Frontier please look at this list

Planet Zoo is no doubt the best zoo game ever developed up till now, frontier did an amazing job, and I really appreciate all the efforts that were put in this game, and because its one of my favorite games ever, I reported few things on the issues tracker since the game launched, but unfortunately none of them were fixed or changed, so I thought of making a full list of the suggestions and minor fixes and tweaks, so maybe this way it will grab some attention from Frontier, and they might consider this list.
I will not be talking about any new animals or items, just some small updates or minor changes and fixes that will make a big difference in the game.

Habitats:
1- Building habitats with multiple gates, its more realistic, and would be very beneficial in some designs of the habitats.
2- The ability to specify the number of guests in the walkthrough habitats: All of us are struggling with shy animals especially if they are in a walkthrough habitat, and no matter how many signs you put or foliage you add or even hide places and hidden shelters you build, you will still face an issue of stressed animals, and its really annoying, so maybe its possible for frontier to add a small feature to specify the number of guests that can enter inside the habitat at the same time.
3- More types of gates, with different sizes and material that match more with the fence height and material.

Exhibits:
1- To have more sizes for the exhibits, currently the size of the exhibit in the game is 4x4x4 which is not suitable for some species, we need a bigger size to contain large snakes and big lizards, and also we need a smaller one for the insects, it doesn't make sense to keep couple of spiders or small insects in a 4 meter size exhibit.
2- To have other shapes of exhibits such as cylinder or a square with round angles instead of the current sharp angles, etc.
3- More customization within the exhibits, the current features are good, but still not enough, or maybe the option to build the whole exhibit from scratch if possible.

Animals:
Regarding the animals as I said before I will not be requesting to add any new animals, just some enhancements to the current animals roster:
1- Since the introduction of the color variations, the white llamas were removed so please can we have them back?
2- Adding more color variations to the Timber Wolf, or at least just add the black color to the current collection, because its the most obvious missing one.
3- More herding or grouping for some animals within the habitat, if you look in the game at the animals that form a herd or big groups, you will see them scattered all over the habitat, while in real life you will see them forming closer groups, this applies on so many animals such as the buffalos, gazelles, reindeers, antelopes and even the flamingos.
4- Keeping juveniles closer to their mothers, juveniles should stay more than 80% of their time next to their mothers, while in the game you can't see this kind of bond between them.
5- Reduce the running and walking for most animals, if you look closely at the animals you will see them running and walking a lot within the habitats, while in real life you will find that most of their time they are either sitting, sleeping or eating.
6- Lower the depth requirements for diving and removing the need for 4m deep water diving for the Giant Otter and Caiman, because you can see in zoos that otters and caimans can dive in 1 or 2 meter ponds.

Enrichments:
1- The animation is broken for the "Tree Scatter Feeder" when its used by the elephants (both Asian and African), either they don't use it at all, or they use it with weird animations.
2- The "Suspended High Grazer Feeder" doesn't show that its filled with food anymore, while I remember when the game first launched, I used to see green leaves coming out of it when the keeper fills it with food.
3- Some animals that came later in the game can't use some enrichment items, and some new enrichment items can't be used by the animals that were introduced earlier in the game, that's why frontier should make a full review on the enrichment items, and add the proper enrichments for each animal (Maybe we can prepare a list in another post later on)

Items:
1- Add the missing wall pieces for all the walls - Every wall shape for every set (round window, half arch, etc.)
2- Add non grid pieces for every wall set (We have them now for some sets only).

Paths:
1- Enable to build a 2m or 3m width paths for both the normal and staff paths, the same as the existing queue path.
2- The option to remove the kerb from elevated paths.
3- Have a fix or a proper underwater path.
4- Each path type has its own fence, why can't we select the fence that we need to combine it with the path, so it would be awesome if we can mix and match the paths and fences.
5- Add flexi-color to some path types such as the "Craze Mosaic" path, and the "Palace Tile" path , etc.

Rides:
1- Adding a feature to make the tracks invisible for the safari jeep ride and the boat ride.
2- Ability to build a one side station only, instead of having 2 sides, especially for the boat ride.

Blueprints:
I have downloaded lots and lots of blueprints from the workshop, but after some time it becomes very confusing and hard to find an item that you are searching for in the menus, when every single menu is filled with blueprints, I know that there is a filter to switch them off, but still its annoying to click it every time you open a menu, so I want to suggest the following:
1- Add an option in the game settings for the blueprints to decide whether they are visible or hidden.
2- Add an option in the game settings to decide if the blueprints will appear in all the menus or just the blueprints menu only.
3- Add an option to the filter to distinguish the prefabs from the workshop blueprints, now you can just switch all the blueprints on or off.

