Game Discussions Frontier Developments signs a multi-year game licence with Formula 1 - first (of four) F1 management games for PC & console due for 2022 F1 season

F1 and Codemasters should never be mentioned in the same sentence. Ever.. (except this one)
I dunno, i thought bugs and what not the franchise had a rockystart with them (ai cars not pitting etc) but do you really think the recent games are that bad?

(for the record, the last one i bought was .... 2016 i think and i have not played them that much.......... but they look pretty, run well, are bug free now and i personally think strike a nice balance between sim and arcade.. other than no VR support - which is why i now refuse to buy them - i am not sure how anyone else would do better.

and even if someone could....... it would not be Frontier Developments........ IMO The only thing that could be done better for F1 for some people would be to go hardcore sim route, but that wuld make it super niche and looking at how Elite Dangerous has changed over the years, FD are clearly aiming for main stream and not a niche.

I dunno, i thought bugs and what not the franchise had a rockystart with them (ai cars not pitting etc) but do you really think the recent games are that bad?

(for the record, the last one i bought was .... 2016 i think and i have not played them that much.......... but they look pretty, run well, are bug free now and i personally think strike a nice balance between sim and arcade.. other than no VR support - which is why i now refuse to buy them - i am not sure how anyone else would do better.

and even if someone could....... it would not be Frontier Developments........ IMO The only thing that could be done better for F1 for some people would be to go hardcore sim route, but that wuld make it super niche and looking at how Elite Dangerous has changed over the years, FD are clearly aiming for main stream and not a niche.

To be fair to Codemasters, their rally titles are OK. I'm having a blast with Dirt Rally, but something is just really out of wack with their F1's.
They just don't feel right. I play rFactor2, Assetto and R3E as my driving sims so maybe that has something to do with it. X.

To be fair to Codemasters, their rally titles are OK. I'm having a blast with Dirt Rally, but something is just really out of wack with their F1's.
They just don't feel right. I play rFactor2, Assetto and R3E as my driving sims so maybe that has something to do with it. X.
I love dirt rally 2.... and have actually uninstalled RBR rally (with VR mod) now as i doubt i will play it again.
Assetto Corsa is a great game and whilst i did back the 2nd AC game (the moment they added VR support) i have never installed it... too many games not enough time!.

The only F1 that needs to be talked about...MicroProse Grand Prix 2 By Geoff Crammond.
lol I wonder if my PC could finally run Monaco in high res mode under 100% cpu occupancy? ;)

I had a love hate relationship with F1GP... I loved it because it was a great game. I hated it because GC spending all his time on that series meant he never got around to making stunt car racer 2. (one of my top 5 all time fave games)

Signed up an account just to say how excited I am for this, always love management sims. Stumbled across Grand Prix World and still playing it 22 years later. I’d love something like that without the 10’year cap. With mods that happened in recent years it reinvented the game. Such as changing formula for car design to be weighted between TD and CD with a random factor added in.

MM is ok but so shallow and easy, my favourite part of management games is rewriting history and seeing statistics, I love to track race wins, podiums etc.

I was also involve for a while with the old F1CM/GPRM 10-15 years ago, which never made it past BETA, literally feel like I’ve been waiting 20 years for this

where can i find that grand prix world mod you are talking about?
Im loving that game.

hopefully frontier brings up a game with a lot of depth.

Trouble is, F1 is a sport where the interest comes from the subtlety and nuance within it.

If you're just going to make a "racing game" (be it a driving sim or management game) then you really need to make the best game possible in order to capture players who already play other games.
If you're determined to make an "F1 game" then you need to find ways to make it specific to F1 while depicting the interesting things about F1 in an, erm, interesting way.

I bought Motorsport Manager, for example, which isn't an official F1 game but it is, obviously, intended to be a full-on clone of F1 and includes all sorts of underhanded shenanigans.
Trouble is, the vast majority of that stuff is either really, really, boring or it's incredibly fiddly and repetitive.

Creating an F1 game that's both fun to play and depicts the intricacies of F1 is a minefield of potential pitfalls.

Top Bottom