone to access third party Sites and let Frontier work on the game.

The fact that Elite pumps out all this data, and fdev allows and encourages those sites to be developed is great. And those sites are quite detailed. It may make more sense if they made them officially linked sites, if they aren't already.

Lestat

Banned
The fact that Elite pumps out all this data, and fdev allows and encourages those sites to be developed is great. And those sites are quite detailed. It may make more sense if they made them officially linked sites, if they aren't already.

A question comes up. What happens if the people who run the sites Stop running it? What will frontier do? Buy them out? Make their own sites.

That why Tablet would be the best idea.

A question comes up. What happens if the people who run the sites Stop running it? What will frontier do? Buy them out? Make their own sites.

Yes, there are a number of sites that have been started and vanished or simply stopped updating, incorporating a third party site into the game just brings up all sorts of problems. There is the new codex coming up in the quarter 4 update that may help, but the only real way to incorporate something like eddb is for frontier to take over and run it themselves, and it would cause a huge amount of ill will if they were to just up and grab it against the wishes of the current owners.

I think is about time that Elite made its own EDDB, I'm really surprised that they haven't add it yet. why they haven't done this at this point is beyond me.

Elite: Dangerous would be dead without third party tools and the strong community. Embarrassing but true. :)

Saving grace is this official forum.

Quite Frankly,

Regardless of the existence of third party sites nowadays ... It is still inexcusable for Frontier to provide their players with so little built-in tools to find whatever they are looking for in a MILKY WAY SIZED PLAYGROUND of all things.

Goddammit ... I'll never get over it.

One thing is for sure.

The third party tools - EDDN/B and Inara among the most important but not only ones - have become indispensable.

I do not even wanna think about how gameplay was without them.

Yes, ideally all of that functionality should be provided in game but considering the (obvious) resource constraints in all other places I am deeply grateful what a countless number of honorary altruistic people have achieved.

Kudos to all of them!

yes they should buy it, and find away to implement it on their game. i dont see nothing wrong with paying those altruistic people that put the time to make the game work. and without these sites the game would probably tank like a 500 ton brick to the bottom of the ocean.

EDDB, Inara, Coriolis are all so easy to use and intuitive.

Truly wish FDev would incorporate them into the game.

Lestat

Banned
I think the question really is. How many gamers left the game because everything was handed to them on a silver spoon? Meaning third-party sites gave them all the answers. Think about it. They use those sites until they got everything they wanted. So the game was shorter to them. Vs players like me who rarely visit them or don't use them. I have been playing on day one.

I am sickened that people need to use youtube and third-party sites and such to finish a game. The question Becomes. Are you really playing the game? Or is it the third party sites playing the game for you.

It kinda word games. You're given 4 to 5 Letters and it your job to make as many real words with those 4 or 5 letters. Then you log on a scrabble site type in those 4 5 letters because you are too lazy to solve them your self and get all the combinations of the words.

Are you truly playing the game? I think the Answer is No. It the same with Elite Dangerous and the third party sites.

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I think the question really is. How many gamers left the game because everything was handed to them on a silver spoon? Meaning third-party sites gave them all the answers. Think about it. They use those sites until they got everything they wanted. So the game was shorter to them. Vs players like me who rarely visit them or don't use them. I have been playing on day one.

I am sickened that people need to use youtube and third-party sites and such to finish a game. The question Becomes. Are you really playing the game? Or is it the third party sites playing the game for you.

It kinda word games. You're given 4 to 5 Letters and it your job to make as many real words with those 4 or 5 words. Then you log on a scrabble site type in those 4 5 letters because you are too lazy to solve them your self and get all the combinations of the words.

Are you truly playing the game? I think the Answer is No. It the same with Elite Dangerous and the third party sites.

Very well said.

I don't use those sites. I have EDDiscovery for my personal records and I look at the Canonn site every now and then to refresh myself after I've been on a long journey. It's odd to watch people demanding that all this instant detailed information should be available to the in game so they don't have to think about anything, while forgetting 2 points.

The first you've already mentioned. The second is that Frontier don't want to make the game like that. And amazingly, despite being doomed for over 4 years, we're still here :)

Lestat

Banned
Damn, I can't rep you. :( Ozric. I think the other thing is. We have the older players that did not have the handholding. When we started playing Games in the 1980's. We did not even have Internet :eek:. So we had to learn to play the game.

Today. It people have mistaken third party sites as a needed requirement. But in fact, a luxury that not really needed.