UI:
1- Sort the dropdown list of the work zones alphabetically when you need to assign a staff to work zone, its really time consuming to find a work zone when the list is very long.
2- The animals timeline doesn't match in the game, in some animals if you go to the timeline tab you will see that the animal became elderly, but on the animal overview tab or in the zoo animals list it will show it as adult, so there is something that does not match, can you please look into this bug, its really confusing and annoying.
3- No matter how much bedding you add for the Flamingos, it won't be calculated and displayed properly in the bedding section when you select the habitat.

Notifications:
I have noticed that there are some different notifications that has the same icon such as the Offspring, Conceived Offspring, and Maturation plus all the notification icons are grey, so why not to make these notifications color coded.
For example:
New Animal: Purple Icon
Conceived Offspring: Orange Icon
Offspring: Green Icon
Maturation: Blue Icon
Traded: Yellow Icon
Fight: Red Icon
Death: Black Icon
and after the color coded icons add a filter to select which type of notifications you would like to see, this way you can easily read through the notifications especially if you have a big number of animals.

Sandbox Mode:
1- Research is always completed in sandbox, but it would be cool also to have the option to do the research in sandbox mode, I personally enjoy doing the research.
2- Each biome has its own terrain paints, we need in sandbox mode to have all the terrain paints from all biomes no matter in which biome your zoo is located.
3- Add the Orange\Red sand to the terrain paints.
4- In sandbox mode you can decide if you want to disable all the animals welfare, but it would be amazing if there is a way to select for which animal species you want to keep it off, and also if possible to select even which category of the animal welfare (for example you want to switch off the animal temperature for a polar bear that you want to place in a hot biome, or maybe switch off the cleanliness of the peafowl since they produce a lot). I know its maybe a bit complicated but it will open a lot of freedom in playing the game.
5- Add an option to disable the water temperature regulator.

Zoopedia:
1- Add some filters to the zoopedia (List animals by continent, by biome, and by enclosure type (Habitat or Exhibit)) .
2- The African Lion map displays the locations of all lion species - African and Asiatic - while it should display only the location of the "West African Lion", so this should be corrected to have only the countries of west Africa, which are mentioned correctly in the page.
3- The population of the Western Lowland Gorillas in the wild is up to 100,000 while in the zoopedia it shows 150,000 to 250,000 which is wrong.
4- The name of the Capuchin monkey is very long in the zoopedia, so why it won't become only "Capuchin Monkey" and keep it in the description as "The Colombian White-Faced Capuchin Monkey", the same as frontier did with the Dhole and Babirusa.

Misc.
1- More control over the tegidcam.
2- Wires & Pipes system, a system like this would be very helpful and realistic for the electricity and waterflow, we all hate the negative effect of the water pump and electrical motor and how sometimes they take a lot of space because of their negative effect radius, plus its difficult sometimes to find a proper place for them. So it would be a cool new feature to have it in the game.

So what do you think guys? If you have anything else in your mind I would gladly add it to the list above.

Last edited:
I do absolutely agree with all of this. I would like to know why it was needed to get rid of the white and the leucistic Llama (maybe for some Reason only a specific Number of Variations and Mutations is possible per Animal?). I know from my Llama Farm that it is possible to selectively breed Llamas that are almost completely white but it's just not the same. Grey Llamas and more Fur Patterns for all Colors and with mixed Colors would be really great.

Regarding the Timberwolf they should also add a white Variation. I wish there would also be Variations of the Timberwolf without the almost completely white Snout. This doesn't seem to be very common

These are all great suggestions that I would love to see implemented. I would also like to see the desert terrain color added to the terrain paint tool so we can keep the orange look.

I would love the ability to turn the visual grid on or off regardless of what you are doing, sometimes I want to add pillars or something to a building and it's really tricky to make them look even, if we had the ability to turn the grid on/off then I could see how far apart they are and make them the same.

Another thing I think would be beneficial would be to make the building pieces more manageable. Like sometimes I would like to turn a wall piece upside-down or on its side and we cannot do this. Also to be able to group them better, for example if I use walls to make a habitat fence then I don't necessarily want them to follow the grid (I find perfectly square habitats quite boring) but every time I place a piece down it creates a new group which I don't want it to do and it then won't let me join the groups together or select them all and then duplicate so I have to do it individually which can be very frustrating when building large habitats.

