PvP Frontier created PVP gankers. By design.

So I wanted to hear the real negative on this proposal, but for some reason it is not.
Thus, it is easy and simple to end gankers in the game and increase piracy.
I think you're missing the point that there can be many other reasons for a CMDR attacking another CMDR beyond Piracy or "Ganking".

Also, the game doesn't differentiate between CMDRs and NPCs - are you suggesting that the same penalties be applied to a CMDR who destroys an NPC ship without scanning their cargo?

EDIT: Also, to be "arrested" would be a significant immersion breaker! I have NEVER attacked another CMDR that didn't attack me first, but I would 100% oppose this suggestion

I understand correctly that my proposal has no disadvantages and can be published in the suggestions section?

1) Even if an idea has disadvantages it ought to be put in the suggestions section. I doubt that there's any perfect solution, and just because nobody's quickly replying to you doesn't mean there aren't any disadvantages
2) There's still a lot of parts of your proposal that are confusing
  • "special forces" - When you said this, I thought you just meant system authorities that are slightly more dangerous. Is this what you mean?
  • "arrest"- How does this work? If the NPC manages to beat the PC in combat, do they simply knock out the power on their ship (or similar) instead of blowing them up?
  • "prison"- When you said this, I assumed you meant the same place you go if you pay fines. Is this what you mean?
Then there's other things:
  • How does your system apply to suicidewinders and other potential tricks folks might use to sic system authorities on another player? Don't assume that this is easy to debug/fix by Fdev, since it's clearly against the spirit of the game but hasn't been fixed after 5+ years.
  • How do you deal with two players who are friends and want to PVP each other? Or even strangers who both agree to PVP and are not part of powerplay? Are they both arrested, or only the one who shot first?
  • How is this affected by if I decide to preemptively attack someone I know to be a ganker/pirate, assuming they don't currently have a bounty, but I know they sit in Deciat or elsewhere all day? Am I now going to be arrested?
  • What's your estimate on how long everything you've described would take to code, test, and implement in production?

How does it deal with someone I know is working against me in the BGS, for instance someone that's bounty hunting without a KWS in a system that I'm trying to flip, and thereby supporting the controlling faction?
edit: in fact, forget the bounty hunting - if I'm attacking a system's BGS in general through the medium of violence and a hollow-box target of opportunity happens to present itself, that's not ganking for the lulz, it's playing the BGS. The action is very difficult to distinguish from a gank.
The ultimate flaw in any automated system to punish "ganking" is that it's the intent that's the problem.

Last edited:
The ultimate flaw in any automated system to punish "ganking" is that it's the intent that's the problem.
Exactly this. Just a couple of days ago, I went bounty hunting at a CNB in my fully G5 Corvette. A group of the wanted ships there were attacking a poor little Cobra. I brought all my weapons to bear on the wanted Anaconda that was leading the attack, and the Cobra just happened to fly into the path of destruction...

Instantly I've got a bounty and notoriety. In the suggestion put forward, I would entirely lose my G5 Corvette? Erm, no thanks!

I think you're missing the point that there can be many other reasons for a CMDR attacking another CMDR beyond Piracy or "Ganking".

Also, the game doesn't differentiate between CMDRs and NPCs - are you suggesting that the same penalties be applied to a CMDR who destroys an NPC ship without scanning their cargo?
Yes. Because NPC when attacking YOU always scans YOU and if you are empty, it swears and flies away. Someone wrote that there should not be a division on the NPC and human!

"special forces" - When you said this, I thought you just meant system authorities that are slightly more dangerous. Is this what you mean?
Yes. Well any ships that YOU can't get away from and that will always kill YOU.
"arrest"- How does this work? If the NPC manages to beat the PC in combat, do they simply knock out the power on their ship (or similar) instead of blowing them up?
Maybe I didn't understand you. You are killed, you are reborn in the nearest prison, YOU lose your ship completely.
How does your system apply to suicidewinders and other potential tricks folks might use to sic system authorities on another player? Don't assume that this is easy to debug/fix by Fdev, since it's clearly against the spirit of the game but hasn't been fixed after 5+ years.
I don't quite understand YOU, and how that relates to this question, need more detail.
How do you deal with two players who are friends and want to PVP each other? Or even strangers who both agree to PVP and are not part of powerplay? Are they both arrested, or only the one who shot first?
Lots of options, agree to meet in anarchy, both take a cargo scanner and 1t of anything, etc.
And when a contracted battle it should be to the death?
How is this affected by if I decide to preemptively attack someone I know to be a ganker/pirate, assuming they don't currently have a bounty, but I know they sit in Deciat or elsewhere all day? Am I now going to be arrested?
Is it clean?

