Frontier Expo 2017 - Is there enough space? :)

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Hey all,

This is not meant to sound salty, so I am going to try not to make it sound salty. A number of my friends and I am sure some of you on PS4 have booked tickets for the Frontier Expo this weekend. I have, and I am really looking forward to it. I was reading the schedule today and one of the big events for me is the 5pm Main Stage event which includes, Elite Dangerous: 3304, a look at the future year in Elite development.

I am pretty sure this is I what most Elite players will be interested in throughout the entire day.

https://expo.frontier.co.uk/news/elite-dangerous-3304

I noticed at the bottom of the page it says, Please note That seating is limited (front row section seating will be reserved for Founder's Ticket holders), and standing space will be available in accordance with fire regulations. Make sure you are there ahead of time if you want to secure your place at the talks.

I can totally understand the need for health and safety and I am not even fussed about seating but it does strike me as an odd thing to put at the bottom here, yes I know the venue is only a certain size, but, Frontier will know how many tickets are sold (as they are sold out). Frontier must know this is going to be the big event for most Elite players and I like other players have spent money on tickets, travel and accommodation.

I know I will be absolutely gutted to miss out on this so I am curious if its just legal speak or if there really have been way too many tickets sold for the capacity of this main stage?

I hope not. Thing is you don't want to start queuing for that event as the previous one finishes? :)

Just wanted to get it off my chest. I would be interested to know how many other PS4 peeps are going to be at the Expo?

Cheers,

I am guessing, but I would expect that it'll be very similar to the stage events that are run at most Expos.

If everyone turns up, there is insufficient capacity but working on typical turn-around times,
a percentage of people will not turn up
a percentage of people will be doing other things at the time
a percentage of people will have had enough by the time and will have gone home.

Beyond that, I would expect a queue to start 45-60 minutes before the show is scheduled to start and people will gravitate towards it.
Health and Safety will be keeping an eye on the queue (clicker counting how many people are in the queue and making sure people aren't blocking fire exits etc)

Summary to your point, Frontier will be hoping that there will be too many people still in the expo to all get into the stage area as it will mean a successful expo.

Lloyd Morgan-Moore

Producer
Frontier
Keep in mind that this is a Frontier Expo, we'll be covering other games besides Elite; not everyone with a ticket will necessarily be going to the Elite talk at 5 as we're doing talks on other titles during the same time block.

I'd also be interested in seeing how many PS4 players are going, I'll be on the show floor meeting people so come over and say hello if you see me!

Keep in mind that this is a Frontier Expo, we'll be covering other games besides Elite; not everyone with a ticket will necessarily be going to the Elite talk at 5 as we're doing talks on other titles during the same time block.

I'd also be interested in seeing how many PS4 players are going, I'll be on the show floor meeting people so come over and say hello if you see me!

As the old saying goes: "careful what you wish for". You don't wanna be cornered by me and stormy ;)

you just won't see any console players on the front seats.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator

Definitely. There is at least 3 of us Lloyd and we are looking very much forward to meeting you. As Mr SV says we will be hunting you out. :D

Last edited:
This isn't unusual planning. Trust me, do you want to get out some overhead footage of Download festival, do some photo imposition, and tell me what happens if the entire 80k crowd decides to visit the main stage at once? ;)

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
This isn't unusual planning. Trust me, do you want to get out some overhead footage of Download festival, do some photo imposition, and tell me what happens if the entire 80k crowd decides to visit the main stage at once? ;)

This isn't download and there isn't 80k tickets. :D

This isn't download and there isn't 80k tickets. :D

Principle still applies. The entire crowd of download couldn't turn up to one stage; you have to account for people viewing the other stages, eating food at the time, avoiding crowds because they don't like crowds, vomiting in the hedges because two bottles of rum sounded like a good idea...

If they actually turn a reasonable amount of people away it'd cause very justified backlash.

That said, I always chuckle when I see something like "Make sure you are there ahead of time if you want to secure your place at the talks". For anyone that remembers the slightly odd Little Britain follow-up Come Fly With Me, I just think of the Speedy Boarding sketch, where it's implied you might not get a seat if they're all full, and so are sold a Speedy Boarding pass...and when someone asks how successful the Speedy Boarding Passes are, the attendant states "everyone on the flight's bought one so far".

Heh.

[video=youtube;BOrhMcqx6vw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOrhMcqx6vw[/video]

Last edited:

Lloyd, I might be misunderstanding the schedule but it looks like the main stage at 5pm has talks for upcoming content for all three franchises. A sort of end of day wrap up of all thing Frontier. If that is the case, everyone will be being herded to the main stage for 5pm. It won’t just be Elite

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Lloyd, I might be misunderstanding the schedule but it looks like the main stage at 5pm has talks for upcoming content for all three franchises. A sort of end of day wrap up of all thing Frontier. If that is the case, everyone will be being herded to the main stage for 5pm. It won’t just be Elite

That is a very good point! Lloyd? Are there 3 sections to the main stage?

Lloyd Morgan-Moore

Producer
Frontier

All 3 are listed at the same time and on the same stage but I imagine some people will only be interested in particular titles and may come and go depending on the talks. I can't say for certain though, they may all be rolled into one so probably best to get there early!

All 3 are listed at the same time and on the same stage but I imagine some people will only be interested in particular titles and may come and go depending on the talks. I can't say for certain though, they may all be rolled into one so probably best to get there early!

I don't do this all too often, but I'll admit to being wrong earlier in the thread. This is poor planning and service.

I don't do this all too often, but I'll admit to being wrong earlier in the thread. This is poor planning and service.

Well Apple does the same for it's reveals. It is just one big show. Or E3 Sony or Microsoft conferences.

Also considerable amount of people most likely will be interested in all three titles, so caution about getting a seat or place to stand is sound.

Lloyd Morgan-Moore

Producer
Frontier
Please keep in mind that I'm not the one planning Frontier Expo; I'm sure there are plenty of plans in place for the 5PM talks as they'll certainly be popular. The team have been working super hard to provide the best possible experience. When I say "rolled into one" I don't mean that they'll literally be at the exact same time, that would be chaos!

Top Bottom