I would love the ability to turn the visual grid on or off regardless of what you are doing, sometimes I want to add pillars or something to a building and it's really tricky to make them look even, if we had the ability to turn the grid on/off then I could see how far apart they are and make them the same.

Another thing I think would be beneficial would be to make the building pieces more manageable. Like sometimes I would like to turn a wall piece upside-down or on its side and we cannot do this. Also to be able to group them better, for example if I use walls to make a habitat fence then I don't necessarily want them to follow the grid (I find perfectly square habitats quite boring) but every time I place a piece down it creates a new group which I don't want it to do and it then won't let me join the groups together or select them all and then duplicate so I have to do it individually which can be very frustrating when building large habitats.

That's why I have mentioned in the list to add non grid pieces for every wall set, which will enable you to do all that, and will give you much more freedom in building.

I would also like to see the desert terrain color added to the terrain paint tool so we can keep the orange look.
That is unfortunately not possible. The best they can achieve on the Cobra Engine is to make it possible to select eight different terrain textures (as they did in Planet Coaster), however they likely won't add this ability to Planet Zoo because it makes it impossible to work around the animal's needs.

That is unfortunately not possible. The best they can achieve on the Cobra Engine is to make it possible to select eight different terrain textures (as they did in Planet Coaster), however they likely won't add this ability to Planet Zoo because it makes it impossible to work around the animal's needs.

Well, would it not be possible to say, have each type of the terrain fixed (grass, long grass, soil, rock etc.) but we could select from which biome we prefer each of these textures? For example, you have to have a sand texture, but you could choose from what biome the sand would be as they are different for each map.

I really like the tropical rainforest soil with leafs, would love to be able to have that in temperate biome instead of the current temperate soil.

Totally agree with this and I know some people don't like it but it's possible to do exactly that with mods and it makes building soooo much easier and opens up a whole new world of possibilities. I really don't understand why we can't have it as an option in the game, simply toggle the grid for pieces on and off. It saves a lot of time, pieces and clicking between 100 building grids for one simple building that doesn't follow the 90° angle the game wants us to use for grid pieces...Same goes for the hitboxes btw, can easily have all the adults use the baby hitbox, granted there might be some clipping but again give us the option to turn it on or off and everyone can decide for themselves whether clipping or being able to build stables and gates etc. in a realistic size compared to the animals is more important to them.

And the multiple gates thing, so much yes! It's a pain to get larger habitats set up and make them work or ones that go over paths where the animals can walk through tunnels but keepers can't reach the other side. Just let us place an entrance on both sides and there won't be any problems whatsoever.

Those are all very useful suggestions. I agree most with your habitat suggestions (multiple gates and especially a limit for the walkthrough habitats) and the herding.

totally agree and i think your suggestions will really improve our experience with this beautiful game and let our creativity be free, you really coverd a lot of ideas that me and other players been thinking about. yet i still have more ideas or suggestions but I'm afraid some of them can be very difficult for the devs anyway i will start so

Habitats:
  1. As you already said multiple gates, it will be very helpful for the staff instead of taking a long walk to get to the gate on the other side of a big habitat also for some designs it will look good
  2. New gates, i think it will be visually pleasing to see a gate thats similar to the same material and height your habitat barrier is instead of a big random metal door in your green hedge barrier or a wide wooden gate in your red brick barrier
Exhibits:
  1. Again as you said the sizes should be more realistic
  2. buildable exhibits?, like you can adjust the water and place the stones and plants where you want maybe adjust the soil/sand terrain as you want so basically a miniature habitat too much?? lol
Animals:
1. the skin/coat verities update was amazing and i really appreciate the devs efforts but maybe it can be a lot better and i mean a lot better and each one of your animals will be so unique and more realistic too i mean we all know that zebras patterns are different and each individual animal have his own unique pattern like a fingerprint also leopards and many other animals so what if they made a new color system maybe similar to the one in ark survival evolved with the color regions also maybe make 10 patterns with 10 colors for each color regions and by regions i mean like some areas or parts like tusks/horns/eyes/head/top body/bottom body/shoulders/ etc.. and with the 10 patterns and 10 colors you will get about 100 results or possibilities.

the color regions system from ark:
color regions.jpg

i wish they do this system for peafowls mostly just look their colors (just imagine these colors in your zoo garden or greenhouse roaming in your colorful plants collection)
peafowls 2.jpg
peafowls1.jpg

Or this beautiful golden leopard swimming in the new tropical or azul water

leopard.jpg
0_MAIN-MAIN-strawberry-leopard.jpg

Also having melanistic and vertigo animals would be cool but of course with a very small percentage of happening to make them as rare and hard to have as they are in real life.