It kinda word games. You're given 4 to 5 Letters and it your job to make as many real words with those 4 or 5 letters. Then you log on a scrabble site type in those 4 5 letters because you are too lazy to solve them your self and get all the combinations of the words.

is very romantic idea but without third party websites and youtube videos, there would be even less players in Elite Dangerous. players have been leaving Elite because they are just bored of the grind. The first goal of many players is to get their first conda or any other big 3, but after that whats next. not much in the endgame department with the exception of exploration and is not everybody cup of tea.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
is very romantic idea but without third party websites and youtube videos, there would be even less players in Elite Dangerous. players have been leaving Elite because they are just bored of the grind. The first goal of many players is to get their first conda or any other big 3, but after that whats next. not much in the endgame department with the exception of exploration and is not everybody cup of tea.

LOL. Seriously? Did you even look at what type of game Elite was before you brought it?

"Grind" is entirely subjective. If the first goal in a game is get to the end quickly, then you're just proving the point.

Oh and Elite has no "end game". Never has, never will.

Lestat

Banned
is very romantic idea but without third party websites and youtube videos, there would be even less players in Elite Dangerous.
I think you have that backwards. We are losing players because of third party websites give too much info. Because it makes the games way too easy. Then they leave the game because they finished everything in a short amount of time.

players have been leaving Elite because they are just bored of the grind. The first goal of many players is to get their first conda or any other big 3, but after that whats next. not much in the endgame department with the exception of exploration and is not everybody cup of tea.
I started looking at the Engineering and started doing that. Thing is I don't need a third party site to hold my hand. I have been playing since 2014 Unless you count the other 3 Elite games. Then off and on since 1984

Last edited:
LOL. Seriously? Did you even look at what type of game Elite was before you brought it?

"Grind" is entirely subjective. If the first goal in a game is get to the end quickly, then you're just proving the point.
a

yea im aware very what type of game is elite or at least i feel confident enough to know it, but by all mean please tell me what type of game it is.

oh and btw i said first goal not end goal, wish confuses me because now you are saying:

If the first goal in a game is get to the end quickly

but then you say

wish one is it.

another thing your comment reminded me of a WoW vanilla Elitist, a lot of "do you even" followed by any excuse of your choosing such in your case
"Grind" is entirely subjective
since when grind is subjective? grind is the amount of time you have to spend on a task to obtain something,
in other words Grind +Time=Reward there is good grind and there is bad grind; elite choose the latter. there is no abstract concept to this bruh, is clearer than a sunny day in the desert .

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
yea im aware very what type of game is elite or at least i feel confident enough to know it, but by all mean please tell me what type of game it is.

oh and btw i said first goal not end goal, wish confuses me because now you are saying:

but then you say

wish one is it.

another thing your comment reminded me of a WoW vanilla Elitist, a lot of "do you even" followed by any excuse of your choosing such in your case
since when grind is subjective? grind is the amount of time you have to spend on a task to obtain something,
in other words Grind +Time=Reward there is good grind and there is bad grind; elite choose the latter. there is no abstract concept to this bruh, is clearer than a sunny day in the desert .

End as is in the 3 big ships, as you refer to them inferring that they are the end goal in terms of getting ships. I personally don't own any of the 3 big ships, after almost 4 years of playing, because I prefer flying medium/small ships they handle much nicer.

Grind is a term used in a disparaging way to indicate gameplay that people don't like. I say grind is entirely subjective, because I enjoy playing the game and have not felt pressured into doing anything to achieve anything. You take the game at the pace that you want, if you want to slog it out to specifically get something and devote all your time to that, like focusing on deeds in LOTRO for example, then you'd probably think that was also bad grind. You could take engineers as an example. One of my ships is fully engineered the others only really have the FSD done (which is a lot easier now you can pin blueprints), but I didn't say I need this upgrade now so I'm going to spend hours looking for the specific components, I just play the game and had most of what I needed. The small amount of time I put into specifically focusing on the bits that I was missing gave me more than enough reward for my effort. All of the information for which is in the game.

I would however argue that a sunny day in the desert would likely produce mirages. Not very clear, in fact it would be rather misleading.

You could save frontier time and Use Tablet or Cellphone to access third party Sites and let Frontier work on the game.

+1 Not everybody has a high end pc ect. and i use only 1 screen, and i have 4 of the same.
Instead i have 2 very old computers and 2 new ones- one with windblows and all the others with linux.
The old ones give me the data i need for when i play elite...one of them, the other is reserve.
My windblows is only for games and should only be for that, that is al what it's good for...for now.
Just buy a second-hand and install the lightest linux on it and GO...you wish that you never had played before [yesnod]

Top Bottom