Frontier Expo ED Speculation

The Frontier Expo is Saturday October 7 in London. They'll show Jurassic World Evolution and new information about Elite Dangerous season 3.

Season 3 is primarily about core game improvements. We might get atmospheric landings and space legs inside ships.

What do you think they'll show for ED?

Update: you can watch the livestream here.

Last edited:

I think the Expo will be focused on Jurassic Park and Planet Coaster, and most of what they'll show & talk about for Elite will be simply highlighting 2.4 and what's going on in the game right now with the Thargoids. Maybe we'll see a sneak preview of the T-10. I expect they might reveal how the game will be monetized going forward, moving away from the Season model and transitioning towards content being sold on the Elite Store instead, in smaller bite sized DLC's. And they might talk a little bit about what comes after 2.4, but not too much as they probably haven't really started planning anything concrete yet anyway. I doubt they'll show anything coming next year after 2.4 because, again, I don't believe they've really started on it yet.

In short, I'm not expecting too much. Whatever 3.0 will bring us we'll start hearing about it next year after 2.4 is all done with. That's my hunch.

Last edited:
I love the game, but I might hold off on getting the next season till they announce atmosphere landing. I would like to see that more a priority then space legs.

I really want them to overhaul air traffic control. I would love to see them put you in a holding pattern and wait your turn to dock.

I honestly do not know. But I will predict that a lot of folks will have fun. Wish I could be there.

But if I came to England (again) I'd have to stay awhile and see the country (again but with my wife).

Chief

I'm betting a lot of questions answered either by "Soon™", "Well, you know, things! and stuff! and reasons!", or "Look! Shiny thing over there!".

Then, forum posts about it and me all
tenor.gif

Last edited:
I think they should better be able to show anything, because the last 5 days managed to make people mad across the board, equally ing off those who care about the thargoids and those who don't.

Between the thargoid band aid, the missions nerfs and the community submission shutdown, I don't think they skipped giving the middle finger to any sub-set of players except probably explorers, who instead are still mad about their planet colours.

So...I think FD is about have some fun trying to salvage this mess.

I think they should better be able to show anything, because the last 5 days managed to make people mad across the board, equally ing off those who care about the thargoids and those who don't.

Between the thargoid band aid, the missions nerfs and the community submission shutdown, I don't think they skipped giving the middle finger to any sub-set of players except probably explorers, who instead are still mad about their planet colours.

The finger is given to explorers by default.

Funny ... I'm not mad or angry .... why is that?

Chief

Last edited:

Well you'd think, but its clear the entity of FD/ED has a serious personality disorder of some sort and thus, making these messes are fun in the sun for this group.

I personally just can't imagine both space legs AND atmospheric landings coming out at the same time - both are enormous tasks in just raw assets alone.

I do have higher expectations than any of the 2.X announcements, due to the nature of this being a dedicated Frontier event.

While it'd be nice to see a preview of the T-10, it'd be preferable to see upcoming things from 3.0. Hoping that there's gonna be core game play improvements shown, or at least outlined. Is it still too soon for atmospheres? It'd be a nice surprise, of course!

Expect a whole truckload of disappointment.

As suggested by Mengy, it will likely be a celebration of Planet Coaster and Jurassic Park. The former appears to be the star child and the latter is the new IP cashcow. Elite Dangerous just doesn't seem like a priority to this developer anymore, given the state of quality control, the pace of updates, and complete lack of communication. Any news about 3.0 will inevitably be shadowed by the current state of 2.4 and I hope--HOPE--that any ED players in attendance really hold Frontier to account for such a shoddy display.

We might get atmospheric landings and space legs inside ships.

Don't hold your breath. Since the focus has already been confirmed to be improvements to existing features, atmospheric landings or space legs would have to be added as an afterthought. We all know they'll require too much work for that to be possible.

They don't expect me to pay for season 3 do they? Cause that's just unethical and they make enough £ from the micro transactions. I picked this game up a few months ago in the steam sale for £20 for ED+EDH and considering the hot mess it is, it's not worth the full price of £40 and a "DLC" that lifts this game out of beta is not additional content.

The Frontier Expo is Saturday October 7 in London. They'll show Jurassic World Evolution and new information about Elite Dangerous season 3.

Season 3 is primarily about core game improvements. We might get atmospheric landings and space legs inside ships.

My hope is that they'll make mention of improvements to Exploration, Expansion of the Favour System introduced in 2.1 & introduction of a Brokerage for Data & Materials.

Interestingly, the people who visited Frontier HQ earlier this year-to do voice over work-hinted at seeing some really cool stuff related to post 2.4 game-play.....even if they weren't allowed to talk about it at the time.

Sandro will be attacked by the Space Loach.

Dav will be eaten by a server.

-And Ed will lose his beard.

I strongly suggest you remain sober for the entire duration. Or you might have nightmares.

I think the Expo will be focused on Jurassic Park and Planet Coaster, and most of what they'll show & talk about for Elite will be simply highlighting 2.4 and what's going on in the game right now with the Thargoids. Maybe we'll see a sneak preview of the T-10. I expect they might reveal how the game will be monetized going forward, moving away from the Season model and transitioning towards content being sold on the Elite Store instead, in smaller bite sized DLC's. And they might talk a little bit about what comes after 2.4, but not too much as they probably haven't really started planning anything concrete yet anyway. I doubt they'll show anything coming next year after 2.4 because, again, I don't believe they've really started on it yet.

In short, I'm not expecting too much. Whatever 3.0 will bring us we'll start hearing about it next year after 2.4 is all done with. That's my hunch.

Except that the specifically said that this event was aimed at revealing stuff about post 2.4 plans.....so I sense that your post is more about your own rampant negativity than it is about the reality.

They don't expect me to pay for season 3 do they? Cause that's just unethical and they make enough £ from the micro transactions. I picked this game up a few months ago in the steam sale for £20 for ED+EDH and considering the hot mess it is, it's not worth the full price of £40 and a "DLC" that lifts this game out of beta is not additional content.

Given the strong financial position of the company, I think they can easily take a year off from charging people.....plus, this is core game-play improvements as opposed to an entirely new season of material.

We might get atmospheric landings and space legs inside ships.

That's a truckload of optimism you got right there

Honestly? I don't expect anything, and I mean quite literally nothing. There could be a "cqc with the developers live from frontier expo" event with zero announcements whatsoever and I'd still be not surprised at all.

Top Bottom