2.Ages/life stages, i think it will be amazing if the aging system was more detailed like baby juvenile young adult adults and old instead of baby and adult with noticeable changes in the appearance for examples you can see the mane of your lion get thicker and grow more and spread as he gets older or the tusks of the elephants get taller some get curved and the camels humps get bigger and bigger and when he gets old it falls to the side longer horns for some of the herbivores too. so many examples
Lion mane variations.jpg

honestly the ideas i have about the animals are a lot but i think this is good for now.

Enrichments:
  1. more materials variants, i mean some are made of wood while they will fit my desgin more if they were made from metal and vise versa like the girrafe feeder
  2. animals feeders, so bored of the feeder we have in game the shape the material almost everything i would like to see some feeding troughs plastic wooden metal and for the carnivores i think a big chunk of meat tided to a rope that can be attached to the roof or a tree would look cool
Items:
more arches, different shapes that comes that comes in three pieces top arch/half arch/complete arch(the one in the game)
architectural-types-arches-icons-vector-17952195.jpg

Paths:
  1. changeable fence/railing
  2. colorable paths, the same paths noting new but you can change the colors
Others:

Wires&Pipes system, a system like this would be very helpful and realistic for the electricity and water flow i mean we all hate the negative effect of the water pump and electrical motor and how sometimes they take a lot of space because of their negative effect radius. the same utility pieces but with wires/pipe lines coming form them to a building and it will provide electricity for everything in that building or even under paths/grounds and powering the education boards/speakers kind similar to sim city system underground not effected by terrains it can go through terrains and not effecting the visitors.

just throwing some suggestions hope a couple of them make it to the game especially the wires and pipes one, sorry for my bad english lol.
also your colored notifications suggestion is highly needed for real.

i wish they do this system for peafowls mostly just look their colors (just imagine these colors in your zoo garden or greenhouse roaming in your colorful plants collection
This would be great. But I wish for them to add it in the same Way as they did with the leucistic Mutation (I think they are also inherited in the same Way the leucistic Mutation works in the Game). Don't want to get other Colors all the Time if I want to keep only the normal colored Peafowl. I think I would have a lot of Fun while trying to get every Peafowl Mutation. I'm also hoping we'll get the Green Peafowl someday even though many Players probably won't like it

Well, would it not be possible to say, have each type of the terrain fixed (grass, long grass, soil, rock etc.) but we could select from which biome we prefer each of these textures? For example, you have to have a sand texture, but you could choose from what biome the sand would be as they are different for each map.

I really like the tropical rainforest soil with leafs, would love to be able to have that in temperate biome instead of the current temperate soil.
I don't know if that method would be strictly possible or not - I assume so, since as I said, in Coaster they allowed you to switch out terrain textures for other terrain textures before playing, so theoretically allowing you to switch out 'temperate soil' for 'tropical soil' should be possible. I'm not a technical expert, though - IIRC Chante spelled this out herself in the past on another thread on the subject.

--

On that note, regarding peafowl colours, Frontier has also said they won't be adding all the different variants, because those come about due to domestic selection, not natural mutation. At least, that was their excuse for not doing it - frankly I don't see why it should matter because they included the llama, which is a domestic barnyard animal, and most peafowls in zoos are domestic anyway (i.e. from a private market, not a breeding programme).

On that note, regarding peafowl colours, Frontier has also said they won't be adding all the different variants, because those come about due to domestic selection, not natural mutation. At least, that was their excuse for not doing it - frankly I don't see why it should matter because they included the llama, which is a domestic barnyard animal, and most peafowls in zoos are domestic anyway (i.e. from a private market, not a breeding programme).
I think I've read somewhere that those Mutations also occur in the Wild but are normally bred out of the Gene Pool very quickly if they aren't selectively bred

I think I've read somewhere that those Mutations also occur in the Wild but are normally bred out of the Gene Pool very quickly if they aren't selectively bred
Most of them occur naturally due to inbreeding, as in other animals (albinism and leucism both occur more often in inbred populations), but usually the individual doesn't survive long in the wild with that kind of mutation so the genes simply aren't passed on. So it's correct to suggest that they occur at least most commonly in domestic populations, where colour mutations are selectively bred for their ornamental value.

