General / Off-Topic Frontier Direct-to-Drive, who needs a publisher ?

I've read comments about Frontier not being able to find a publisher for Elite IV (which can be found here), which in my opinion is nonsense - I bet they would be climbing over each other for it. However, if for any reason a publisher can't be found, why not just use Steam or any other Direct-to-Drive method to let users download the game to their systems?

The same can be said for consoles as well as PC's, such as using Xbox Marketplace.

As long as users can back-up the game using some secure method to prevent copying then it would seem the best solution.

Elite IV is just one example here.

David Braben

CEO & Founder
Frontier
Darkman said:
I've read comments about Frontier not being able to find a publisher for Elite IV (which can be found here), which in my opinion is nonsense - I bet they would be climbing over each other for it.

It is completely untrue - it is amazing what people will write, and then it becomes "fact" because someone else had written it. We have not sought a publisher for Elite IV; indeed publishers have asked about it too.

It is also amazing how topics develop a life of their own. This Eurogamer piece was reporting an interview on C&VG (see this thread) and the Eurogamer piece itself has been quoted all over the place.

I dont belive a word what other say about Elite IV unless its not coming from Mr.Braben him self.

Hope i dont have to wait too long though ;)

RE: David B

There is a lot of disinformation on the internet. I'm also amazed how low some people will go to insult and create a negative feeling towards a company or individual when they have no real reason - except for jealousy at another person's success or because they feel good putting others down. Some of the comments in response to that article where unjust and its great to see that one or two posters put things into the right context.

I think the PS3 looks like a fine machine, having checked out all the hardware analysis on BBC news its amazing - I want one too. Having bought my 360 fairly recently I will have to wait some time before I acquire a PS3. Its funny how you come across some 360 owners who will quickly put the PS3 down and they haven't even seen one in action yet.

As for Elite IV, that's great to know that a number of publishers have asked about it - I guess they know a winner when they see one.

RE: Vikinger

I never believe in rumors either. As for any info on E4 I'm just happy to know that it's been worked on :).

Darkman said:
RE: David B
As for Elite IV, that's great to know that a number of publishers have asked about it - I guess they know a winner when they see one.

RE: Vikinger

I never believe in rumors either. As for any info on E4 I'm just happy to know that it's been worked on :).

Ditto - Fully agree.

I know controversy sells 'papers' but surely there are more imaginative people out there than the writers that dream up that pap :rolleyes:

There is so little information available about the game that people are unsurprisingly clutching at straws, especially in an age where chinese whispers seems to be all the rage in media of all formats.

It is a shame however that the ones stating the rumours are probably of the same ilk as the celebrity gossip crowd, where anything is worth publishing in order to get people to read it, instead of properly verifying a story first.

It is a shame however that the ones stating the rumours are probably of the same ilk as the celebrity gossip crowd, where anything is worth publishing in order to get people to read it, instead of properly verifying a story first.

Sad, but true.

Top Bottom