How does it deal with someone I know is working against me in the BGS, for instance someone that's bounty hunting without a KWS in a system that I'm trying to flip, and thereby supporting the controlling faction?
edit: in fact, forget the bounty hunting - if I'm attacking a system's BGS in general through the medium of violence and a hollow-box target of opportunity happens to present itself, that's not ganking for the lulz, it's playing the BGS. The action is very difficult to distinguish from a gank.
Read my post carefully, it's right next to PP vs BGS

Exactly this. Just a couple of days ago, I went bounty hunting at a CNB in my fully G5 Corvette. A group of the wanted ships there were attacking a poor little Cobra. I brought all my weapons to bear on the wanted Anaconda that was leading the attack, and the Cobra just happened to fly into the path of destruction...

Instantly I've got a bounty and notoriety. In the suggestion put forward, I would entirely lose my G5 Corvette? Erm, no thanks!
Are you sure he asked for help?
If you decide to help someone and accidentally kill him, does that make him feel better who killed him?
Maybe he thinks YOU helped them.
Under the new rules, you'll be 100% right if you take a scanner, scan Cobra and see that it's empty and watch as after killing Cobra they arrest all these guys.

Are you sure he asked for help?
If you decide to help someone and accidentally kill him, does that make him feel better who killed him?
Maybe he thinks YOU helped them.
Under the new rules, you'll be 100% right if you take a scanner, scan Cobra and see that it's empty and watch as after killing Cobra they arrest all these guys.
I really wasn't trying to help him, as such. I was BOUNTY HUNTING - he just got in the way, of his own accord. For all I know, he committed suicide. Nothing I could do about it really - it was merely an unfortunate accident. Why would I have scanned a ship I had no interest in? Why would I carry a cargo scanner when I have no interest in the cargo of ANY other ships?

This was just a recent example, but there are many, many other examples of why your idea is not a workable option.

Having said that, please could you explain how this "arrest" works? I know others have asked, but you've not explained. There is no such mechanism in the game at present.

Ah, see I'm unfamiliar with BGS. This is also an important consideration, since unlike Powerplay participation is not tracked by Fdev.

Yes. Well any ships that YOU can't get away from and that will always kill YOU.
I strongly disagree. "Rocks fall everyone dies" is awful game design. If you want to prevent a player from doing something in a game, you make it mechanically impossible. If you want to deter a player, you present them with a credible, difficult obstacle that has a chance of being overcome. Anything else is sadism.

Maybe I didn't understand you. You are killed, you are reborn in the nearest prison, YOU lose your ship completely.
That makes sense. So it's a normal death + teleport. You always lose your ship when you die, so this is fine.

I don't quite understand YOU, and how that relates to this question, need more detail.

Suicidewinders pick cheap ships and ram into players who are speeding by a station. This kills the suicidewinder, and causes the speeding player to gain notoriety for murder (And then get attacked by station security). This means that players affected by this type of griefing are subject to the same consequences as gankers in your scenario

Lots of options, agree to meet in anarchy, both take a cargo scanner and 1t of anything, etc.
And when a contracted battle it should be to the death?

Makes sense to me, but this is needlessly complicated for others

Is it clean?

?????

I really wasn't trying to help him, as such. I was BOUNTY HUNTING - he just got in the way, of his own accord. For all I know, he committed suicide. Nothing I could do about it really - it was merely an unfortunate accident. Why would I have scanned a ship I had no interest in? Why would I carry a cargo scanner when I have no interest in the cargo of ANY other ships?

This was just a recent example, but there are many, many other examples of why your idea is not a workable option.

Having said that, please could you explain how this "arrest" works? I know others have asked, but you've not explained. There is no such mechanism in the game at present.
A bounty hunter is a mission and it doesn't fall under this rule, read my suggestion.
No, I'm making a suggestion.

A bounty hunter is a mission and it doesn't fall under this rule, read my suggestion.
No, I'm making a suggestion.
No, a bounty hunter is NOT a mission. Bounty hunting is merely blowing up "wanted" ships - sometimes accidents happen. The noteriety gained for this is punishment enough for an ACCIDENT. Losing one's ship for this would be ridiculous. Also, as others have stated, the "rocks fall, everyone dies" is so immersion breaking it's laughable.

No, a bounty hunter is NOT a mission. Bounty hunting is merely blowing up "wanted" ships - sometimes accidents happen. The noteriety gained for this is punishment enough for an ACCIDENT. Losing one's ship for this would be ridiculous. Also, as others have stated, the "rocks fall, everyone dies" is so immersion breaking it's laughable.
I don't understand YOU, you can think whatever you want, you can think YOU are a bounty hunter but until you have permission to do so in the form of a mission you are outside the law

Top Bottom