As I said, though, I don't see why that should matter in Planet Zoo. Once they included the llama, any notion that they're focussing on only wild animals flew out the window.

totally agree and i think your suggestions will really improve our experience with this beautiful game and let our creativity be free, you really coverd a lot of ideas that me and other players been thinking about. yet i still have more ideas or suggestions but I'm afraid some of them can be very difficult for the devs anyway i will start so

Habitats:
  1. As you already said multiple gates, it will be very helpful for the staff instead of taking a long walk to get to the gate on the other side of a big habitat also for some designs it will look good
  2. New gates, i think it will be visually pleasing to see a gate thats similar to the same material and height your habitat barrier is instead of a big random metal door in your green hedge barrier or a wide wooden gate in your red brick barrier
Exhibits:
  1. Again as you said the sizes should be more realistic
  2. buildable exhibits?, like you can adjust the water and place the stones and plants where you want maybe adjust the soil/sand terrain as you want so basically a miniature habitat too much?? lol
Animals:
1. the skin/coat verities update was amazing and i really appreciate the devs efforts but maybe it can be a lot better and i mean a lot better and each one of your animals will be so unique and more realistic too i mean we all know that zebras patterns are different and each individual animal have his own unique pattern like a fingerprint also leopards and many other animals so what if they made a new color system maybe similar to the one in ark survival evolved with the color regions also maybe make 10 patterns with 10 colors for each color regions and by regions i mean like some areas or parts like tusks/horns/eyes/head/top body/bottom body/shoulders/ etc.. and with the 10 patterns and 10 colors you will get about 100 results or possibilities.

the color regions system from ark:
View attachment 218161

i wish they do this system for peafowls mostly just look their colors (just imagine these colors in your zoo garden or greenhouse roaming in your colorful plants collection)
View attachment 218164View attachment 218166

Or this beautiful golden leopard swimming in the new tropical or azul water

View attachment 218171View attachment 218172
Also having melanistic and vertigo animals would be cool but of course with a very small percentage of happening to make them as rare and hard to have as they are in real life.

2.Ages/life stages, i think it will be amazing if the aging system was more detailed like baby juvenile young adult adults and old instead of baby and adult with noticeable changes in the appearance for examples you can see the mane of your lion get thicker and grow more and spread as he gets older or the tusks of the elephants get taller some get curved and the camels humps get bigger and bigger and when he gets old it falls to the side longer horns for some of the herbivores too. so many examples
View attachment 218197

honestly the ideas i have about the animals are a lot but i think this is good for now.

Enrichments:
  1. more materials variants, i mean some are made of wood while they will fit my desgin more if they were made from metal and vise versa like the girrafe feeder
  2. animals feeders, so bored of the feeder we have in game the shape the material almost everything i would like to see some feeding troughs plastic wooden metal and for the carnivores i think a big chunk of meat tided to a rope that can be attached to the roof or a tree would look cool
Items:
more arches, different shapes that comes that comes in three pieces top arch/half arch/complete arch(the one in the game)
View attachment 218209

Paths:
  1. changeable fence/railing
  2. colorable paths, the same paths noting new but you can change the colors
Others:

Wires&Pipes system, a system like this would be very helpful and realistic for the electricity and water flow i mean we all hate the negative effect of the water pump and electrical motor and how sometimes they take a lot of space because of their negative effect radius. the same utility pieces but with wires/pipe lines coming form them to a building and it will provide electricity for everything in that building or even under paths/grounds and powering the education boards/speakers kind similar to sim city system underground not effected by terrains it can go through terrains and not effecting the visitors.

just throwing some suggestions hope a couple of them make it to the game especially the wires and pipes one, sorry for my bad english lol.
also your colored notifications suggestion is highly needed for real.

I have added all of your suggestions to the list above, except of the animals section, they are cool points but I think they are a bit complicated for the game, and I can't see frontier going that road, especially that they have mentioned before that they will not be adding the color mutations for the peafowls.

I really loved your idea about the wires & pipes, its very cool and a game changer, it will make our life much easier, and the building within the game would be more realistic.

Last edited:
Remember, the game shouldn't become too complicated.

While being able to organise the Zoopedia by another means apart from name, it means yet another box or option.
Same with terrain. It's nice having variances in different biomes as it stops me playing in the same old one all the time.

Remember, the game shouldn't become too complicated.

While being able to organise the Zoopedia by another means apart from name, it means yet another box or option.
Same with terrain. It's nice having variances in different biomes as it stops me playing in the same old one all the time.
But it's actually complicated without search options.
I get the terrains but if we could change them 1:1 from other biomes that would be nice.

But it's actually complicated without search options.
I get the terrains but if we could change them 1:1 from other biomes that would be nice.
In Planet Coaster the option to do so came with a scenario editor tool they created. It's possible they might do something similar for Planet Zoo towards the game's end.

Top Bottom